Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Women who ride -take a look..........  (Read 4077 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Women who ride -take a look..........
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »

I just heard on a radio show today that the woman owner of a business called Diva Customs is in the process of writing a book about "Why do women ride?" She is looking for women riders to email her with comments on why they ride.
I think it would be great if we could get some CVO ladies into her book!  :2vrolijk_21:
Here is a link to her shop's website and under the contact page is Tami's email address.

http://www.divacustoms.com/index.shtml

SPIDERMAN

Re: Women who ride -take a look..........
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:20:41 PM »

I just don't get this. For over 30 years, women have been beating us men over the head with equality issues and now they're writing books that to my way of thinking create division.This isn't the first For Women Only issue I've seen recently.  I would assume that a woman rides a motorcycle for the same reasons any man does. And I'm hoping that since this is not only a motorcycle forum but a forum for folks who are crazy enough about the lifestyle to spend twice as much as the average rider that I don't need to explain why men ride motorcycles. How many times have we all heard the expression, " if I have to explain you wouldn't understand " I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I got over the " wow, look, it's a girl riding a Harley" thing about 20 years ago. Now I just see a fellow traveler who enjoys getting to and fro the same way I do. In other words, I treat a woman rider as my equal which is what I thought they've been trying to get us guys to do all these years.

Just my $0.02

B B
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:31:30 PM by SPIDERMAN »

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

SPIDERMAN, :2vrolijk_21:.     axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »

I just don't get this. For over 30 years, women have been beating us men over the head with equality issues and now they're writing books that to my way of thinking create division.This isn't the first For Women Only issue I've seen recently.  I would assume that a woman rides a motorcycle for the same reasons any man does. And I'm hoping that since this is not only a motorcycle forum but a forum for folks who are crazy enough about the lifestyle to spend twice as much as the average rider that I don't need to explain why men ride motorcycles. How many times have we all heard the expression, " if I have to explain you wouldn't understand " I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I got over the " wow, look, it's a girl riding a Harley" thing about 20 years ago. Now I just see a fellow traveler who enjoys getting to and fro the same way I do. In other words, I treat a woman rider as my equal which is what I thought they've been trying to get us guys to do all these years.

Just my $0.02

B B

Couldn't agree more Brian.  I'm also very much of the "it's a rider" mindset.  Beyond that it just doesn't matter.  I used to always say "I don't care what you ride, where you ride, how you ride or who you ride so long as you get on the road and ride."  Then I realized a few years I don't even care if they get on the road and ride so long as they leave me the hell alone when I do.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »

Not to defend or disagree w/any of what you guys are saying, but I think one reason we might see more of this type of thing now is because it's becoming more "mainstream" to see women riding vs being BSR's. I see the same thing happening at dealers when the have "Ladies Night" for things other then just shopping. Is it creating separatism... maybe, maybe not... can it increase riders on two wheels... I hope so. In doing that it increases awareness of us and possible gives more of a stance when fighting for biker rights.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:54:22 PM »

OK, I am probably going to get ripped for this.... IMHO there are many reasons why some of the female riders may want to put a book together. Maybe they took up riding for different reasons.... A cancer survivor carrying out a wish made if and when they beat the cancer, A widow who has taken up riding in memory of her late spouse, because they got tired of riding behind their husband or boyfriend... you get the point. Who knows, It's like the post i read earlier about the woman who had her late husbands ashes put into the paint on "Their Bike" and know is riding it solo. As you and Brian stated I also see just the rider be it male or female. As I see it they are doing their thing and I'm doing mine... Enjoy!!!!! Hey if nothing it would or could be an interesting read. To each his own, Keep riding and worry about the other stuff when we can't ride anymore. Just my two cent's!

Let the Ripping begin!!!!!
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »

OK, I am probably going to get ripped for this.... IMHO there are many reasons why some of the female riders may want to put a book together. Maybe they took up riding for different reasons.... A cancer survivor carrying out a wish made if and when they beat the cancer, A widow who has taken up riding in memory of her late spouse, because they got tired of riding behind their husband or boyfriend... you get the point. Who knows, It's like the post i read earlier about the woman who had her late husbands ashes put into the paint on "Their Bike" and know is riding it solo. As you and Brian stated I also see just the rider be it male or female. As I see it they are doing their thing and I'm doing mine... Enjoy!!!!! Hey if nothing it would or could be an interesting read. To each his own, Keep riding and worry about the other stuff when we can't ride anymore. Just my two cent's!

Let the Ripping begin!!!!!

No ripping at all.  Completely agree that someone might have unique and very interesting reasons for riding.  And I could be intrigued and entertained by the stories; as I have been by the stories from others in the past. 

That intriguing or interesting story stands on its own with its own provenance though.  The man or the woman's story is interesting because it is.  Not just because it's from a chick on a bike.  The woman that thinks her riding story is special just because she rides from the distaff side is very likely to be the stereotypical chick on a bike rather than a woman bike rider.  The former, quite frankly, just doesn't interest me very much.  The latter is simply another rider.  That interests me because someone else to ride with is almost always a good thing.

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »

That intriguing or interesting story stands on its own with its own provenance though.  The man or the woman's story is interesting because it is.  Not just because it's from a chick on a bike.  The woman that thinks her riding story is special just because she rides from the distaff side is very likely to be the stereotypical chick on a bike rather than a woman bike rider.  The former, quite frankly, just doesn't interest me very much.  The latter is simply another rider.  That interests me because someone else to ride with is almost always a good thing.

Well put 2LN, I couldn't agree more. I guess my point was and is there are some good stories out there that probably will do more good shared with the world and MAYBE inspire more ladies to get out and join the ranks of riders out on the city streets and state highways. I just can't wait for a little better weather to get out and do some riding with anybody.
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »

I just heard on a radio show today that the woman owner of a business called Diva Customs is in the process of writing a book about "Why do women ride?" She is looking for women riders to email her with comments on why they ride.
I think it would be great if we could get some CVO ladies into her book!  :2vrolijk_21:
Here is a link to her shop's website and under the contact page is Tami's email address.

http://www.divacustoms.com/index.shtml

What is she going to write about next??? 'Why do women join the Armed Forces'  ?? owner Diva is after a buck.  My wife just knurled her head and said, 'tell owner Diva to take her own solo ride, she will have all her answers.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:22:12 PM by sportygordy »

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 05:31:33 PM »

What is she going to write about next??? 'Why do women join the Armed Forces'  ?? owner Diva is after a buck.  My wife just knurled her head and said, 'tell owner Diva to take her own solo ride, she will have all her answers.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I am familiar with owner Diva and you have hit the nail on the head.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »

Maybe it's someone just trying to make a buck writing a book they think will appeal to women.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »

I hear what you guys are saying , but talk to a woman rider and get her thoughts. I hosted a night for a group called WOW [ women on wheels] In talking with them they feel that they are treated differently by Dealers and  Service Departments . The clothes stocked by Dealerships are for small Deva like gals not the average woman. When they talk to service people they are talked down to . they feel, right or wrong, that they are seen as posers not real riders. I think they are looking to identify with there own kind who have like ideas. If you look around the dealership you will see that you guys are not so unlike each other. You have your uniform and look alike appearance that Say's I'm a Harley rider, they are trying to find there place in that arena . Maybe the book will help. JMO
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 10:25:14 AM »

Maybe it's someone just trying to make a buck writing a book they think will appeal to women.

Not against anyone making a buck,,, :2vrolijk_21: as long as they WORK for it. Owner Diva wants the fems to email her??? Come-on... she needs to hoof it and do her one-on-one interviews, get out on the road like the REAL fem riders do and experience the Harley life hands one. She wants to write a book by simply cutting and pasting everyone's but her own work... I wont buy her book.. Sorry if you disagree, but my opinion here.  :nixweiss: If owner Diva wrote the book on real life experience with her butt in the saddle, i might.....  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »

There's a club here called "Dykes On Bikes"! Does that count? :confused5: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

And WOW stands for something else around here!!! ::) :D :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »

There's a club here called "Dykes On Bikes"! Does that count? :confused5: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

And WOW stands for something else around here!!! ::) :D :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
OK I'll bite what does WOW stand for there. Inquiring mind's need to know :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.