Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: If your bike has a tour pack I suggest you read this.  (Read 9823 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: If your bike has a tour pack I suggest you read this.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I have heard on other forums of the tether breaking even when the lid is NOT flopped open. One guy posted how he opened the lid, bent down to his saddlebag and when he looked up the tether was broken and the lid was all the way over. I think it's just a lifetime cycle for that tether which seems to fail at the worst time. And the added weight of a tourpack rack and inside lid organizer compounds the problem.

I checked and the lid IS fiberglass. Interestingly enough I have had two body shops tell me different things. One shop said that FG is good because it is easy to work with and is more durable than ABS, and another told me he could never properly fix the hinge area of an FG lid and to just buy a new ABS one. I always thought FG was better, stronger and easier to work with, but I may be wrong. I sent the stuff off to a shop for repair/paint yesterday and will see what he says.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I have heard on other forums of the tether breaking even when the lid is NOT flopped open. One guy posted how he opened the lid, bent down to his saddlebag and when he looked up the tether was broken and the lid was all the way over. I think it's just a lifetime cycle for that tether which seems to fail at the worst time. And the added weight of a tourpack rack and inside lid organizer compounds the problem.

I checked and the lid IS fiberglass. Interestingly enough I have had two body shops tell me different things. One shop said that FG is good because it is easy to work with and is more durable than ABS, and another told me he could never properly fix the hinge area of an FG lid and to just buy a new ABS one. I always thought FG was better, stronger and easier to work with, but I may be wrong. I sent the stuff off to a shop for repair/paint yesterday and will see what he says.

Mark

There is no fix for ABS its just junk when cracked. We have that problem all the time with plastic boat docks, just junk. Every body shop knows how to work with fiberglass though.  Doc

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 06:56:21 PM »

There is no fix for ABS its just junk when cracked. We have that problem all the time with plastic boat docks, just junk. Every body shop knows how to work with fiberglass though.  Doc

That's what I thought. Then i got confused when the guy who told me to buy a new lid said that there might not be enough of an exisitng lip (you saw where it was cracked) for them to work, with meaning that whole hinge area may just be a bunch or little cracked pieces. I always thought they could cut out the whole thing and just build and form a new lip. So in effect, it's not just a repair of the cracked lip, but a wholesale manufacture and replacement of the hinge area.

Does that make sense?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »

That's what I thought. Then i got confused when the guy who told me to buy a new lid said that there might not be enough of an exisitng lip (you saw where it was cracked) for them to work, with meaning that whole hinge area may just be a bunch or little cracked pieces. I always thought they could cut out the whole thing and just build and form a new lip. So in effect, it's not just a repair of the cracked lip, but a wholesale manufacture and replacement of the hinge area.

Does that make sense?

Mark

Thats what it is, but repairable. They had to do that to my Rat Bushtec lid, but there was enough of a gap for the extra thickness.  Doc

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »

Lou,

My parts arrived at the painters today. He took a look at them and said he could repair it no problem. He said it would be just as if not stronger than before. He said he could work with ABS too but that fiberglass was much easier and much stronger. He'll send me pics as the work progresses.

Mark

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:38 PM »

Lou,

My parts arrived at the painters today. He took a look at them and said he could repair it no problem. He said it would be just as if not stronger than before. He said he could work with ABS too but that fiberglass was much easier and much stronger. He'll send me pics as the work progresses.

Mark

:2vrolijk_21:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 12:42:05 AM »

Doc,

I got some pics from the painter today. The fiberglass hinge area is repaired and the parts are primed. Painting is the next step. This is going to turn out VERY well.

Mark

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 01:16:12 AM »

Doc,

I got some pics from the painter today. The fiberglass hinge area is repaired and the parts are primed. Painting is the next step. This is going to turn out VERY well.

Mark

Great to hear the good news. Hope to see the finished product soon. Lou
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.