Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: What is the proper Rider Etiquette?  (Read 5750 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: What is the proper Rider Etiquette?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 08:30:51 AM »

Would the Sporty rider get wetter if the bike had synthetic or dino oil in it?

There is no data to support or refute that hypothesis.  However, nitrogen in the tires and fuel will indeed keep the Sporty rider dry while providing the power and handling necessary to outrun the storm. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »

Rick, maybe she's a grape smuggler.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »

There is no data to support or refute that hypothesis.  However, nitrogen in the tires and fuel will indeed keep the Sporty rider dry while providing the power and handling necessary to outrun the storm. 

Jerry

Oh yeah, riding inside the nitrogen gas bubble.  I didn't think of that.  Problem would be the snorkel though.  If it rained too hard the Sporty rider might drown :nixweiss: ?

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »

Would the Sporty rider get wetter if the bike had synthetic or dino oil in it?

If someone got soaked riding a Sportster in the rain and nobody saw it, would the rider drip?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »

If someone got soaked riding a Sportster in the rain and nobody saw it, would the rider drip?

Only if the tree fell on him/her/it.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 10:35:02 AM »

This has been the most entertaining thread I've read in awhile  :huepfenlol2:

IMHO : 

It depends on what the lead rider wants to do !! . If the lead rider pulls over the sporty can always say, "I'm gone, see ya up the road". Respect and communication is key  :2vrolijk_21:

As for just leaving the rider : I would never leave a friend/brother or sister on the road no matter what the scenario .

We are all adults and can make decisions on our own but to just ride off without saying anything to anyone is unacceptable. As little as a hand juster is communication enough for me.

I wouldn't pass a bro in a u turn, pass a bro in a single lane, cut somebody off outright. So why would I leave a bro just to suit myself  :nixweiss: at the expense of others  :nixweiss:.

:drink: :drink: :drink:
  Life is to short

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Dracula

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »

Find cover...pour cold water on sporty...wait until everything is dry...ride on.

:vampire:

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »

I ride with a group who seems to always think they can ride through it.  Then they get wet and think there's no sense putting on the gear now.  So they're cold and miserable.  I guess I should say I used to ride with them.

Bikers are supposed to be loners and independent.  I always know where I'm going, I always know how to get there and I always have the right gear to get me there.  I stop, I gear up and other than my wife (who's libel to be the chick in the white shirt!) I don't G.A.S. about anyone else in the group.  If I'm leading the group I stop before the rain starts.  If you elect not to gear up then you're getting wet or stopping by yourself.

Etiquette. Harumph.  Srew 'em and do what you want!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

I usually ride with a jacket. Even when just riding the Hills locally, there is always a chance of storms. Thunder storms here in the summer usually are preceded by 10 minutes of hail and then the rain. It can be 100 degress and still hail. Last time I rode with guys who didn't have any rain gear, those of us that did shed the jackets and put on rain gear. That gave us a few extra jackets for the "had-none" guys and at least kept them from being pounded by hail..

jimbob

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »

You all have been pretty much right on the money......

1. Sporty did show up with no gear, so there was no need to offer up space.
2. Sporty was not a braless girl with a tee shirt (that would have made all of this simpler)
3. Sporty only had sleeveless t shirt (male)
4. Sporty should have prepared better and we laughed at the prospect of rain
5. It did start to rain and after many times of delaying putting on rain gear, it rarely pays off to delay.
6. We stopped, the sporty was freaked but he stayed with us because of our visibilty.
     The actual time lapsed was a little over 10 min. the baggers got a little wet, sporty got a lot wet
7. We talked about it later and do not think we would have driven out of it anyway.
8. Sporty was cold, wet and miserable (no helmet, no wind shield, no jacket)
9. ultimately I believe Sporty was safer with us, but he had a hard time knowing that we were all very comfortable and
     not experiencing his pain.
10 The ultimate insult was when I remembered that I kept several trash bag liners in my bags (I forgot, we were rushing to get our    
    gear on)
    I carry them just in case of many scenarios. (they do not take up room and are light) and can be made into many things like
     temporary rain gear if you cut holes.
11. All ended up that he will pay more attention to weather, carry/get rain gear and may look into buying a bagger....
12. I thought that this minor dilemma would be interesting since most of us have been the "Sporty" at one time.
     now I live to "not" be the Sporty.......

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:13:27 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »

Like they say, live and learn. We all figured it out the hard way at one point. I'm betting Sporty will come better prepared next time.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »

I wouldn't pass a bro in a u turn, pass a bro in a single lane, cut somebody off outright. So why would I leave a bro just to suit myself   at the expense of others  .

Life is to short

After meeting Marty at Clovis I know he means this.

I stop, I gear up and other than my wife (who's libel to be the chick in the white shirt!) I don't G.A.S. about anyone else in the group.

After reading about the accomplishments of the Eagle Scout project I don't think the intent of this statement is how it may be getting interpreted.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=49999.0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:48:08 PM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 08:25:43 AM »

After reading about the accomplishments of the Eagle Scout project I don't think the intent of this statement is how it may be getting interpreted.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=49999.0
Well, I've never left a biker sitting on the side of the road without making sure there's nothing I can do to help.  But that doesn't mean I should make myself miserable because someone else is being stupid.  When the crew I ride with chooses to try to ride through the rain and ends up soaked, why shouldn't I stop and take proper precaustions?  Sporty's choice to forgo gear.  Sporty's choice to forgo storage space on bike.  I've been sporty.  I got wet.  I got cold.  I survived.  So in this particular case, I'd stop gear up and Sporty can choose to wait or try to brave it on their own.

Or to put it this way, why would they be so uncarring about my comfort and safety?  I will be much safer if I'm not a shivering frozen posicle.  But I will tell you one thing I absolutley would do for him or anyone else.  Slow the heck down.  Bike hydroplane.  I've seen guys trying to out run the rain come within an inch of losing it because of that.  I was one of them.

Ride Safe,
JC

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »

Hydroplaning is high on the "pucker" factor

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15:12 AM »

There are too many circumstances that can be included in these scenarios that can impact a decision one makes.

JC,
I initially thought your reply was of a real hard ass who is self centered and doesn't care about anybody else.  After getting to know a little about who you are from previous entries and reading this I was confused because it wasn't in line with what you are about. I decided to push towards the good stuff I've read and give you the benefit of the doubt.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.