Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What to pack for long distance runs  (Read 3995 times)

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: What to pack for long distance runs
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »

I always travel two-up and my saddlebags stay packed 12 months out of the year. 

On one side, Got a gallon of gas, siphon hose (used to travel with a person on a V-Rod), my rain suit, rain over gloves, spare fleece vest, travel bike cover, tire plug kit with the CO2 carteridges.  The other side, my wifes rain suit, spare fleece vest, H-D tool kit, another tool kit about that size with a few good wrenches, pliers, fuses, 3' of wire, 27 Torx screwdriver, etc., a First-Aid Kit I bought from Aerostitch, another First-Aid kit I put together about the same size (lots of 4 x 4 pads, tape, scissors, benadryl, usual stuff), 1 qt of oil.  The tour-pak will have some light sticks, tape and few more goodies. 

The clothes for a trip we can get in the bag mounted on the tour-pak, after all you only need the clothes you got on and one other pair of jeans, a few t-shirts (you will buy more), socks and underwear. 

Like somebody else stated before, you can always buy stuff along the way.   

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »

Kinda hopin WFP will chime in on this one since I would expect he leaves home with only the t-shirt he's wearing.

If you know Bill, you know why I'm saying this.  ;D

B B

Half_Crazy

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »

This is so simple it's almost not worth posting.
Pack one days worth of clothes, rain gear, your leathers and a stack of Benjamins.
Buy new clothes along the way and when your tour-pak and saddlebags are full, either do your laundry or ship the dirty stuff home via UPS and buy more. If your bike breaks down, call a tow truck, spend money- -- - back on the road.
Who says money can't buy happiness.

I like your attitude. I know someone who tows a pop-up camper with the bike. He goes to an area and sets up camp, rides a few days and moves to another area. I said if it was me, I'd tow the bike with my camper. You'd have a nicer 'home', be out of the weather when moving from good riding area to good riding area, and your motorcycle could be more like a motorcycle and less like a station wagon.

Just sayin'

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=63365&group_ID=17898&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

This is the best tool kit you can carry in your bike.

The best think that I carry is "Stretch and Seal Tape, Self -Fusing" 

Nashua Stretch & Seal Self-Fusing Silicone Sealing Tapes Nashua Stretch & Seal Silicone Sealing Tape can be used to repair and seal pipes, electrical wires, hoses and other items. The versatile product is also ideal for a myriad of general household applications, as well as on sporting good equipment. It will stretch to conform to almost any surface and can be used to cover sharp edges. Stretch & Seal tape can weather just about any storm with its chemical- and UV-resistant silicone coating, while protecting objects against rust and corrosion. Self-fusing silicone creates a permanent, water-tight seal. Easy to apply and to remove - no sticky residue left on surfaces.

AND last not least my CIGAR LITER AND CUTTER.....never leave home without it!!

$280??  Might want to check out CruzTools. Their biggest kit has evertything you could possibly need and it's pretty decent quality. I've got the RoadTech H3 and got it for less than $100.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »

Great ideas guys. Yes im married but shes not going, Someones got to stay home and work to pay for the toys. Was thinking about the 45  but traveling across the border stops that idea. The gas can looks interesting has anyone used 1?

Easy to find reciprocity between States concerning permits to carry.  While WV does not require you to inform an officer of the law you have a firearm in the vehicle, I know from personal experience the State of Ohio does.  F-5 Felony.  Cost a fortune to get indictment quashed.  They kept my Model 19.  >:( Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »

I received a suggestion once that was a good one.  You probably have old socks and underwear that need to be thrown away.  Take them on the trip and after you wear 'em, toss 'em.  I agree with taking less tee shirts than you need because you'll be buying some along the way.  I always carry a light weight duffel bag and some bungee cords.  If you do pick up items along the way, you can stuff them in the duffel bag and can almost always find a place to stuff the bag and secure it with the bungees.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 12:25:25 PM »

My 1st post on this thread was 1/2 in jest and 1/2 wishful thinking. I've traveled with folks who had the means to do as I suggested and watched with a sort of wistful smile on my face as they solved whatever problems pupped up by tossing money at them. In truth,I pack - - a lot of chit. So much so that for several years while I was still able to ride coast to coast, I wondered what I'd do when my wife was finally retired and able to ride with me since usually I had both saddlebags full, the tour-pak packed and a bag on the tour-pak rack full as well. No room left for wifey in that. The real and honest answer to this question is like most things related to motorcycle riding. It depends on the rider. You have to answer questions like - how long, how far, do I want to do laundry, what is my skill level on repairs, what can I fix with just hand tools and so forth. Depending on those variables, you pack accordingly.

B B

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »

Best thing I ever did was get my Bushtec trailer. I carry all the safety
things in the trailer, along with warm/cold weather cloths.
The other reason for the trailer, "I never overload" the bike,
and I can buy a lot of chit on the road.
The "TAZMUN"

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »

OK I will chime in with some of my past experiences, all of my rides have the same packing requirements thanks to FedEx.

My Honeymoon:
Ride - Bangor Main through Nova Scotia then down Tampa.

Tools: CruzTools kit, a big lock blade knife, flashlight, tire plug and CO2 repair kit, hose clamps, two long leather shoestrings.
Clothes: All leathers, two jeans, 4 days of the rest for each of us.
FedEx nice shirt and pants and a jacket shoes socks and her things to our hotels in Boston, New York City, and Tampa. Included a return box in every shipment sending them back to the her office.
Consumables: Water, Nuts, Breakfast bars, Sunscreen, lotion, etc..
A credit card capable of buying a new bike if needed!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

The FedEx idea is credited to my Wife, pretty darn clever I thought. No luggage rack and one bag for tools and leathers, she gets the trunk and I get the other bag.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:39:53 PM by duranh »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »

Speaking of these Tire Repair kits, I have the Stop and Go kit with the CO2 cartridges. I hear those are fine for smaller tires, but not for more than one.  I was wondering, if you have an onboard air compressor for your rear shocks, can you use that somehow with the right hose, etc?  I just checked Legend's site and don't see anything, but that just sparked an idea!  Adding a 3-way valve of some sort, that can connect to a 6 foot removable hose with tire adaptor could be a nice set up!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:30 PM »

Road America (HOG) Road Service....they don't just take you to the next town, they take you to the next dealership even if it's five towns away!  Cell phone and credit card are first three priorities.

Cruz Tools tool kit, my personal tool kit (it has everything), syphon hose, depending on the time of year and destination....either heated gear and rain suit or cool vest, ice chest in the tour pack...full of diet Pepsi, 5 Hour Energy, a couple of energy bars, clothes, small first aid kit, sunglasses, sunblock, Motrin, etc.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »

cigars, bourbon, thats about it. oh, and a visa card
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »

cigars, bourbon, thats about it. oh, and a visa card

Now here's a man with his priorities in order   :2vrolijk_21:

B B

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »

Speaking of these Tire Repair kits, I have the Stop and Go kit with the CO2 cartridges. I hear those are fine for smaller tires, but not for more than one.  I was wondering, if you have an onboard air compressor for your rear shocks, can you use that somehow with the right hose, etc?  I just checked Legend's site and don't see anything, but that just sparked an idea!  Adding a 3-way valve of some sort, that can connect to a 6 foot removable hose with tire adaptor could be a nice set up!

You should be able to tie the existing T from the old air shocks, on top of and behind the left saddlebag, into the Legend system and use the valve you used to fill the old shocks with to tie into the system.  I think the same people who make the Stop and Go stuff have a hose that will work...Gold Wing riders do this, if I'm not mistaken.  I've got the hose, but have not tried it on my new bike...on my '06 SEUC, I couldn't get the bicycle type connection onto the valve on the rim, because of the rim style I picked, and didn't have a 45 degree valve on the rim... :duhk:

I'll give the new bike a try with the same hose...I tied the Legend air supply into the old T just in case the compressor ever goes out on a trip.  I did that on the old bike too...you could at least get to a gas station and pump it up enough to get you home in relative comfort.  I'll let you know if it works...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 02:03:14 AM »

I do have a really small air compressor that my Uncle designed for his bike, I might add that to the list for this summer considering the 200 on the rear.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.