Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wheel chock mounting  (Read 1681 times)

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
Wheel chock mounting
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »

Ok I just bought and enclosed trailer, and have a wheel chock to mount.  I would like some advise on how to position it to get the right balance for weight on the hitch when the bike is loaded.  The trailer is 10x6 with single axle and v-nose.  Also would like any suggestions on mounting the chock. The trailer floor is 3/4" plywood.  Thanks

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Wheel chock mounting
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:42:42 PM »

On a single axel one-bike trailer I would find the center line of the trailer axel, mark it on the inside, then try to have the center of the bike there or possibly just a little in front of there. 

Not sure of the type of chock you are using, but I always bolt it thru the plywood and use a fender (large) washer on the bottom side.  Once bolted down and I am sure that is where it is going to stay, take a cold chisel to the bolt threads underneath just to make certain that it can never back off. 

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

Not much to add to that, but I would put the rear tire just touching the centerline. This would put the weight a little forward and would add some tongue weight.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »

Here is a formula I found

You should have 10-14% of the total wieght on the hitch with the remaining 86-90% on the axle. So...
1)Measure the distance from the center of the hitch to the center of gravity.
2)divide by percent you want on the axle.
3)Result is the distance from the center of the hitch to the center of the axle.

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »

One method:

Gross weight of the trailer and the bike = Combined Gross Weight. (Example: 1000lb trailer + 800lb bike = 1800CGW)
Multiply Combined Gross Weight by 9% giving minimum tongue weight. (1800CGW X .09 = 162MinTW)
Multiply Combined gross Weight by 15% giving maximum tongue weight. (1800CGW X .15 = 270MaxTW)

Lock/brake trailer wheels to prevent rolling forward and backward.
With trailer hitched to vehicle load your bike balancing weight over axle so you should be able to lift tongue weight off hitch. (Put a jack/block/stump at rear and front of trailer to prevent excessive tipping. And use tie downs on bike to prevent tipping/rolling).

Build a stand/platform (Concrete blocks/stump) the height of your vehicle hitch to place under tongue and use a bathroom scale to place on top of platform.

Place trailer tongue on scale. (2X4 3.5 inches long as base to sit tongue on to keep off edge of scale)

Adjust bike load forward or backward to get the tongue weight you prefer. (Following our example you would start with 216lbs. Mid point between 162 and 270 lbs.)
MaxTW - MinTW = Range / 2 = MidRange + MinTW = MidTW (Example: 270 - 162 = 108 / 2 = 54 + 162 = 216lbs)

Once you have the bike load where you want it straighten the bike and front wheel, place the wheel chock against the wheel and mark your drill holes through the bolt holes in the chock.
Use bolts and heavy duty flat washers against underside of floor combined with lock washers against flat washers. (Do not use screws.)

(In this example I think I would prefer to have a little more weight towards the 270 than a lesser weight towards the 162. It may also depend on if you want to unhook your trailer with the load in and move around by hand.)

(NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUGGESTED MATERIALS OR IDEAS AS I AM NOT NORMAL.)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:27:13 AM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »

Thanks, just the information I was looking for.  I had planned to use the bathroom scale, and just wanted some idea of what I should try to end up with as tongue weight.  I am using a Harbor Freight wheel chock.  It is the one for use on a garage floor because it has and added support across the front, that I think will add stability to the set up when installed in the trailer. I have one now that I sue in the garage to hold the bike up right to save space and to make it easy to clean and service.   So far it has worked great. I plan to use nylon locking nuts on all the bolts. 

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 21 queries.