Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Blasphemy - Gold Wing Thoughts  (Read 5681 times)

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Blasphemy - Gold Wing Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »

Agreed plus they have the ability to keep George Jetson mobile.  ;D  Wonder if they'll ever do a V-6 and narrow the profile. Could affect the balance I guess. When I went from a GL1200 flat 4 to the GL1500 it was like switching to an electric motor as far as smoothness is concerned. Maybe it's just too much finess and why  it doesn't have any character. It does allow you to check out your tunes and scenery I guess. Plus they can pull some big a$$ bike trailers...more so the 1800. Not ready for a trike yet but I reckon I could consider that option.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

DOOFUS

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »

So true.  Well said. 

There, IMHO, is the real difference.  Reliability and function trumps "style" every time in my book, and for those who can only swing having one bike it's a dilemma.  Go with the proven reliability, power, handling, and comfort of the Honda "appliance", or take your chances with the stylish but not so reliable Harley?  I guess the answer is for everyone to own both.  As soon as they cut the prices to less than what a decently equipped midsize car goes for these days, maybe more of us could do that.  All I know is, if I were planning to ride across a desolate desert without a fully equipped chase truck, I'd be much more confident doing it on a Honda than a Harley. 

Jerry ;)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »

I agree with TC....If just getting from point A to point B then the Honda is OK....but it's got no personality or "soul". They are all kind of vanilla.....You don't stop and look at one and say look what they did there or cool mod...maybe you do only I never looked :nixweiss: I also agree if I were in the market for a non Harley tourer, I'd be looking BMW....
X2 Me Too!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »

Dear Lord Man...Snap Out Of It!  Get Some ICE WATER On That Face!

;)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »

Good one Jock :huepfenlol2:

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

Is it true that Honda dealers will set you up with a free tattoo with the purchase of one of those plastic monsters?  :huepfenjump3: Just  sayin.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:07:57 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »

I was reading the last issue of Cycle World and they compared the GW and BMW 1600 GTL. CW tore the GW apart they seem to think the Beemer is a far superior machine. If I was to stray from the MOCO, id look into the GTL. I'd like to have enough power the scare the bejesus out of me, yet.
Supershooter

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »

I was reading the last issue of Cycle World and they compared the GW and BMW 1600 GTL. CW tore the GW apart they seem to think the Beemer is a far superior machine. If I was to stray from the MOCO, id look into the GTL. I'd like to have enough power the scare the bejesus out of me, yet.
Supershooter
Now read the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News!
The "TAZMUN"

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »

BMW 1600 GTL
   :2vrolijk_21:

If only the riding position was different....but can't have everything.  :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »

Ya, that was the deal breaker right there. Plenty of Tupperware on both and I was reading some of the BMW rider posts. Seems like both are a PITA to change the air cleaner and other maintenance.
2007 Softail Custom

Half_Crazy

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 08:53:58 AM »

Let's say you've been riding solo for a week or two, but your wife is going with you today. You need to put some air in the rear shocks....

On the Goldwing you turn on the key and press 'memory 2' on the fairing... done. Suspension adjustment by pressing a button. That's convenient. Reverse is not something you think about, until you need it. 95 horse to the tire without spending any additional money.

It has certain merit.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »

IMO if it has two wheels,get me from point A-B, and it's what I can afford I'll be happy with it. I do love my harley and Buell though.. My buddy wanted speed and reliability. He bought a Kawasaki Concourse.. Loved it @ first,then found it uncomfortable, his girlfriend thought it was cool at first ,now hates it.Guess what he traded it in on?
A Harley Davidson Electra glide !! and he has tons of plans for modifications.. 
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »

Let's say you've been riding solo for a week or two, but your wife is going with you today. You need to put some air in the rear shocks....

On the Goldwing you turn on the key and press 'memory 2' on the fairing... done. Suspension adjustment by pressing a button. That's convenient. Reverse is not something you think about, until you need it. 95 horse to the tire without spending any additional money.

It has certain merit.

Yeh, it was something I expected to see on the Harley. Kinda got used to having that onboard air compresor even it mine doesn't have the memory setting.  Nice to have a reverse once in awhile, just need to remember where to park but I usually back in most of the time anyway. But sometimes it's still handy to have. I put in a high amperage alternator last year and the WIng died about 2 weeks later just before I was returning overseas. Put in a new battery this year, good to go. The gelcell battery took a crap but it was because it sat too long. As long as I'm riding then I'm happy. Probably why I'm such a bag of marbles lately.
2007 Softail Custom

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »

Fun! 

It is the Fun factor.

Yea a Cadillac is more comfortable.  But I want the 1967 corvette.. It's more fun.

I ride for fun. 

Do you want the most comfortable transportation you can get in a motorcycle?   

Or do want the one that is the most fun?

Half_Crazy

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »

Fun! It is the Fun factor. Yea a Cadillac is more comfortable.  But I want the 1967 corvette... It's more fun.

I agree. I like riding the 'Wing but I wouldn't want to own it... then again I wouldn't want to own an Ultra either.

If I want to have wind protection, crash protection, heat, a stereo, GPS, and loads of storage space... I'll drive my truck. When on my motorcycle I want the motorcycle experience in spades. Yes, it's windy... Yes, it's loud... Yes, it vibrates... Yes, if it rains I get wet... it's a motorcycle, not a station wagon.

It also needs to excite me. Not just when I'm lookin' at it... but when I'm riding it. It needs to move with authority, it needs to handle, and it needs to stop as well as it goes. The thought of an 800+ pound, 65 horsepower motorcycle excites me about as much as watching paint dry.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:38:14 AM by Half_Crazy »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 24 queries.