Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: HOG MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS SHRINKING EVERY YEAR  (Read 8530 times)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
HOG MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS SHRINKING EVERY YEAR
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »

Mods move this if need be.

I just received my annual HOG member renewal packet and was surprised to see that the free towing feature has been removed for all membership classes including Life Members. You can purchase an upgrade but........gone.

Also, for the 4th consecutive year at least there is no new membership card.

So, I guess we get a magazine and that's about it.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: HOG MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS SHRINKING EVERY YEAR
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »

And don't forget, The Enthusiast (used to be free for everyone), was merged with Hog Tales (part of HOG membership); and is HOG magazine, not much left as far as benefits. HD forgets that HOG is credited with helping to save the company in the eighties.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »

Sorry but I must respectfully correct you. If you look look on page 6 of the adventure guide that came in the kit, you will notice that 1 tow is still covered up to $100.00 per year.

But they have stopped the fly and ride program. My guess is that the stealers didn't want to pay for the shop flunky to pick up and drop of folks at the airport.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »

lifer since 1991  every year it gets worst when i sign up much better i wonder if they are aloud to keep taking  and not giving  maybe there is a lawyer out there that would like to look into it
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:53:49 PM »

not looking for a legal debate but why do think they are obligated to give you anything? as a lifer you havent given them any money 20+ yrs
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »

not looking for a legal debate but why do think they are obligated to give you anything? as a lifer you havent given them any money 20+ yrs

I think the life membership is part of what hurts them revenue-wise... once a lifer pays the life fee, revenue from that member stops.... unlike the newbies that pay for the first 3 or so years.. but at some point there will simply be too many disgruntled HOGs that wont re-up for another year.

There are a couple of perks for being a State Rally Staff member.... not a whole lot... but some.

For me its more about the folks we meet and friendships we build upon.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

chromeaphobe

• Chrome Aphobe
  • Ride and Have Fun

• CVO1: 2011 Ultra Classic Road Glide - Grey and Black
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited - Red
    • My site
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »

Cheerish that magazine too.  Everyone is going green so that could end up being a digital version.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »

I'll play devil's advocate since I'm a Life Member also.  Admittedly, a Life Member that doesn't give a chit and whose only a Lifer because an old girlfriend thought the patch was cool (and also because it used to be cheap too).  But.....

If you sign up for a "life" membership to some club, any club, that has some specific set of perks that go along with membership it's not a tremendous leap to assume those perks continue as long as your membership.  I'll readily admit it's a short sighted assumption.  More likely is that your perks continue as long as the membership does and they adjust along with the perks of all the other members.

I'd totally disagree, however, with the assumption that just because I no longer paid dues to some club after paying the original larger fee for a life membership that said club was no longer obligated to me.  If they didn't want to be obligated to me for life they shouldn't of offered me a life membership to their club.  Just as if someone doesn't want to fix my broken thingamwidget forever they shouldn't have sold me a lifetime warranty. 

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:19:01 PM »

If you have AT&T for your cellular phone carrier, you get a nice monthy discount for being a HOG member, it's something!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:43:37 PM »

I'll play devil's advocate since I'm a Life Member also.  Admittedly, a Life Member that doesn't give a chit and whose only a Lifer because an old girlfriend thought the patch was cool (and also because it used to be cheap too).  But.....

If you sign up for a "life" membership to some club, any club, that has some specific set of perks that go along with membership it's not a tremendous leap to assume those perks continue as long as your membership.  I'll readily admit it's a short sighted assumption.  More likely is that your perks continue as long as the membership does and they adjust along with the perks of all the other members.

I'd totally disagree, however, with the assumption that just because I no longer paid dues to some club after paying the original larger fee for a life membership that said club was no longer obligated to me.  If they didn't want to be obligated to me for life they shouldn't of offered me a life membership to their club.  Just as if someone doesn't want to fix my broken thingamwidget forever they shouldn't have sold me a lifetime warranty. 

How'd you get a lifetime warranty on your thingamwidget?   :nixweiss: :P

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »

How'd you get a lifetime warranty on your thingamwidget?   :nixweiss: :P

He had to pay the premium for the extended coverage that doesnt cover wear ant tear items...  :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 11:04:20 PM »

He had to pay the premium for the extended coverage that doesnt cover wear ant tear items...  :huepfenlol2:

Ant tear?   What the hell is ant tear and does it hurt?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »

Ant tear?   What the hell is ant tear and does it hurt?

Comes with a free internet spelling and anti-sarcasm class... :)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »

Wait until we all see how Social Security plays out over the next 30 years! There's a membership most of us have paid into every year and expect to see some return on. Might not turn out that way...

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:30:10 AM »

I believe what HOG means for the MoCo should not be underestimated. All the other motorcycle manufacturers deeply envy Harley-Davidson for this enormous fan club, just look at BMW and their - mostly futile - efforts to copy it.

But as we live in the 2010s now HOG does need some realignment. In Germany at almost every directors meeting in the last couple of years obsolete structures and regulations were discussed. But to no avail as the HOG charter seems to be etched in solid american steel  ;D

Its certainly a different world over here but in Germany a steadily growing number of owners avoid the official HOG chapters and consequently don't renew membership. Entirely new approaches have to be found to attract those again and I don't think that's on focus for the HOG management presently. A very interesting idea for instance is www.webchapter.pl - off course a private, independent initiative  ::)

Over here there is simply no benefit left exclusively for HOG members, road assistance in Europe is plain worthless and all publications are published in the internet for anybody to read anyway. All that's left is a patch and a pin nobody needs and a booklet with useless maps and other info you get better over internet.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 05:02:43 AM »

While my membership keeps getting renewed for me because I keep filling the CVO coffers with new rides, I have to admit that the members packet that I receive each year seems to be getting thinner and thinner.  One thing I deeply miss is the National HOG Rally.  I thought those were great opportunities that, along with sites like this, gave you an opportunity to meet people from all over the country and even some from our brothers and sisters overseas.  I personally, was deeply saddened when they cancelled the national rally due to finances.  That to me was one of the greatest benefits of membership.

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »

The National rally is missed by me also.

If it were not for the good local chapter I doubt I would pay to renew, but the new bike comes with a year.

The maps are small, to hard to read.  GPS is much better or my big Atlas.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:42 AM »

I have the National only...Tried the Local years ago, Anne and I went to one meeting and could NOT deal with the petty BS being discussed...I already had too much of that at work.  Never went back.

For National, I paid for the Life Membership quite a while ago and believe the Towing and Breakdown was the main thing I liked, especially if you travelled to Canada from the US and add the optional coverage.  When we broke down in back in 2007 on our way to the Nelson GTG, it paid for Hotel and rental car for the weekend while waiting for parts while in Billings...over $900 IIRC.

Pins, Patches and Books have also been kept and filed away............somewhere.  The books were great in the pre-GPS days when looking for dealers for that souvenir shirt or two dozen.  I have not yet received my 2012 package.

Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 07:18:56 AM »

when you buy something they do not have the right to keep taking away  did i pay for something that said life iam not dead
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 07:54:52 AM »

I thought the whole HOG thing was hokey when it came out. My dealer offered me free membership back then and i never took it.

Became a member with the red bike and have kept it up for the road service but mostly for the guaranteed  10% off all the time at the dealer. The annual 20% night ain't too bad either.

If I wasn't planning tires and other stuff for this years 20% night the renewal sitting on my desk would already be in the recycling.

iPhone using Tapatalk
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »

when you buy something they do not have the right to keep taking away

Actually, yeah, they do.  They can't give you any less benefits than they do all the members.  But if the entire class (all the members) gets a benefit change "Life" members do to.  Life Members can't get treated worse than everyone else.  If everyone else gets screwed you do too.  It's about as exciting as kissing your sister.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:19:23 AM by Twolanerider »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »

I went to a few local chapter meetings of the three or four local chapters.....just never bought into all the power sturggles, cliques and bullchit excuses to ride.  It appeared to be a marketing tool from the MoCo and dealerships to get newbies to ride more and to meet other riders (neither of which I needed)......so they'd make more off the service end.  Breakfast rides, lunch rides, etc. and the destinations and locations of the rides.

I have maintained the national HOG just for the Road America service.  And yes, it's paid for itself on more than one occassion.  Ride with a piece of mind, having that road service. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »

While my membership keeps getting renewed for me because I keep filling the CVO coffers with new rides, I have to admit that the members packet that I receive each year seems to be getting thinner and thinner.  One thing I deeply miss is the National HOG Rally.  I thought those were great opportunities that, along with sites like this, gave you an opportunity to meet people from all over the country and even some from our brothers and sisters overseas.  I personally, was deeply saddened when they cancelled the national rally due to finances.  That to me was one of the greatest benefits of membership.

Same here on the National Rallies.  Actually, the rallies gave me & some friends a nice spot to hit as a destination at times, with low cost entertainment.  We usually spent very little time at the rally itself - a quick walk through & more time watching music acts we liked.  Mostly we rode the area & looked for stuff we had not ridden before.  The trips there & back were also fun, usually. 

It appears HOG is attending more local rallies - both Daytonas, etc. than they did when I first joined, 10 years ago.  As a Life Member have noticed the changes for the cheap.  Maybe at some point they will rethink the regional/national HOG rally deal when the economy picks back up - which is a couple of years off at best.

My personal biatch, since about all I have to look at in each year's package is a lil brass rocker year pin, a cloth rocker patch, and map book that is too small to be a valuable atlas but I do carry a copy in the truck in case a GPS craps out - is the design of the rockers.  This year's design is unbelievably bad.  Looks like a HOG employee (marketing?) gave their kid an X-Box game with a skull & they traced that skull & then took a ruler & drew diagonal lines around it for the 2012 rocker.  Looks like cold crap on a biscuit, maybe not quite that good.  Not that I am an art critic or anything but I can pee lines in snow that look better than that design.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Yoda

• Full CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Black Onyx, Heavy Breather, SE Slip Ons, HDRT, 10.5/1 pistons, 263E Cams
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »

I have been a member since 2003, so anything prior to that I cannot speak of.  I can agree that there is drama sometimes in chapters, but there is drama everywhere.  Being in America, if you don't want to be in a local chapter, don't.  Good chapters are a reflection on good dealer/sponsors.
I went Life last year and just got my renewal packet last week.  Yea, this year's design isn't that good.  With it came the 2012 Adventure Guide.  Now this probably cost quite a bit to print and mail to all members, and most likely is an attempt to publicize the benefits.  My membership does have it's privelages.  There have been new benefits added in the past few years.  AT&T, Best Western to name two.  If you don't like the benefits, don't be a member.  Remember we live in America. 
It was said here that it seems "hokey".  And maybe you are right, but a better marketing and business model is not out there.  Be a member, ride and have fun, get services, new tires, new bike, etc......   BRILLIANT!  Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Susuki, Ford, GM, etc have not been able to copy it.
I have been the Director for the local chapter, have been on the State Rally committees and participated in many, many rides and events.  I miss the national rallies for all the same reasons others have said here. 
I think the bottom line up front is that with restructering and the economy, it would be criminal to the stock holders for the MoCo to not do what they can to keep the company a float and strong. 
Just my .02
Yoda

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »

Could create a new membership called HIPPO. Harley Is Pissin People Off.

Could have a HIPPO mascot that represents our/your/their feelings.

http://www.wimp.com/hippogas/
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »

Or maybe since they don't get together in a National Group rally anymore maybe it's not a HOG just a bunch of Harley Owners so the new name could be HOs and when you buy your Harley you become a Harley HO....... :huepfenlol2:

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

Great post kraut,

I dont think that HOG only in Europe needs help, but here as well...

The Chapter manual is a guide, and independent chapters adapt changes with approval from HOG and the sponsoring dealer...

The Chapter I have chosen to join this year is in its rebuilding stages, and the first thing we are doing is looking over the history and WHEN things started going downhill...and what we can do to fix it...

What we have found is that this Chapter created bylaws which were accepted by the sponsoring dealer at the time and approved by HOG. Looking at them, they are simply a reiteration of the HOG manual with a couple of exceptions.

post more later...

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »

Or maybe since they don't get together in a National Group rally anymore maybe it's not a HOG just a bunch of Harley Owners so the new name could be HOs and when you buy your Harley you become a Harley HO....... :huepfenlol2:
[/quote

Now that is funny

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »

When you think about it.. HOG is just another marketing strategy for the MoCo...

Get a bunch of owners together.. they look at each others rides and customizing ideas, copy those and spend more money.. on accessories

Ride more, spend more in service, buy different riding apparel to suit the ride...

Now, on Chapters... I live on an island 112 miles around.. with no ferry, or truly efficient means to transport a motorcycle to another island or farther away. There are three dealers, with three Chapters. Each has had its challenges over the years (This year will be my 10th year in HOG) so I've seen it, watched it, and moved from point to point  to find the ideal chapter... That changes with the sponsor, and the members.

I'm now a Primary officer for 2012, trying to rebuild a Chapter that was hurt by past individuals. Good dealer relationship, good sponsoring dealer with some cool ideas. Putting a core group together to make rides fun is key.. remembering that we dont have a lot of places to go here.. so its more about how we get there, than how many miles we cover.

The Chapter-Dealership relationship makes things fly or fail, and the dealer has final say... Trying to make three functional chapters in this small space has always been a challenge... looks to be a promising year.... time will tell for us.

I know all about the cliques, and the petty chatter and BS, hence why I left a chapter I once loved... the officers changed and the chit hit the fan... it became about control, not about fun.... They lost 20% of thier membership in one quick sweep.. and numbers have dwindled since.

Like any social group.. its what you are willing to make of it.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »

I'd become a member except I just don't like that many people.  I know, it's not them but me that has a problem.  I get nervous in a large crowd of people.
Jesus is Lord

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »

What if in the quest for higher profits Harley decides to assassinate all of us life members?  We get what we paid for just a shorter time to use it.   :nervous:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 04:25:58 PM »

What if in the quest for higher profits Harley decides to assassinate all of us life members?  We get what we paid for just a shorter time to use it.   :nervous:

assassinate

:nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »

How!?!?  HOW!!!???  It wouldn't be something gross like Harley hires Rosie O'Donnell and Roseanne to three-way us to death;  would it!?!?   :o

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »

How could you bring up those two uh women?  Especially during the Holidays!   

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »

How!?!?  HOW!!!???  It wouldn't be something gross like Harley hires Rosie O'Donnell and Roseanne to three-way us to death;  would it!?!?   :o

I've been ruined...:)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 10:34:36 PM »

Huh.  There is no current danger in the MoCo attempting to assasinate Life Members, in part due to necrophilia laws that are on the books in most states. 

A Rosie/Rosanne 3 way is too disturbing to contemplate or comment further upon....except.....if there are videos figure somebody somewhere will post them.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 12:48:52 AM »

Huh.  There is no current danger in the MoCo attempting to assasinate Life Members, in part due to necrophilia laws that are on the books in most states. 

A Rosie/Rosanne 3 way is too disturbing to contemplate or comment further upon....except.....if there are videos figure somebody somewhere will post them.

I vote to ban the person that does...:)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »

And the first person that does is admittedly madly in love with her  :'(

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »

Ban is also a well known brand of anti-persperent, but not as permanent. ;D

Up until this point, this thread has had the decorum (it slid rapidly but maintained a tiny bit of it) to refrain from making gratuitous references to the rosie/roseanne presence in a thread about HOGS.  Alas, that tiny fraction that remained has now slid over the edge.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:48:04 AM by iski »

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »

Some posters are getting the local HOG Club mixed up with the National HOG membership.

If you just belong to your local HOG you couldn't go to or receive the "Benny's" of the National HOG.

As some pointed out, with the national HOG membership if you happen to not want to join the local club you could do the regional and national events. You were also entitled to the special discounts, free towing to a Harley dealer and of course the magazines, pins, rocker patches, new id card--etc.

Lifers are stuck since their money is already spent but Going forward, new and renewing members will have the choice NOT to renew if there is diminished or no perceived membership value. I am positive the membership price will continue to increase over time.

I continue to be perplexed as to why Harley fails to realize that the life members are a very important segment of their customer base and should be treated as such.

Like many "Lifers", I have been a Life Member for many years. In my case it's over 22 years now. I have bought a small fortune in NEW Harleys--28 to date. I have hung with the Motor Company through several down trends as well as the up trends. IMHO it's called brand loyalty and should be marketed to and valued as a sigificant asset.

Unfortunately I see no evidence that our long term business relationship has any more value to HD than the first time buyer who may be gone in a year.  

"It Is What It Is"

Jerry

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:56:28 PM by CVOStreetglide »

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »

Was Rosie brought into this scenario in case the lifer was a woman?  I am pretty sure the guys are safe around her.  :oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »

RIP...DON

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »

slid over the edge.

That could happen with either Rosie or Roseanne ??? .   Just sayin'.......

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »

That could happen with either Rosie or Roseanne ??? .   Just sayin'.......

True.

Somehow, this thread manages to endeavor to persevere to find new lows.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »

Some posters are getting the local HOG Club mixed up with the National HOG membership.

If you just belong to your local HOG you couldn't go to or receive the "Benny's" of the National HOG.

As some pointed out, with the national HOG membership if you happen to not want to join the local club you could do the regional and national events. You were also entitled to the special discounts, free towing to a Harley dealer and of course the magazines, pins, rocker patches, new id card--etc.

Lifers are stuck since their money is already spent but Going forward, new and renewing members will have the choice NOT to renew if there is diminished or no perceived membership value. I am positive the membership price will continue to increase over time.

I continue to be perplexed as to why Harley fails to realize that the life members are a very important segment of their customer base and should be treated as such.

Like many "Lifers", I have been a Life Member for many years. In my case it's over 22 years now. I have bought a small fortune in NEW Harleys--28 to date. I have hung with the Motor Company through several down trends as well as the up trends. IMHO it's called brand loyalty and should be marketed to and valued as a sigificant asset.

Unfortunately I see no evidence that our long term business relationship has any more value to HD than the first time buyer who may be gone in a year.  

"It Is What It Is"

Jerry

Jerry.. just pointing out that one must ba a national HOG to join a local chapter.. not the other way around... expiration of national also cancels local membership.

Like I said.. youre talking about a social goup..  and not everyone gets along in a social group for whatever reason

If they stay true to the "ride and have fun" mantra.. it can be... but some of us have different views of what fun is.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »

Jerry.. just pointing out that one must ba a national HOG to join a local chapter.. not the other way around... expiration of national also cancels local membership.

Like I said.. youre talking about a social goup..  and not everyone gets along in a social group for whatever reason

If they stay true to the "ride and have fun" mantra.. it can be... but some of us have different views of what fun is.

You're correct.  But you don't have to join a local HOG if you don't want to.

I also agree that the social and shopping components of a local ride turn me off completely. That's like the "I just need to stop and get gas" statement when everybody is ready to go. 

So like you I prefer to ride alone or with very few friends where we all know how each other ride and are ready to go when we meet up.

Regards

Jerry

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »

I think the life membership is part of what hurts them revenue-wise... once a lifer pays the life fee, revenue from that member stops.... unlike the newbies that pay for the first 3 or so years.. but at some point there will simply be too many disgruntled HOGs that wont re-up for another year.

There are a couple of perks for being a State Rally Staff member.... not a whole lot... but some.

For me its more about the folks we meet and friendships we build upon.

Count me as one of those. I dropped my membership last year. I see absolutely no value any longer as the magazine seems like nothing more than one large advertisement that I pay a subscription fee to recieve. It was time to move on for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:39:51 AM by Heatwave »

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 01:55:25 AM »

You're correct.  But you don't have to join a local HOG if you don't want to.

I also agree that the social and shopping components of a local ride turn me off completely. That's like the "I just need to stop and get gas" statement when everybody is ready to go. 

So like you I prefer to ride alone or with very few friends where we all know how each other ride and are ready to go when we meet up.

Regards

Jerry

That hit the nail on the head..... Got a couple of friends that are chapter members... but if we get an invite from friends that just want to ride (and eat somewhere with good food)The phone rings with a date time and destination and we're there....

Just because you belong to a chapter does not mean you need to ride with them every weekend...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 07:14:29 AM »

I really enjoy our local chapter.  My wife has been Secretary one year and Treasure two years.  We have both been road captains.

Most people I ride with are Chapter members, however most our rides together are not chapter rides.

We do lots of meet and rides with the chapter, often times it breaks into two or three groups depending on riding style.

I enjoy the chapter meetings, the monthly dinner ride and such, I know most those are social events, not real riding events.  Chapter rides are rarely 100 plus miles. 

Yet many of the rides I do with chapter members are a 250 miles ride, or more.

When I want to ride, I ride with members who want to ride.  When I want to socialize, I do chapter rides. :)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »

We are fortunate to have a great local HOG chapter and a great dealer who pretty much let's us manage it and gives us great support.  My wife and I have held numerous positions over the past 12 years and have both served as chapter director (today is her last day as director for 2011).  We have met many great folks and formed lasting friendships over the years due to our shared enthusiasm for riding and having fun.

Some events are short rides and social - an excuse to get together and eat (of course).  But we also have numerous long rides - many 300 plus miles and several overnighters (or even three day events) each year.  I am planning a posse ride for next May for our chapter to ride the entire Natchez Trace Parkway - a Thur, Fri, Sat event returning home on Sun.

So like anything else in this life it is what you make it.  I understand and respect that some folks don't want or have the time to get involved in chapter leadership/planning functions and that is fine.  It is nice when a group of good folks do have that desire and time.  It makes it really nice for all.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »

I see little to no value being a member. Every three years I buy a new bike and get a year free. That is about what it's worth.
Bill

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »

Muddypaws, Man that seems pretty steep! Buying a new bike every three years just so you can get a free HOG membership. That's hardcore!  :pepper:
Jesus is Lord

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »

When they hit 50,000 miles I get a new one.
Bill

chromeaphobe

• Chrome Aphobe
  • Ride and Have Fun

• CVO1: 2011 Ultra Classic Road Glide - Grey and Black
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited - Red
    • My site
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »

I think (and could be very short sighted) that HOG suffers from membership retention. Many members do not renew because some chapters have become a charitable social club rather than a group that rides their Harleys. As an active member of a chapter and in this economy we need to get back to basics.  I remember the days when there were no charities, we rode to dinner, ice cream, over night trips, etc.  Now it seems we support various charities like MDA, food drives, homeless, etc. more than riding.

Perhaps if we stopped reaching into everyone's pocket the membership would grown again.  IMO

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »

Our chapter limits it to Two Charities we support.

I think the Stuff we do for the charities is one of the good things.  Figure if your fortunate enough to be able to afford a Harley, then helping some one with a disability or handicap, or a child at Christmas is the least we can do.  I notice most members, not all in our chapter have a bike that is five years old or less, Many have two bikes, some have CVO's.

We did limit to two so it was for those that need it due to no fault of their own.  Also so the chapter is not in your pocket all the time.  But also so the two we picked we could give full support.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »

I just got my package and threw most of it away right off. I just don't see much for me there. I do read the magazine and that;s about it for me. We quit doing the Best Western thing when I found out I could get better discounts with the AARP card at better motels.  The Maps suck but it is nice to see where all the dealers are.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »

lets think positive:

What would be on your wishlist for HOG membership benefits?

In Germany there would be very few things as our Automobilists Club ADAC already covers almost all needs for any vehicle you may be driving be it national or abroad for really small money. They will bring you or any member of your family home in case of an accident or failure, pay any doctors expenses and so on worldwide -  for just some 75 $/year.

H-D Road Assistance is just a joke compaired to this. I remember very well when I had a battery failure 2002 at a saturday evening and Road Assistance told me the next dealer would be just some 30 m away - but be opended next monday. 30 Minutes later ADAC was there and supplied power to start the bike, 1 hour later a fresh - non OEM but fitting - battery was delivered by ADAC.

As I have the ADAC coverage anyway for our cars and they do cover any bike for no additional fee I don't see any benefit from a HOG membership as far as road assistance is concerned.

ADAC, Amex, German Lawyers Associaton and so on offer more bonuses for quarters or other services as I may ever may need - no reason to wait for HOG's Best Western quarters I would not seriously consider anyway.

The only really appreciated benefit I could imagine would be a 24 hours parts delivery and dealer service - 7 days a week and worldwide of course.

But I suppose I'm dreaming - Mercedes-Benz does such things, Harley probably never will ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 21 queries.