Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rant on price of oil  (Read 2943 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Rant on price of oil
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »

So I just went to Costco and bought a case (6 qts) of Mobil 1, 5w30, for my car for $26.99 - or $4.50/qt.  Granted they had it on special with a $10 discount but even at the regular price of $36.99 it is only $6.17/qt.  So wtf do we have to pay more than double that for Mobil 1, V-Twin, 20w50?  Guess I already know the answer - 'cause we were gullible enough to pay more than double what our CVOs are really worth, pay exorbitant labor rates at the stealerships, pay outrageous prices for parts/accessories and protective gear so I guess they figure we'll pony up big bucks for the oil.  I'm not a cheapskate, really I am not.  But it pizzes me to no end to know that we are being so overcharged. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: Rant on price of oil
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »

Amen, brother!

These bikes are very important to us, though.  I guess that makes it worth it. :nixweiss:

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »

I'll have to agree with you!! It cost me more to change the oil (Syn3) on my CVO (Just the oil!) than someone else changing the oil in my Cummins Diesel pickup????? That hold more than twice as much oil with a filter thats 5 times bigger!! :o Look at the price of anything that means fun!! It's HIGH!!!! Pool cues, golf clubs, boats, 4-wheelers, women, whiskey, sports cars, rib-eyes, women!!  :huepfenjump3:

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

So I just went to Costco and bought a case (6 qts) of Mobil 1, 5w30, for my car for $26.99 - or $4.50/qt.  Granted they had it on special with a $10 discount but even at the regular price of $36.99 it is only $6.17/qt.  So wtf do we have to pay more than double that for Mobil 1, V-Twin, 20w50?  Guess I already know the answer - 'cause we were gullible enough to pay more than double what our CVOs are really worth, pay exorbitant labor rates at the stealerships, pay outrageous prices for parts/accessories and protective gear so I guess they figure we'll pony up big bucks for the oil.  I'm not a cheapskate, really I am not.  But it pizzes me to no end to know that we are being so overcharged. 
Jerry, its still AM....ystery   ;)

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:34:37 AM »

Well you could go and purchase a boat where you have to use MARINE only products :huepfenlol2:

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »

I'll have to agree with you!! It cost me more to change the oil (Syn3) on my CVO (Just the oil!) than someone else changing the oil in my Cummins Diesel pickup????? That hold more than twice as much oil with a filter thats 5 times bigger!! :o Look at the price of anything that means fun!! It's HIGH!!!! Pool cues, golf clubs, boats, 4-wheelers, women, whiskey, sports cars, rib-eyes, women!!  :huepfenjump3:
Mmmmmmm rib eyes.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »

One of my favorite examples of this phenomenon Jerry is how Redline decided to take the old automotive products the Harley fraternity had adopted (Heavy Shockproof, MTF), pour the exact same products into new plastic bottles with V-Twin on the label, and jack the price up $3 per quart.  It was such an obvious ploy that many people (included me) called them on it, and they eventually owned up to the fact that the products were identical to the older cheaper automotive stuff.  Of course it's moot now, since they responded by jacking up the price of the automotive stuff to the same level rather than cut the price of the motorcycle products.

Anyone who owns a "recreational" product is going to be subject to this sort of price gouging.  Boats, camping gear and trailers, ATV's, etc.; if you own or use it, someone will be standing in line to gouge you.  Harley does it to us all the time and people let them get away with it, so others figure it must be open season. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »

Just because they can, Jerry.  The Vtwin oil is, in fact, a different formula than the automotive oil that you bought, but I seriously doubt that it cost Mobil twice as much to produce.  And I suppose that they don't sell the volume of it as compared to the auto stuff, but still...I hear you.

Kenny...At least when you pay $600 + for a pool cue, you're getting something that's generally hand built and is purdy.  ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »

Good points all.  But still a crock nonetheless.  Just proves that you gotta pay to play. :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »

Aviation oil is no cheaper, burn lots of it to,,,,,,

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:54:44 AM »

Yeah, but they say that the use periods have been lengthened so that you can purchase it less frequently.  So they have to charge more for it.  ::) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Billyb

• Full CVO Member
  • GOT MY SE ROAD GLIDE
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »

you want to talk over charging come on over to Canada tax tax tax Looked at a 2012 GMC Acadia 51.000 plus tax at 15% tax and when our $ is almost par with the US dollar  :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:
2009 SE road glide
stage 3 110hp 112lbsT
YA BABY LOV IT

2003 FLHTPI SOLD
95" 90 hp, 100lbs T
Corbin
12" Bagger Bars love um
Harley heavy breather
21" Elite "3D Cut" Black Dos Reis Harley Front Wheel
from Southern Motorcycle Works
Custom Paint
SOLD

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »

Well you could go and purchase a boat where you have to use MARINE only products :huepfenlol2:

X2 on the Marine stuff. Think you paid a lot for a CVO? Try 24,000.00 for a Yamaha f-300 boat motor! A lot of boats require two of these suckers! Don't get me started about marine oil.
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 03:44:05 AM »

Maate....Don't you reacon I'm not jealous...I purchased a pack of Mobil1 and thought I got a good deal direct from the distributor for $112.00...not a happy vegimite...we get ripped so badly in Aus. :soapbox:
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »

Maate....Don't you reacon I'm not jealous...I purchased a pack of Mobil1 and thought I got a good deal direct from the distributor for $112.00...not a happy vegimite...we get ripped so badly in Aus. :soapbox:
Was most of the difference 'shipping' or 'tax'?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.