Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Colorado run Oct 2020  (Read 11271 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Colorado run Oct 2020
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »

Don

We ran out of time to do much of Utah but got enough of it to know we need at trip back.
Like you we have always bypassed Mesa Verde, and not sure why. It will be destination we will have to return too and spend more time

I've got a couple friends saying the summer trip next year should be east.  Primarily because I haven't done that in quite awhile.  But all the trip ideas this year got Rona-d.  So I'm still thinking west this late-spring or early summer; whenever I can get the hell on the way.  Have pretty much decided I'm finally marking Utah off the map this year too.  It just needs to be done.  Montezuma County, Colorado could easily be on the way coming or going.  Loved your pictures.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »

Great pics of a really nice ride.  :2vrolijk_21:

I need to get on the other side of the Mississippi River myself.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »

Great pics of a really nice ride.  :2vrolijk_21:

I need to get on the other side of the Mississippi River myself.
Thank you TN

We have visited your part of the world a couple times but it has always been during the winter and in the truck. Bike trip there is sure on our agenda. Beautiful country out there
Most great stores start with a bad decision

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2020, 09:41:39 PM »

A great ride report and photos!  Thanks a bunch for posting!

You covered a lot of ground in Colorado.  We've been there a lot and several trips this summer.  We spent last summer in Buena Vista and just outside of Montrose.  It snowed on May 1 in Buena Vista (see the photo).

Cottonwood Pass sure doesn't look the way that you remembered it as a kid.  From the sign at the summit all down the west side was always a nice dirt road until last summer.  They have finally paved it all the way and I got to ride it a few months back.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2020, 10:13:57 PM »

A great ride report and photos!  Thanks a bunch for posting!

You covered a lot of ground in Colorado.  We've been there a lot and several trips this summer.  We spent last summer in Buena Vista and just outside of Montrose.  It snowed on May 1 in Buena Vista (see the photo).

Cottonwood Pass sure doesn't look the way that you remembered it as a kid.  From the sign at the summit all down the west side was always a nice dirt road until last summer.  They have finally paved it all the way and I got to ride it a few months back.

Thank you JC
Sure glad we didn't wake up to that kind of snow, it would have made the trip more interesting for sure. Although we did lay in bed at the hotel pondering the what if's.....lol.

I know you have spent lots of time in CO and alway look forward to your posting of pictures. Hope you get to repeat.

I do think we found a new favorite route this year while we were there. We picked up Co 141 just south of Grand Junction and ran it till we picked up Co 145 at Naturita. Then 145 all the way into Cortez. It gave a great run through the high plans canyons then the south end brought you back in the mountain valleys.

JC I was probably 10 the last time I was on Cottonwood Pass. Not sure how much of it was paved then, but in a childs mind it was dirt wilderness in the middle of no where. The surprising part was once we got to Taylor Lake it fit all the memories I had from the cabins setting back off the lake to the marina on the lake where we used to rent a flat bottom boat to fish. Lots of memories there on that lake

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2020, 10:32:55 PM »

Taylor Lake Marina

Spent several summers as a young kid fishing on this lake. Been 50 years since I had seen this place but still looks just like I remembered it as a child. One memory that has never left my mind even though it occurred 50ish years ago was us getting wet. We had gotten soaked out fishing when one of those late afternoon thunderstorms came through. We returned to the camp and was able to change clothes, but for me that was the only pair of shoes I had brought. Dad decided to dry them out by the camp fire. Last I saw them when they still looked like shoes, just a pile of goo after that. Remember Dad and I going to find shoes....who knows where. Memory stops there, but at least I don't remember being barefoot

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2020, 10:41:02 PM »

Co 141 south of Grand Junction.......did you stop at the Gateway Auto Museum when you passed through Gateway.  No signs, no advertising.....you just have to know it's there behind the lodge.

The guy that owns all of those cars and that museum, the resort and everything else in that little hole in the road is the gentleman that started the Discovery Channel.  This museum is worth the trip alone!  $10 for seniors and it's a self guided tour.

http://gatewayautomuseum.com/
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2020, 10:54:48 PM »

Co 141 south of Grand Junction.......did you stop at the Gateway Auto Museum when you passed through Gateway.  No signs, no advertising.....you just have to know it's there behind the lodge.

The guy that owns all of those cars and that museum, the resort and everything else in that little hole in the road is the gentleman that started the Discovery Channel.  This museum is worth the trip alone!  $10 for seniors and it's a self guided tour.

http://gatewayautomuseum.com/

Miss it but Thank you. It is now saved back to a planner for the next trip

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2020, 03:52:31 PM »

I have a Cousin that lives a Half-Hour/45 minutes south of Denver that I have been hoping to travel out and see. Would probably need to make no less than a 2 week ride out of it, but it sure looks like it would be a beautiful trip.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2020, 08:59:47 AM »

It's been a few years since we've ridden that wonderful part of America.

Thanks for the wonderful ride report and amazing pics.

Thanks for the memories, and building our anticipation for our eventual return trip!   :2vrolijk_21:
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »

I have a Cousin that lives a Half-Hour/45 minutes south of Denver that I have been hoping to travel out and see. Would probably need to make no less than a 2 week ride out of it, but it sure looks like it would be a beautiful trip.

If time allows you it would be a trip worth making

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »

It's been a few years since we've ridden that wonderful part of America.

Thanks for the wonderful ride report and amazing pics.

Thanks for the memories, and building our anticipation for our eventual return trip!   :2vrolijk_21:

Thank you Grizzly,

Hopefully the pics will help you find the time for the trip or hold you over till you can make there again

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2021, 07:09:25 PM »

Ran across this Thread, my first time back to the CVO Forum since 2018 when we enjoyed many of these same roads :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Mesa Verde is certainly a special place, there was much more to it than Major Tom & I anticipated, due to timing, (or lack thereof LOL) we were not able to ride much more than halfway into the Park :(
We'll definitely allocate more time for Mesa Verde when we are out that way again. :)

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for posting!!

Glad to see y'all out Sport Touring on the Yellow SERG, it's a beautiful sight :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2021, 07:01:23 PM »

Ran across this Thread, my first time back to the CVO Forum since 2018 when we enjoyed many of these same roads :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Mesa Verde is certainly a special place, there was much more to it than Major Tom & I anticipated, due to timing, (or lack thereof LOL) we were not able to ride much more than halfway into the Park :(
We'll definitely allocate more time for Mesa Verde when we are out that way again. :)

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for posting!!

Glad to see y'all out Sport Touring on the Yellow SERG, it's a beautiful sight :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Glad to see your back Ed,
You are correct about Mesa Verda. Not sure what time we started into the park but it was dark 30 when we came out and that was with all the dwelling closed due to Covid. Definitely will have to make a run back to there.

That old yellow girl is still wondering the roads every chance we get. Hopefully yours is too

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2021, 10:51:22 AM »

I'm late to the party, but still enjoyed the pictures and the scenery. Looks like you had great weather too. Keep that '09 rollin'.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 26 queries.