Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S & S Cams for M8  (Read 5346 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
S & S Cams for M8
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:37:41 AM »

Got an email from S & S saying they have both chain drive and gear drive performance cams, plus a gear drive in stock spec.  Dyno chart on their web site shows better than stock at all RPM, using stock header.  The performance cam has different profiles for front and rear cylinders, unlike stock cam, which is same for both.  Not EPA or California approved. Text from the email:

S&S Cams For Milwaukee Eight® Engines
S&S now offers bolt-in cams for 2017 Harley-Davidson® touring models with the new Milwaukee Eight engine. Choose from a chain drive cam, or eliminate the cam drive chain and tensioner by upgrading to the S&S gear drive system. Both formats of the new 465 cam will see gains of 21Hp and 21 ft-lb torque (when coupled with S&S intake and exhaust). We also offer the gear drive cam in a stock spec (350G) that provides the peace of mind and valve timing accuracy that only a gear driven cam can give.

Both cam grinds are compatible with all stock components, but for the cost of the labor to remove and reinstall the stock pushrods, you’ll be money ahead to cut them out and replace them with a set of S&S Quickee pushrods! All available now from S&S or your favorite dealer.

Click For More Info  http://www.sspublications.com/email/link.php?M=1877511&N=1181&L=754

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: S & S Cams for M8
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

Got an email from S & S saying they have both chain drive and gear drive performance cams, plus a gear drive in stock spec.  Dyno chart on their web site shows better than stock at all RPM, using stock header.  The performance cam has different profiles for front and rear cylinders, unlike stock cam, which is same for both.  Not EPA or California approved. Text from the email:

S&S Cams For Milwaukee Eight® Engines
S&S now offers bolt-in cams for 2017 Harley-Davidson® touring models with the new Milwaukee Eight engine. Choose from a chain drive cam, or eliminate the cam drive chain and tensioner by upgrading to the S&S gear drive system. Both formats of the new 465 cam will see gains of 21Hp and 21 ft-lb torque (when coupled with S&S intake and exhaust). We also offer the gear drive cam in a stock spec (350G) that provides the peace of mind and valve timing accuracy that only a gear driven cam can give.

Both cam grinds are compatible with all stock components, but for the cost of the labor to remove and reinstall the stock pushrods, you’ll be money ahead to cut them out and replace them with a set of S&S Quickee pushrods! All available now from S&S or your favorite dealer.

Click For More Info  http://www.sspublications.com/email/link.php?M=1877511&N=1181&L=754

I just checked the crank run out at .006 on my 107 during the last cam install.
I'm not sure I would go gear drive unless the crank was trued up. Then again, the oil pump seems to live?
I wonder what S+S had determined is acceptable run out with gear drive?

Steve@fullsac.com
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »

I'm not sure I would go gear drive unless the crank was trued up. Then again, the oil pump seems to live?

Steve@fullsac.com
Good point.  Might need more miles on the M8 to see if they "inherited" the TC problems.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »

Steve@fullsac.com

Maybe not, I've seen several reports of oil pump problems (low pressure) and then an "updated" pump.  They can make the pump live with an out-of-true pinion shaft just by opening up the internal clearances, up to the point the sloppy pump no longer functions as intended.  If S&S was to take the same approach and just increase the slop in the gear drive, I can't imagine customers being willing to put up with the noise and loss of precision.  Make it sloppy enough and you loose the selling point of more accurate cam timing versus chain.  Harley needs to fix the flywheel assembly runout issue, but I'm not betting on that one.

JMHO - Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 07:23:47 PM »

Maybe not, I've seen several reports of oil pump problems (low pressure) and then an "updated" pump.  They can make the pump live with an out-of-true pinion shaft just by opening up the internal clearances, up to the point the sloppy pump no longer functions as intended.  If S&S was to take the same approach and just increase the slop in the gear drive, I can't imagine customers being willing to put up with the noise and loss of precision.  Make it sloppy enough and you loose the selling point of more accurate cam timing versus chain.  Harley needs to fix the flywheel assembly runout issue, but I'm not betting on that one.

JMHO - Jerry

Back in the day, I put an Andrews 37 with a S+S gear drive in my 2004 RK. The gears came in Standard, + and - sizes to set the lash or gear clearance. If the crank is wobbling there's going to be a problem getting that right. To loose they click, too tight they wine. It would seem we could have both problems at .006.

Steve@fullsac.com

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »

Good point.  Might need more miles on the M8 to see if they "inherited" the TC problems.

New motor, but looks like they have the same guy truing the cranks! :smash:

Steve@fullsac.com

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.