Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley union...  (Read 4598 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Harley union...
« on: March 28, 2019, 07:44:32 AM »

Harley-Davidson employees stage protests days before their union contract expires
Bill

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Harley union...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 07:46:46 AM »

Harley-Davidson employees stage protests days before their union contract expires
Protest or informational picketing? Got a link to the source?

Our Union keeps having us do informational picketing when it gets close to contract time and talks seem to be going nowhere.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:06:16 AM »

Lowest sales in 8 years. My guess is the negotiations will not go well...
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »

Most likely not.  HD may offer to charge their employees a fee to park in the employee parking lot as a negotiation tactic.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »

Lowest sales in 8 years. My guess is the negotiations will not go well...

Considering the fact that the workers got screwed on the last contract even though Harley was still making decent profits at the time, I would guess they will really get screwed this time.  Such is the current state of labor in this country.  When times are good, management and stockholders get most of the rewards.  When times are tough, upper management still manages to get rewarded and the workforce takes it in the ear.  The lesson to be learned is to make sure you're a member of upper management, not labor and lower management. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 08:45:29 AM »

Protest or informational picketing? Got a link to the source?

Our Union keeps having us do informational picketing when it gets close to contract time and talks seem to be going nowhere.

Sounds like CWA... :nixweiss:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:43:51 AM »

Sounds like CWA... :nixweiss:
Exactly.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mark

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Based on company performance, labor doesn't have a strong negotiating stance.  They'll be lucky to keep the workers they have now on the payroll.  I'm not sure how labor could expect more compensation - they'll be lucky if they can keep what they have.

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »

I never saw anybody picketing in Thailand. 

No wonder they are moving manufacturing overseas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 09:00:06 PM »

Considering the fact that the workers got screwed on the last contract even though Harley was still making decent profits at the time, I would guess they will really get screwed this time.  Such is the current state of labor in this country.  When times are good, management and stockholders get most of the rewards.  When times are tough, upper management still manages to get rewarded and the workforce takes it in the ear.  The lesson to be learned is to make sure you're a member of upper management, not labor and lower management. 

Jerry

Right now, labor market is doing very well, better than it has in 14 years or more.  The amount of Manufacturing is going way up also, many plants are expanding and hiring.  Wages are going up in Manufacturing also.  I know every car parts manufacturer and both VW and Nissan are hiring in my area.

That said, Harley is doing the opposite as the rest of manufacturing.  Harley sales are way down.  Production is way down.  They will be lucky to keep their jobs.  The blame is not only Harley Managements, but also the board of directors, and investors.  They did not plan for the rapid decline in sales due to Boomers dying and also deciding the cost of the product has gone up way to high.

HD needs less employees, and less production space, and reduced output.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 10:54:24 PM »

Right now, labor market is doing very well, better than it has in 14 years or more.  The amount of Manufacturing is going way up also, many plants are expanding and hiring.  Wages are going up in Manufacturing also.  I know every car parts manufacturer and both VW and Nissan are hiring in my area.

That said, Harley is doing the opposite as the rest of manufacturing.  Harley sales are way down.  Production is way down.  They will be lucky to keep their jobs.  The blame is not only Harley Managements, but also the board of directors, and investors.  They did not plan for the rapid decline in sales due to Boomers dying and also deciding the cost of the product has gone up way to high.

HD needs less employees, and less production space, and reduced output.
nailed it!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 01:44:46 PM »

Bill

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 03:11:30 PM »

Good googally goobs, they rejected a guaranteed 14% increase over the next 5 years, $2,250 signing bonus, no increase in healthcare costs/coverage and retirement incentives for eligible to retire?  Even with the downturn in motorcycle sales, they got this contract offer.  My, my, my...sounds like a great contract to me but what do I know... :nixweiss:

Looks like the machinist and aerospace union were the smart ones...they accepted it. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »

"Harley is scheduled to announce the results of its first quarter of 2019 on April 23. Earlier, the company said it expected to ship between 217,000 and 222,000 bikes this year, the lowest in eight years as the motorcycle industry remains stuck in low gear."

HD may rethink it's offer after the 1st Quarter numbers come out.  Downward.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.