Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: K&N HD-1508  (Read 3073 times)

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
Re: K&N HD-1508
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »

Aha , I see. Sorry for picking up on the wrong thing !

I was fitting those K&N HD-1499 stock airbox drop in filters to Softails here for years.

From 2007 and up Australian delivered Softails had an "Active Air" flapper valve in the air intake throat.

With that restriction flapper hacksawed off the stock OEM airbox had a much bigger ( 33%) cool air intake so the K&N HD-1499 worked very well

As for K&N oil affecting throttle body or other parts I have never witnessed it in 23 years of Harley wrenching ( sorry "spannering" haha..)
No illegitimi carborundum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »

No worries gmeikle,
I'm by far no HD wrencher compared to your experience . You had the wrenching part right I do wrench the Harley, but I spanner the Mini  :huepfenlol2:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 03:19:59 PM »

Can't say about the older ones, this is what I use I'm on the second one now in 22k with no issues.  The  nut is welded at the back of the metal plate , most likely an upgrade from issues you mentioned

The old one I have looks just like the one in your post, with the nut welded to the inner surface of the end plate.  The failures didn't occur at the actual weld, the material of the end plate cracked and eventually broke out around the periphery of the embossed area.  Metal fatigue due to the constant movement of the poorly supported and very heavy cover was the problem.  I don't know if they ever reinforced that area or not. You could take a look on the inside to see if they added a larger diameter and thicker plate in that area to spread the load more effectively.

This is a link to a thread from back in '07 about this same subject:

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51271.msg751321#msg751321

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »

-----------------------------------------------------------

As for K&N oil affecting throttle body or other parts I have never witnessed it in 23 years of Harley wrenching ( sorry "spannering" haha..)

That earlier comment was in regard to vehicles having a mass airflow sensor downstream of the filter.  It's not something you see on a Harley, but you do on many cars.  Some people using K&N's on cars have had mass airflow sensor problems after over-oiling the filters.  I believe that is what Don was talking about.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »

The old one I have looks just like the one in your post, with the nut welded to the inner surface of the end plate.  The failures didn't occur at the actual weld, the material of the end plate cracked and eventually broke out around the periphery of the embossed area.  Metal fatigue due to the constant movement of the poorly supported and very heavy cover was the problem.  I don't know if they ever reinforced that area or not. You could take a look on the inside to see if they added a larger diameter and thicker plate in that area to spread the load more effectively.

This is a link to a thread from back in '07 about this same subject:

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51271.msg751321#msg751321

Jerry

Now I get  what you meant .   :2vrolijk_21:

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »

The best air cleaner assy. hands down, for a stock cover, is the KURYAAKYN STREET SWEEPER. ;)
John

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »

It was, auto's have problems with the oil, not HD's.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »

i run the round stage one air cleaner with no cover, i put a button screw in the bolt hole. easy to clean and easy to inspect.

i don't remember who, but somebody ran dyno numbers - and the air cleaner with no cover was the biggest bang for the buck. the theory was that the cover pulled in hotter air off the front head. the super expensive unit with the 90 degree bend and all the in your knee crap was almost the same as the stage one with no cover.. so its a stage one with no cover.

to

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »

i run the round stage one air cleaner with no cover, i put a button screw in the bolt hole. easy to clean and easy to inspect.

i don't remember who, but somebody ran dyno numbers - and the air cleaner with no cover was the biggest bang for the buck. the theory was that the cover pulled in hotter air off the front head. the super expensive unit with the 90 degree bend and all the in your knee crap was almost the same as the stage one with no cover.. so its a stage one with no cover.

to

OR, you can get a small round cover that will make the outer end of the filter look prettier but won't affect flow.  Some people get them painted to match their bikes (I seem to remember a guy on the site who likes red bikes having one painted red for instance). 

JMHO - Jerry

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »

The best air cleaner assy. hands down, for a stock cover, is the KURYAAKYN STREET SWEEPER. ;)
John
[/quote
If you do back to back testing with this one, you might just change your mind ..
http://boyesen.com/power-x-intake

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.