Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Air Cleaner Cover Fell Off  (Read 8231 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Air Cleaner Cover Fell Off
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:52:01 AM »

Thanks for all the responses to my post. I felt pretty good about the way I fixed this as shown in the attached picture, but it did lower the chrome cover and move it out about 3/4 of an inch. After some thought I got a piece of sturdy flat metal, traced out the pattern from the one you see in the picture. Then I drilled 4 holes in it. The three small ones and the larger one for the center bolt. Since this flat piece was sitting on top of the center hole of the air filter, it left a gap between itself and the 3 smaller holes around the perimeter.  I got some slightly longer bolts for the thee small holes, put spacers between the flat metal piece and the front of the air filter.(the outside small holes not the center hole) This allows me to have my air cleaner cover in the stock position and distributes the weight of the air cleaner cover relieving the stress from the center hole. I also bought the air filter service gasket part no. 29591-99.(this gasket has a sticky side which attaches to the outside edge of your air filter) With this gasket in place I have a snug contact at the top and bottom of the air filter to the air filter cover and it feels very rigid and solidly connected. Even more then my original fix. Sorry about not having a picture, but I didn't think about it until it was all back together. If you have any questions please contact me. CAHDBIKER

While riding on the freeway tonight I felt something touching my right leg and it was my air cleaner cover. (09SEUC). About 1000 miles ago I installed the HD SE air cleaner kit with the K&N air filter. After I worked my way across four lanes of traffic while holding the cover with my leg I managed to get to a stop in the emergency lane and grab the cover before it hit the ground. What happened was the center bolt hole in the K&N filter broke loose and what was left was a hole slightly bigger then a quarter. The bolt and the piece that came out of the center of my air filter were still attached to the air filter cover. I will be at the HD dealer tomorrow with my receipt and air filter to have it replaced. Apparently the air cleaner cover must wiggle when you ride and it made the metal weak and the bolt from the cover with the round piece of air filter that has the threads on it cameoff with it. I plan on making a flat plate to attach to the three bolts that hold the air cleaner on so that all the force of the cover will not be wiggling back and forth on just the one big center bolt. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Thanks in advance for any input. CAHDBIKER
I think I fixed it by modifying the stock air filter cover mounting bracket. The part no. stamped on it is 29644-08. Please see the attached pictures and you can tell how I ground out the center of the stock bracket to make room for the center bolt( which does nothing now except keep dirt out of the engine). Also I ground it down to about 1/2 its thickness so I would not have to remove so much metal from the original bracket to get it to lay flush on the air filter. You will need 3 slightly longer screws than the ones in the SE air filter kit because of the bracket. The only negative I can think of is that it moves the filter cover out about 3/8 of an inch.If you have any questions please PM me. CAHDBIKER(if the pictures did not make it on the site PM me and I will send them to you.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:25:06 PM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Air Cleaner Cover Fell Off
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:32:54 AM »

While riding on the freeway tonight I felt something touching my right leg and it was my air cleaner cover. (09SEUC). About 1000 miles ago I installed the HD SE air cleaner kit with the K&N air filter. After I worked my way across four lanes of traffic while holding the cover with my leg I managed to get to a stop in the emergency lane and grab the cover before it hit the ground. What happened was the center bolt hole in the K&N filter broke loose and what was left was a hole slightly bigger then a quarter. The bolt and the piece that came out of the center of my air filter were still attached to the air filter cover. I will be at the HD dealer tomorrow with my receipt and air filter to have it replaced. Apparently the air cleaner cover must wiggle when you ride and it made the metal weak and the bolt from the cover with the round piece of air filter that has the threads on it cameoff with it. I plan on making a flat plate to attach to the three bolts that hold the air cleaner on so that all the force of the cover will not be wiggling back and forth on just the one big center bolt. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Thanks in advance for any input. CAHDBIKER

CAHDBIKER, there have been several threads discussing this issue since the CVO Ultra's went to the current style cover.  If you look at the catalog listing for the SE air cleaner, it states that use of the kit on a CUSE requires the purchase of an old style cover.  The reason isn't spelled out, but if you compare how the two types of covers contact the end of that round filter it becomes obvious.  The old style football cover has a round section that fits the end of the filter exactly, and that keeps the cover from moving and stressing the center bolt/nut.  Look at the rectangular center section of the CVO cover, and note the extra weight as well, and you will see that the cover is not well supported and it can vibrate and move.  That movement will eventually cause the plate at the center nut in the filter to fatigue and crack.

If you can provide support for the cover to eliminate the movement, and also make certain there isn't a large gap between the cover and the nut before you tighten it down, it should still be possible to use the CVO cover.

BTW, folks have had this same issue no matter which brand of filter element they use; SE, K&N, Zipper's, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:27:45 AM »

As usual Jerry is 100% right on. I had it happen on a K&N and a Zippers. Zippers sent me a replacement but now I use the small flush Ness cover. It is an open element but is much lighter. Got tired of balancing the football while riding.

Ray G.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »

:soapbox: :soapbox:

Same problem.  Center hole broke loose.  Switching out the  Oval COver with a center cover and rain cover from HD. 

Scratched the hell out of my gas tank before I could get it stoppped.

For those of you that have a Stage I A/C and the oval, it will eventually break loose.

Mine took alomnst 17000 miles.

>:( >:( >:(

:coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »

You have to glue some rubber bumper pieces inside the stock cover to provide 4 point support for the cover and stop the vibrations then your good to go. Take it from someone who had it done by my dealer from day 1 and I have 62,000 miles on a 2008 SERK without any problems.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:15:55 PM »

:confused5: :confused5:

Haven't heard of the problem on anything but the 09 an 10 bikes.  BUt anyway,
here is the HD part:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448774802&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309362945&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309362945&bmUID=1278008050511&bmLocale=en_US

Relatively inexpensive and looks good.

:nervous:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »

here is the HD part:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448774802&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309362945&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309362945&bmUID=1278008050511&bmLocale=en_US

Looks nice, but like RayG I put on the Arlen Ness Chrome cover on the end of the filter.  Have been in rain several times and never used a rainsock.  My K&N center broke out about 3 months ago and my local indie dealer just gave me another for replacement(my local HD dealer does not carry K&N).  When it breaks it will be when you least expect it. >:(
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »

here is the HD part:

Dig through the old posts and you'll find it started with the '06 CUSE.  The '05 and earlier bikes had the old style football cover and didn't have this issue.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jerry/MD

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »

CAHDBIKER, there have been several threads discussing this issue since the CVO Ultra's went to the current style cover.  If you look at the catalog listing for the SE air cleaner, it states that use of the kit on a CUSE requires the purchase of an old style cover.  The reason isn't spelled out, but if you compare how the two types of covers contact the end of that round filter it becomes obvious.  The old style football cover has a round section that fits the end of the filter exactly, and that keeps the cover from moving and stressing the center bolt/nut.  Look at the rectangular center section of the CVO cover, and note the extra weight as well, and you will see that the cover is not well supported and it can vibrate and move.  That movement will eventually cause the plate at the center nut in the filter to fatigue and crack.

If you can provide support for the cover to eliminate the movement, and also make certain there isn't a large gap between the cover and the nut before you tighten it down, it should still be possible to use the CVO cover.

BTW, folks have had this same issue no matter which brand of filter element they use; SE, K&N, Zipper's, etc.

Jerry

Hey Jerry,
So, with the old 'football cover' the center section made direct contact with the filter...and that eliminates the problem? Would a few flat washers between the present cover and the filter give the same result...or do you need more surface area contact?

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:52:03 PM by Jerry/MD »

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »

The Nostalgic Bar@Shield AC on my old 03RKC did the same thing. Used some chrome washers from the hardware store, good as new. Wife still riding the wheels off of it. When it came off, we were on a very curvy 2-lane, with my wife and a couple other bikes behind me. Did not want it to hit any of my peeps,somehow was able to hold it between my leg and motor. Everyone said I was quite a spectacle, getting pulled over and stopped. They thought I was having a stroke or had a bee in my pants or something. FUNNY NOW, NOT THEN...   
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »

Hey Jerry,
So, with the old 'football cover' the center section made direct contact with the filter...and that eliminates the problem? Would a few flat washers between the present cover and the filter give the same result...or do you need more surface area contact?

Jerry

Not sure where you would place the flat washers, there's only one bolt holding the cover on and that's not where you need the additional support.  The outer edge of the filter needs to make contact with the cover all the way around, to spread the load over the largest possible surface area.  I forget what the diameter of the outer end of the filter is, but I'll guess it's between 4 and 5 inches.  So to do this with a washer you would need one with an outer diameter equal to the OD of the filter, that is also thick enough to be rigid, and with a small hole in the center just large enough for the center bolt.  Probably not something you would find in a hardware store.

If anyone gets ambitious and would like to remove their A/C cover and take a few good photos of the interior of the cover, maybe it would make it easier for everyone to visualize what's involved.  For those who have one of the SE/K&N/etc. round air filters, take the filter off the backing plate (3 screws) and then install it into the cover (off the bike) with the center bolt.  Look at where the filter contacts the cover; it will be obvious where the outer end of the filter is not supporting the cover.  That's what needs to be addressed.  It's also a good idea to make sure there isn't a large gap between the center nut and the cover before tightening the center bolt, since that will pull and stress the plate the nut is welded to.  Probably a 1/32" gap would be about right, just enough to help compress the rubber gasket on the outer end of the filter a little bit.

I'm attaching a drawing of the type of cover the filters are actually designed to fit, showing how it makes contact for a full 360° at the outer end of the filter as well as at the center bolt/nut.  When you look closely at your '06 and later CUSE covers, you'll see the obvious difference in the center section and in how the filter mates up to the cover.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:53:19 PM by grc »

Jerry/MD

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »

Jerry,
Thanks for the explanation. Your drawing helped a great deal. My thought was the gap between the filter and the cover in the screw area was the issue. A flat washer (or washers) would eliminate that gap. Sounds like that isn't the problem.

The drawing shows the 'football shaped cover' is supported by the entire circumference of the filter. On the SEUC cover you have four small areas of support where the oval insert contacts the filter ring. A BIG difference.

Well, if anybody has a picture of their modification to a stock cover...that works...please share.

Jerry/MD

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »

:o :o :o

My SE A/C was installed by the dealer and yes most of the tech's agreed the oval cover is a serious problem.  Never looked for the thread because there was no need, until it broke.

I can't get the oval to seat against the actual air cleaner.  So away it goes.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss:

:coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:23 AM »

I put blue loctite on the bolt every time I reinstall it.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »

:o :o

The bolt did not loosen up the metal around the hole where the bolt screws into fatigued and disintegrated.

The bolt was firmly in place.  The vibration from the motor over time caused the metal to fatigue.

Bad news.

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.