Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil catcher......major fail!!!  (Read 1808 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Oil catcher......major fail!!!
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »

To anybody out there that is contemplating purchasing one of Harley's Oil Catchers for their 2010-2012 FLSTSE's.........don't waste your $$!  I have been contemplating this for 2 1/2 years now and finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one of these catchers because my oil change experiences have been less than favorable.  Try as hard as I might I just cannot change the filter without getting oil all over the engine as it drains from its pedestal and goes down the rest of the way by way of gravity.  Mess!  Tried the plastic bag thing wrapped around a warm filter as you try to spin it off and keep the bag in position.  It all gets twisted in a gooey mess and then you lose control of the filter change.  Fail.  So, this looked like the ticket.  However, it is not made specifically for the 110 engine or the softail either one.  The design is such that in order to get it underneath the filter, you must cut (very carefully) about an inch of the material off with a box knife.  it somes from the factory with a rolled edge on part of it that snaps under the edge of the filter.  But the rest you have to cut and when you do it has no hooked edge to snap around anything.  And when you put it in contact with a very warm filter, it makes the normally sturdy orange plastic very pliable. And of course with nothing to snap around the filter edge, the oil goes down at exactly the cut edge location and right over the edge of your engine frame and right down to the concrete below or if you are wise, floods down to the drip pan below.  Taking all your clean engine in its wake!  and because of the angle that it lays when draining it, it is almost flat and I only got maybe an ounce of oil to drain to the end that has the hose on it.  The rest goes all over your engine.  I was most frustrated!  Oil catcher 100----me 0 !
Major fail!   But it may be me alone.  Has anybody else experienced this and what was your results??    Pork
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:59:53 PM by porkypig »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Oil catcher......major fail!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:20:11 AM »

I've found that drilling a 1/8 hole in the bottom 'corner' of the filter, putting a can under it, then drilling a hole in the top of the filter....let it sit and drain for a while, drastically reduces the mess.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »

I've found that drilling a 1/8 hole in the bottom 'corner' of the filter, putting a can under it, then drilling a hole in the top of the filter....let it sit and drain for a while, drastically reduces the mess.
I have one and I thought the instructions said to punch a hole in the filter to let it drain first.  I've done that and it's still messy.  It's a little better than nothing, but not much. You could probably just roll some stiff paper or thin cardboard and achieve the same thing.  Definitely not a great design.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »

I have one and I thought the instructions said to punch a hole in the filter to let it drain first.  I've done that and it's still messy.  It's a little better than nothing, but not much. You could probably just roll some stiff paper or thin cardboard and achieve the same thing.  Definitely not a great design.

I use a piece of cereal box, and had much success with it. I have one of the plastic gizmos from the FLHRSEI, FLTRI, they don't work with the  110 B motor.......
JMHO
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.