Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: N-com vs. Bluetooth  (Read 4135 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
N-com vs. Bluetooth
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:28:15 PM »

Nolan Ncom helmet is $529.99 + $54.99 lower wire = $584.99
Bluetooth Interface is $495.99 - 20% (discount from Chicago HD)= $396.80

Ok I need help spending my $.
Pros & Cons???
TIA, AJ

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
Re: N-com vs. Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »

hay  AJ    Spend it on me and buy me the nolan please,dad,please,dad,please,dad,please....il'l feed him every day and walk him and ,and ,
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:51:51 PM »

[smiley=ROFLOL.gif]  Gene, you have way too much time on your hands!

Now go walk the dog.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 02:54:48 PM »

you are right AJ   i guess it is warm enough to wash off that dam brake dust  and slap the covalant slip to it...
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 03:40:22 PM »

AJ, perhaps prices have changed a little since I got mine. But my N-com setup was about $485.00 for the lid, module and audio kit.

Can readily think of a few pros and cons.  If you're an Ultra rider and already use your CB and bike rigged intercom you really don't have a choice.  Just add the Bluetooth module to the bike and keep right on going.  The N-Com won't tie in to the bikes other onboard systems and you won't gain redundancy.  It'll just be a separate system.

If you don't already use the bike's onboard stuff though, or your bike doesn't have it, then the N-Com setup is actually very nice.  Wireless communication that works easily.  Can also add wired connections to an aux audio source.  Can have wireless or wired intercom connection between two N-Com helmets.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »

AJ, perhaps prices have changed a little since I got mine. But my N-com setup was about $485.00 for the lid, module and audio kit.

Can readily think of a few pros and cons.  If you're an Ultra rider and already use your CB and bike rigged intercom you really don't have a choice.  Just add the Bluetooth module to the bike and keep right on going.  The N-Com won't tie in to the bikes other onboard systems and you won't gain redundancy.  It'll just be a separate system.

If you don't already use the bike's onboard stuff though, or your bike doesn't have it, then the N-Com setup is actually very nice.  Wireless communication that works easily.  Can also add wired connections to an aux audio source.  Can have wireless or wired intercom connection between two N-Com helmets.

The price for the Nolan came from J&M's site.

I rarely would need the system on the Deuce and I do use the CB and the intercom on the SEUC so I guess its off to Chi HD unless there is any other input. And I quess that the BT module could go onto the next bike.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 04:59:30 PM »

BTW 2ln, you were the one that got me started on this headset thing to begin w/  [smiley=multi.gif]  [smiley=vrolijk_24.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 05:03:46 PM »

I rarely would need the system on the Deuce and I do use the CB and the intercom on the SEUC so I guess its off to Chi HD unless there is any other input. And I quess that the BT module could go onto the next bike.

I use the module on the SEUC and intercom, it has been great.  All you need is a compatible phone and riding partner.  Otherwise, I wouldn't let the riding partner know there's an intercom. ::)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 05:04:16 PM »

blue  teeth are better than bug teeth [smiley=nervous.gif]  :-X  hey aj do the driving lite re-wire thing while your in there if ya havnt already. maybe a road "Block"  scanner?? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 05:13:26 PM »

I'm hooking the 'block' scanner up next to the plasma TV.
What was the re-wire?

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »

if i could "search" my way out of my mind to find the schematic posted here to enable the driving lites on with hi beam thread.. [smiley=confused5.gif]  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 07:09:47 PM »

Hey AJ, need to notice one thing about the J&M system they currently offer.  It is the N-Com helmet.  Unless they've updated their offering very very recently, however, it is not the N-Com bluetooth wireless communications module.

They are coupling the N-Com helmet with their own wired audio package.  So describing the whole thing as "N-Com" will be a bit confusing for those already aware of what the N-Com package acutally is.

The Nolan "N-Com" helmet is simply the really good helmet with a really good wired audio package that would plug in to the bike just like the Harley lid would.  From what Terry has said and what I've read elsewhere the Nolan audio is a definite improvement over the HD package.  But it's not the wireless bluetooth communications package.

With the J&M lid you'd still need the bluetooth module as there is no bluetooth in the helmet itself.  In fact if I'm not mistaken the bluetooth com modules still aren't available in the states yet.  The helmets have been here for several months now.  But the com modules are still waiting on FCC approval.  So unless you order one from overseas we can't get them here yet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 07:10:20 PM by twolanerider »

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »

This is what their site says:

Nolan N102 N-Com with J&M 584 series Integrated Headset Installed (includes Z-Series upper cord only)  $529.99
Nolan N102 N-Com with J&M 277 series Integrated Headset Installed (includes P-Series upper cord only)  $454.99
Nolan N102 N-Com without headset  $279.99

Does that mean that there is only a hard wired earpiece and no BT?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 12:59:47 AM »

This is what their site says:

Nolan N102 N-Com with J&M 584 series Integrated Headset Installed (includes Z-Series upper cord only)  $529.99
Nolan N102 N-Com with J&M 277 series Integrated Headset Installed (includes P-Series upper cord only)  $454.99
Nolan N102 N-Com without headset  $279.99

Does that mean that there is only a hard wired earpiece and no BT?

Yeap, that is just their own module plugging in where the N-Com bluetooth module would otherwise go.  It connects to the speakers/mic kit in the helmet and gives you the place to make the connection to from the bike.  

The J&M connection has a dongle (the upper cord) as part of the unit.  The lower cord you must buy separately is the adaptor cord that goes between the helmet and the bike.  That's how the helmet gets adjusted to Harley, Honda, BMW or whatever.  No Bluetooth in that helmet setup.

This is a pic from J&M's website showing their parts on the N-Com helmet.  Just a standard wired connection to standard hookup on the bike.  Their audio is, as reported by everyone I've heard talk about it, a vast improvement over the stock helmet audio components.  But that is all it's intended to be.  Even though it's an N-Com ready helmet it does not have the N-Com system installed in it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 01:03:48 AM »

Then here is the N-Com helmet with the N-Com Bluetooth module stuck in the same hole you see used for the wired connections on the other lid.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.