Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electronic ignition Coil in TC 88  (Read 1476 times)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Electronic ignition Coil in TC 88
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »

I have seen some ads for aftermarket electronic ignition coils and it's got me wondering, what good would I get if I replaced my stock coil with a screamin eagle or other aftermarket coil? Currently I have a 03 Dyna with a stage one kit all screamin eagle parts, would I need to change anything else if I decided to change the coil and will I be able to notice any difference, for my $139 and labor?

Supershooter

glens

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Electronic ignition Coil in TC 88
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »

The '03 system is Delphi, correct?  Does it have the "ION Sense" system of the later versions?  This is a fourth wire to the coil which contains other circuitry to "read" the combustion through the sparkplug gap immediately after the spark was sent.  The ECM will then retard spark if it detects spark knock and will also throw trouble codes relating to other combustion problems.  I know this was present in at least the '07s but am unfamiliar with earlier Harley Delphi EFI.

If you have this subsystem then it wouldn't be wise (in my book) to do away with it for possibly a couple horsepower.  Unless you're racing on the track or strip, that is.  If you're mainly riding on the roadways for fun and/or transportation it would be throwing away good money already spent.   Especially if you travel and don't always know what you're going to get for fuel.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

I think the '03 Dyna was still a carb glens.

Supershooter, I can't imagine you would notice much difference at all if all you replaced was the coils.  Harley offered coil and ignition module combination kits through the SE catalog that altered ignition advance curves to match up better with other modifications, and also offered one that was programmable so you could change the curves yourself.  If you have mods that would benefit from ignition timing changes, then yes those can be useful.  But just a higher output coil isn't necessarily going to do anything if you're not experiencing spark problems with the current coils.  A higher output coil will fire a worn plug or wider gap better, but if you maintain your plugs properly it isn't needed on a relatively stock engine.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »

I think the '03 Dyna was still a carb

Well, that'd certainly be a factor...

Was it Gilda Radner in the early Saturday Night Live shows that often said something like "never mind" in the "news" commentaries?  :)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:36:38 PM »

I think EFI was an option in 03, but I  ordered it with a carb.

Plug maintence has been up to par, so far.

Thanks for the input so far.

Supershooter

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:27:27 AM »

OEM coil is absolutely fine. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.