Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: New 117 Sumping  (Read 17385 times)

les_garten

• I want a CUSE!!
Re: New 117 Sumping
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2019, 07:25:28 AM »

Any of you guys insisting on New oil coolers and oil cooler lines during these swapouts?  Oil cooler most likely full of metal grindings.

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »

They flush them out!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »

It's truly a real joke that some of these M8s are turning out to be such junk. The more I read about it makes me sick they still haven't fixed it and all the much happier I am for still having my Twin Cam .... will probably take it to my grave with me before I even think about a new M8. Sure, not everyone has problems, but we read a whole lot more about the problematic ones than the happy ones. I guess it's like Johnny Cash said ... Bad news travels like wildfire & good news travels slow!
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2019, 09:13:15 PM »

It's truly a real joke that some of these M8s are turning out to be such junk. The more I read about it makes me sick they still haven't fixed it and all the much happier I am for still having my Twin Cam .... will probably take it to my grave with me before I even think about a new M8. Sure, not everyone has problems, but we read a whole lot more about the problematic ones than the happy ones. I guess it's like Johnny Cash said ... Bad news travels like wildfire & good news travels slow!
Why would they fix M8 issues when they sold the 110 from 2007 through 2017 with out fixing all its issues?  Lifter failure was an issue on the 07, and still on the 17 even with the new and improved lifters in 2014.  They also had compensator issues.

I'm on my 3rd CVO M8, I'm a lucky one no real issues yet.  Had 4 CVO between 09 and 15 with the 110, two had lifter failure, two had compensator failure. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2019, 08:02:04 AM »

My 09 CVO had both lifter failure and compensator problems.

As to “why should they fix it”
They have lost many customers to other brands.  Me for one.
Brand loyalty has its limits for some.  Others would pay $90 k for a Ford Pinto if Harley put their name on it.  And they would buy another after it blew up, and another after that!

I would like to buy another HD but won’t!  I have lost confidence in HD’s quality control.
It wouldn’t take much to get me back.

That’s “why they should fix it”

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »

Brand loyalty has its limits for some.  Others would pay $90 k for a Ford Pinto if Harley put their name on it.  And they would buy another after it blew up, and another after that!

I would like to buy another HD but won’t!  I have lost confidence in HD’s quality control.

Sadly; your right. I've been suprised how many Harley owners i find on a K1600 BMW forum, I'm sure it's the same on the Indian, Honda, you get the point. Harley has some tough competition out there.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

mark

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »

You're right Scottt. In the 1990s thru the mid 2000s we saw riders leaving their metrics when they could finally afford that HD...everyone wanted a Harley.  That trend seems to have somewhat reversed itself.  The BMW K1600 and Indian forums are full of former HD owners.  Many of which cite poor quality as the reason for defecting.  Bad quality will eventually bite you in the rear. 

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 09:35:23 AM »

. In the 1990s thru the mid 2000s we saw riders leaving their metrics when they could finally afford that HD...everyone wanted a Harley. 

So true!  That was me.  Now I can afford whatever I want, I choose not to pay for headaches.
My motorcycles are for fun and enjoyment.
Problems are not fun! 
There is an element we aren’t talking about. 
Making our HD’s better... pipes tuners air cleaners cams heads.
That was fun but now its Harleys excuse to void the warranty. 
That being the case the only way to get big torque and HP is to go with another brand.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »

Same on my '12

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 10:29:19 AM »

So true!  That was me.  Now I can afford whatever I want, I choose not to pay for headaches.
My motorcycles are for fun and enjoyment.
Problems are not fun! 
There is an element we aren’t talking about. 
Making our HD’s better... pipes tuners air cleaners cams heads.
That was fun but now its Harleys excuse to void the warranty. 
That being the case the only way to get big torque and HP is to go with another brand.
True: test rode a BMW K1600 B or bagger. Not only is it a good looking motorcycle in my opinion, designed by Rolland Sands in Los Angeles, the straight 6cyl with 160HP is amazing. Bike does it all, for half what a CVO cost. If your really into riding, it's a treat.

Still love Harleys, would love to buy another but have higher expectations today than i had in the past. I've purchased 12 Harleys including CVO.

les_garten

• I want a CUSE!!
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2019, 05:36:25 PM »

Sadly; your right. I've been suprised how many Harley owners i find on a K1600 BMW forum, I'm sure it's the same on the Indian, Honda, you get the point. Harley has some tough competition out there.

They will eventually run out of Dinosaurs to buy Dinosaurs...

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »

They will eventually run out of Dinosaurs to buy Dinosaurs...
Wouldn't go that far, there's a market for simplier mechanicals as long as they are well engineered and quality  built. If Harley was built like a SnapOn tool for example, all American made with modern features, great suspension they would have a huge market return.

Add to that American made clothing and accessories.

Accept the fact that your going to be a smaller company because the market has shrunk, don't try forcing it.

Be true to your brand name and what it represents. Put your customers back as your top priority, not wall street.

Require motorcycle riding experience and passion as a requirement for HD management and dealership ownership. Stop requiring dealers to build zillion dollar facilities.

Tony Smith

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2019, 06:55:27 AM »

I agree except when you get to running a full quart low.  A pint low is considered to be within the normal operating range, a full quart is marginal at best.  Remember, that motor oil has many functions.  It is a lubricant and friction reducer of course, but it is also a coolant.  That's a very important function in something that runs as hot as a Harley engine.  It also removes and suspends contaminants (I still remember when they called it detergent oil back in the day), and prevents acid buildup due to combustion byproducts.  Reduce the amount of oil below the design parameters and you can negatively affect those and other characteristics.

It shouldn't be necessary to run less than the specified amount of oil in any engine in order to cover up flaws in the engine design.  The fact that many of us ran a pint low to cover up the breather issue on the Twin Cams doesn't make it right, it just points out how Harley constantly creates problems and then sits back while the customers and the aftermarket attempt to address those problems because Harley doesn't.  Btw, unless you run an M8 about 4.5 quarts low, reducing the amount of oil is not going to fix sumping. 

Jerry

Jerry, can you give me a quick description of what sumping is?  I have no idea what to watch out for on my 19. My 17 didn’t have any issues, or so I thought.  Thanks

Tony
2019 FLHXSE Black Forest/Wineberry
2017 FLHXSE Black/Orange FOR SALE
2012 FLTRU Black SOLD
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver SOLD
2007 FXSTC Black Cherry/Pewter SOLD
1988 Suzuki Katana 750 SOLD
1994 Kawasaki KX250 SOLD
1974 Honda 500 (crashed and left in a ditch somewhere)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2019, 08:36:10 AM »

Wouldn't go that far, there's a market for simplier mechanicals as long as they are well engineered and quality  built. If Harley was built like a SnapOn tool for example, all American made with modern features, great suspension they would have a huge market return.

Accept the fact that your going to be a smaller company because the market has shrunk, don't try forcing it.

Be true to your brand name and what it represents. Put your customers back as your top priority, not wall street.

Require motorcycle riding experience and passion as a requirement for HD management and dealership ownership. Stop requiring dealers to build zillion dollar facilities.

And if it was built like a SnapOn tool, you'd be paying $100 a week for the next 20 years.... :P
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »

Agreed!

2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 25 queries.