Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: New 117 Sumping  (Read 17384 times)

Kosmic Ken

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MB

• CVO1: 2019 Road Glide CVO
Re: New 117 Sumping
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »

Today I was reading the 2019 manual for touring Harley models. On page 2-52 re:excessive oil use they have listed a number of things to be checked out (I have not included everything listed as some don't apply to my 4 week old 2019 Road Glide CVO). There are four items listed that I think apply to the 2019 117 cu. in. motor. Restricted oil return line; Restricted breather operation; Restricted oil filter; Plugged Crankcase scavenge port. So, at this point in time my dealer says that they will investigate each of these sequentially, then change the oil and send me out with follow up every 1,000 km (625 miles). If this does not solve the problem I will be demanding a new motor. Failing that I will be taking back my 2014 CVO Limited that they now have on the showroom floor.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »

Today I was reading the 2019 manual for touring Harley models. On page 2-52 re:excessive oil use they have listed a number of things to be checked out (I have not included everything listed as some don't apply to my 4 week old 2019 Road Glide CVO). There are four items listed that I think apply to the 2019 117 cu. in. motor. Restricted oil return line; Restricted breather operation; Restricted oil filter; Plugged Crankcase scavenge port. So, at this point in time my dealer says that they will investigate each of these sequentially, then change the oil and send me out with follow up every 1,000 km (625 miles). If this does not solve the problem I will be demanding a new motor. Failing that I will be taking back my 2014 CVO Limited that they now have on the showroom floor.

I looked back in this thread and didn't see an earlier post from you about your current bike; care to enlighten us as to what your 2019 is doing that caused you to conclude you have a problem?  Just curious.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Kosmic Ken

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MB

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »

Sorry Jerry, I just kinda jumped in didn't I. The day after the HD shop completed the 1,000 mile service on my 2019 Road Glide CVO I left on a 5,000 mile trip to western Canada and Northwest USA. Around the 2500 mile point I checked the oil level. I must have checked 3 more times as I couldn't believe that it was down 1 1/2 quarts (HD synthetic oil). I filled it to the cold full mark and departed for home (1200 miles). I noted the oil level was going down a bit every time I checked and, finally, at home a final check showed it down another quart (USA). The mufflers are heavy with carbon and there are no other signs that the oil may be lost another way.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2019, 12:53:01 PM »

Sorry Jerry, I just kinda jumped in didn't I. The day after the HD shop completed the 1,000 mile service on my 2019 Road Glide CVO I left on a 5,000 mile trip to western Canada and Northwest USA. Around the 2500 mile point I checked the oil level. I must have checked 3 more times as I couldn't believe that it was down 1 1/2 quarts (HD synthetic oil). I filled it to the cold full mark and departed for home (1200 miles). I noted the oil level was going down a bit every time I checked and, finally, at home a final check showed it down another quart (USA). The mufflers are heavy with carbon and there are no other signs that the oil may be lost another way.

Sounds like you may give your dealer a shot at fixing the issue?
If they don’t know the procedure for checking (some dealers do not) you might show them your manual.
As long as there is a paper trail with the bike you have recourse.
Sometimes you have to go to another dealership or push harder to get things fixed.
Lack of customer service and poor excuses is common to some dealers I’m afraid.
See if you can build a relationship with your service manager. Sometimes that helps.
JMHO
 :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

Kosmic Ken

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MB

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 01:42:10 PM »

Hi Hogmike,
I feel pretty confident with my dealer and I do have a good working relationship with the service manager. The shop owner and I are on a first name basis as well. You're right - keep all records of any service done to help with recourse. July 18 is my date for them to start solving this issue; I will try to remember to post any outcome.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »

Ken, what you experienced is NOT normal or acceptable, but you need to be prepared for the old "1 quart in a thousand miles is normal" BS Harley has been using for decades.  Hopefully your dealer service manager will ignore that BS and just do what's necessary to fix your problem.  If I followed your post properly, you added 2.5 quarts in approximately 3700 miles (or 2.5 quarts in 2700 miles if you meant you first checked at 2500 miles on the odometer, not 2500 miles into the trip).  If 3700 miles that would be about 1500 miles per quart, if 2700 miles that would be 1000 miles per quart.  Neither would be acceptable of course, but I thought I should warn you about that old 1000 per quart is OK story Harley likes to peddle.  Good luck, and I hope they do what's right.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2019, 09:44:52 AM »

Ken, what you experienced is NOT normal or acceptable, but you need to be prepared for the old "1 quart in a thousand miles is normal" BS Harley has been using for decades.  Hopefully your dealer service manager will ignore that BS and just do what's necessary to fix your problem.  If I followed your post properly, you added 2.5 quarts in approximately 3700 miles (or 2.5 quarts in 2700 miles if you meant you first checked at 2500 miles on the odometer, not 2500 miles into the trip).  If 3700 miles that would be about 1500 miles per quart, if 2700 miles that would be 1000 miles per quart.  Neither would be acceptable of course, but I thought I should warn you about that old 1000 per quart is OK story Harley likes to peddle.  Good luck, and I hope they do what's right.

Jerry

This is the BS HD pumped out when the 110s were having oil consumption issues...and what caused me to get rid of my 2010 CVO SG.  Like Jerry stated, HD covered up the 110 problem by claiming one qt. per 1,000 is within specs.  If the dealer performs the checks outlined and there's still no change in your oil consumption, prepare yourself for "they all do that - one qt. per 1,000 mi. is within specs."   

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2019, 03:53:28 PM »

My 2017 114 didn’t sump at 7000 miles
My 2019 117 didn’t sump at 6000 miles

What am I doing wrong?

:drink:
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »

My 2017 114 didn’t sump at 7000 miles
My 2019 117 didn’t sump at 6000 miles

What am I doing wrong?

:drink:

Some people are just luckier than others Mike.  I don't think anyone has claimed that every M8 either has sumped or will in the future; like all of the previous major issues Harley has had over the years some bikes fail and some don't, and the reasons vary from luck of the draw due to the large amount of variation in Harley processes, to the wide variation in how different people ride.  Short of beating the bike to death, the way people ride should not make a difference as the bikes are supposed to be designed to handle all reasonable forms of use.  I can think of several people on this site who have had multiple engine failures with Twin Cams, yet their riding style is not even close to being abusive.  The same is true of the M8's, we have several people on the site who have had more than one engine fail.  There are underlying design and manufacturing causes of these failures, and Harley has not addressed them on the M8 just as they never really addressed the issues on the TC110's. 

Jerry

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »

Some people are just luckier than others Mike.  I don't think anyone has claimed that every M8 either has sumped or will in the future; like all of the previous major issues Harley has had over the years some bikes fail and some don't, and the reasons vary from luck of the draw due to the large amount of variation in Harley processes, to the wide variation in how different people ride.  Short of beating the bike to death, the way people ride should not make a difference as the bikes are supposed to be designed to handle all reasonable forms of use.  I can think of several people on this site who have had multiple engine failures with Twin Cams, yet their riding style is not even close to being abusive.  The same is true of the M8's, we have several people on the site who have had more than one engine fail.  There are underlying design and manufacturing causes of these failures, and Harley has not addressed them on the M8 just as they never really addressed the issues on the TC110's. 

Jerry

Overall I would have to agree. My 2017 had multiple problems not engine related.
I had to fight the dealership to fix the issues as they just parroted what the factory told them.
Lack of customer service and technician knowledge at the dealer level seems to be pretty poor at some places.
Maybe I expected more seeing how my Harley was the same price as the TWO bmws I had my eye on!
I’ll keep my 2019 only cause I like the paint and get the ESP. No more new Harleys for me.
JMHO
HOGMIKE

Placey58

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2019, 09:54:27 PM »

I have 2 questions. 
1. How can I find out the build date on my 2019 CVO Limited?

2. When did the factory start installing the new oil pumps?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2019, 10:42:17 PM »

I have 2 questions. 
1. How can I find out the build date on my 2019 CVO Limited?

2. When did the factory start installing the new oil pumps?

1: left front frame downtube. Sticker with all sorts of info on it.

2: I was told starting late 2018, but not too sure of my source.
 8)
HOGMIKE

pooj10

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Street Glide (Stage IV)
    • CVO3: BMW K1600B
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2019, 09:26:53 AM »

I guess so far I have been lucky with my 2019 CVO Street Glide. I had Stage IV installed on day one and so far no sumping. We have rolled over 6k so far this year and I ride the bike hard fully loaded with and without tour pack and passenger and at very high speeds at times.

Mustang65

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2019, 02:04:50 PM »

I just traded in an 18 Street Glide 107 with sumping issues for a 19 Street Glide CVO 117. This thread is not giving me a lot of confidence that I will not encounter the same issue with my new ride >:(

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »

Fellow HBRR member, and general all around nice guy, TN Posted certain technical information introduced at the dealer meeting concerning yet another new oil pump for all M8 motors that was a rolling change made to all 2020 and any 2019 models manufactured after May 22 2019. They changed the distribution within the pump housing to increase scavenging from the crankcase 44 percent, and reducing scavenging from the cam chest area.

Maybe this will help fix the sumping issue.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:27:39 PM by SHRADER »
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 25 queries.