Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Did I mess up making it my own  (Read 6130 times)

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Did I mess up making it my own
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »

Three years ago I decided I needed another Road Glide as spare for when my 2008 was down. I purchased a used 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange 1 owner with 30,000 on it. At 6’3” I had to replace the bars & seat as my knees hit the bars & seat put me to far forward. Since then I have had lifters replaced due to one shearing in the first month. So total upgrades are as follows:
LA Choppers 16” bars
Dakota Digital Gauges
After market Stereo
V&H power duals
V&H HO slipons
Dragos 580 Cam for the 110
Custom Dynamics Contrast Cut Airhorn
Progressive Monotubes
Ohlins Rear Shocks
Power Vision Target Tune w/Wideband02 Sensors
Ultrakool 2.0 Oil Cooler

Anyway the other day I stopped by the local HD to take a test ride of a 2018 to appease my I think I need a new scoot frame of mind. Pretty much totally over it now as I wasn’t all that impressed.
Got back from the ride & didn’t see my Scoot in the lot, brought the fob in an asked the sales guy where mine was at. Was told they were going over it so the could give me a fair offer as a trade. Decided I would go ahead and see what they had to offer knowing full well I wasn’t in the market, manager came in & said they would give me $11,000 on a new 2018 CVO due to the fact that it wasn’t stock. To make a long story short I love my 09 & told him that’s ok I’ll keep what I have. He then goes but you could have your Dream Bike, I kinda chuckled and said I already do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Re: Did I mess up making it my own
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:43:11 AM »

I'm sure there are many on this site (and elsewhere) who would never part with their '09 Road Glide.

Beautiful bikes, for sure.   :2vrolijk_21:
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »

Beautiful bike. To answer your original question, no! I thought making it your own was what Harleys are for.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »

I'm sure there are many on this site (and elsewhere) who would never part with their '09 Road Glide.

Beautiful bikes, for sure.   :2vrolijk_21:
True, although I did part with my 08 RG

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »

To answer your question I guess it boils down to what aspect would the question apply.....
If you are talking about making a bike more dependable, safer, or comfortable so that you have many more happy hours riding then spending money on mods is not a bad thing.
On the other hand everybody has to understand that the majority of money on mods is not recovered unless you are lucky and find some buyer that loves what you have done and is willing to pay what you think it's worth. Usually you get pennies on the dollar for mods. Also whether the mods take the bike away from stock it may limit the number of riders who may like what you have done. (ex. someone who is looking for a frame mounted fairing bike is probably looking for protection from the weather and putting high handlebars on that type of bike puts your hands and arms back into the wind and might deter some potential buyers, otherwise it may attract someone who likes the style if it hasn't gone out of style etc.)
The dealership or potential buyer may be thinking of all the money they will have to spend to bring it closer to stock or to change it to make it their own style.
Overall the current owner of anything thinks their item is always worth more due to the emotional investment and the potential buyer wants a bargain. It always comes down to supply and demand and I never plan to profit from any vehicle just enjoy it while I can and get the best price when I decide it's time to part with it.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »

True, although I did part with my 08 RG

The 08's were nice, but they're just not the same as the collectible '09's.  There is another thread on this site that asks... "Are you keeping your '09 RG?"
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »

i'm real curious as to how they got your bike in the shop without the fob?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »

i'm real curious as to how they got your bike in the shop without the fob?
I had to give them my keys in order to take the test ride.

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »

The 08's were nice, but they're just not the same as the collectible '09's.  There is another thread on this site that asks... "Are you keeping your '09 RG?"
I read that post awhile back

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »

To answer your question I guess it boils down to what aspect would the question apply.....
If you are talking about making a bike more dependable, safer, or comfortable so that you have many more happy hours riding then spending money on mods is not a bad thing.
On the other hand everybody has to understand that the majority of money on mods is not recovered unless you are lucky and find some buyer that loves what you have done and is willing to pay what you think it's worth. Usually you get pennies on the dollar for mods. Also whether the mods take the bike away from stock it may limit the number of riders who may like what you have done. (ex. someone who is looking for a frame mounted fairing bike is probably looking for protection from the weather and putting high handlebars on that type of bike puts your hands and arms back into the wind and might deter some potential buyers, otherwise it may attract someone who likes the style if it hasn't gone out of style etc.)
The dealership or potential buyer may be thinking of all the money they will have to spend to bring it closer to stock or to change it to make it their own style.
Overall the current owner of anything thinks their item is always worth more due to the emotional investment and the potential buyer wants a bargain. It always comes down to supply and demand and I never plan to profit from any vehicle just enjoy it while I can and get the best price when I decide it's time to part with it.

I don’t really think that what I have done to has made it that much more valuable to anyone other than myself. Usually your lucky if you get 25% back on the mods you do. I guess the point I was trying to make is that just because I did mods to make it my own shouldn’t make it worth less than stock. I do agree that if trading it to a dealer you will take a hit on a trade, but as a dealer you should at least treat the customer with a little respect if you expect to make a sale. I don’t like the new style of the RG’s since they came back out in 2015, but I’m not going to complain to the dealer about it. Anyway just relating my last experience at my local HD Dealer.

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »

lyn, I have a question for you.  Did you tell them it was OK to move/inspect/price your bike or did they take that on their own?  Because if it's the first option, that's fine and dandy.

If it's the second option and it had been me in that position, I probably would have been asking forgiveness from the good Lord for saying some of the things I know I would have been mad enough to say.  It's not their place to assume ANYTHING is OK just because you are riding one of their bikes.  I would be hard pressed to ever go back to them for anything.

Had a car dealer do that to me a few years ago.  They took a copy of my driver's license for me to test drive their car.  When I got back, they had already run my credit and put a deal together.  I did not give them permission to do either and nothing was implied that I was buying the car.  Needless to say, I asked them for their paperwork, watched them shred my driver's license copy and made sure they deleted me from their system before leaving.  I was not a happy camper.

By the way to answer your question, you did well to keep your '09 in my opinion....it's one of my favorite color combinations.  As far at 25% return on your modifications, most dealers around here allow for around the 10% range.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 03:00:23 PM by Haird »

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »

Haird, here’s the way it went down. They said they needed the bike, copy of DL& Insurance in order for me to test drive the bike of which I had no problem with. If they would of just done on their own without permission I would have had a problem with it.
It was worth it to finally find out if I really wanted to own an M8 or not. Now I do have to say I really do like the Gunship Gray paint almost as much as my Electric Orange, but not enough to get rid of her. Just something about the paint schemes on the 09.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »

lyn, I would have told them that I have all the stock parts and will put them back on if they gave me $18,000 for it just to mess with them .. lol   I think you made a good choice here. Next to my buddies grey '09 I like the orange next.  You have a nice ride there...Catches your eye way more than a dingy grey...My optinion. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »

I thought about it, but kind of like the no monthly payment situation & that extra $$$ can always go for upgrades or long trips. Also being 65 I can now be “the old guy on the TC” seeing how the M8’s are the new latest greatest.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 06:24:03 PM »

nice bike for sure, and 11k for trade is an insult. plus I think for now the TC may be the best thing HD has on the road  ;)
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.