Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin’ Eagle® Softail® Springer®

Water in the turn signals, dealer service not helpful at all

(1/5) > >>

blowncobra:
Took bike to dealer for the 500 mile check up and have my bags installed, advised them that both front and rear turnsignals get moisture into them, here is the response, well thats the way it is and we can do noting to fix it, i know my buddy has an 07 night train that does the same thing, anyway dealer says just have to live with it! so my next move is to advise Harley and get there response. Bulbs and water do not play together well as we all know. I have checked and all the seals are in place, i beleive it is a poor design.

Will post pics of bike as soon as i get it back from dealer

Fired00d:
This is common w/the bulb housing on our bikes, and mines does it also. I think it's more on one of the fronts then any of the others. Just make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease on the base of the bulb and you should be fine.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d 
 :fireman:

hard10:
This happens on both of my bikes. PIA! I blew out a turn blub on my NEW SEUC2 and thought about complaining to the dealer but.. for $3 I just replaced the bulb.

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: hard10 on April 06, 2007, 10:26:26 AM ---This happens on both of my bikes. PIA! I blew out a turn blub on my NEW SEUC2 and thought about complaining to the dealer but.. for $3 I just replaced the bulb.

--- End quote ---

AJ, I don't know how the handlebar mounted bulbs are set up.  Haven't had a reason to look close.  On the SEUC, however, don't assume the problem is the lenses.  That's not where the water gets in; at least not the worst of it.

The water gets in behind the bulb.  Look where the harness goes in the mount arms.  Water goes in the same place, runs down the inside of the arms and gets trapped in behind the bulb.  There is no "fix" other then to smear/wad/wipe some silicone around that harness entry point and fill the hole as good as can be done.  Do that and it'll make a huge difference though.  Without it bulb failures will be a common thing.

rogercm:
To Blown Cobra,
What bags did you have installed on your Springer and if they are Harley bags, do you have a part number? Thanks,
Roger

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version