Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles  (Read 14771 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2020, 11:54:58 PM »

I agree, but they are not willing to do it on there dime. $300 for the oil change on my dime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find it doubtful that any factory service spec will give guidance that changing suspect engine internal parts should be done while leaving the old oil in the engine.  Push them a bit would be they'll change it.  They can't deny the logic of the request. Should be part of the warranty job.  They're likely just trying to double dip between what they'll get from Harley for the warranty job and the very expensive oil change / 1000 mile service from you. 

Ask them to put it in writing that fresh oil is refused when lifters are being changed under warranty.  I know I'd want it documented for later just in case glitter from bad lifters (or whatever else has now hammered) makes it way to other parts.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2020, 04:34:27 AM »

I would have them change engine oil only during the warranty work, but not do the 1000 mile service.  Then file a complaint about having to pay for the oil change.

This is a terrible situation for a new bike owner to be in.  Just another nail in the HD coffin.  Glad my '14 Limited is fairly well broke in now with all the stuff that had to be covered under warranty and ESP.  No more HD's for me sadly.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Mofo67

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2020, 05:04:24 AM »

Picked mine up Thursday afternoon. Dealer replaced the front 2 lifters, no charge to me. Bike runs great and sounds the way it should.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2020, 06:06:55 AM »

I just can't fathom these fools putting their customers through this chit and still putting crap lifters in these motors after all this time. How on earth could anyone who calls themselves a (tech) listen to that noise and not realize the seriousness of the problem. How could anyone not think the oil should be changed under warranty for any oil line related problem with a motor, this chit blows my mind!
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2020, 08:44:37 AM »

I just can't fathom these fools putting their customers through this chit and still putting crap lifters in these motors after all this time. How on earth could anyone who calls themselves a (tech) listen to that noise and not realize the seriousness of the problem. How could anyone not think the oil should be changed under warranty for any oil line related problem with a motor, this chit blows my mind!

When you realize Harley buys their production lifters from the same folks that sell GM lifters, you have to wonder why Harley's have so many lifter problems and GM has so few.  Ya think Harley buys the "factory seconds" to save a few pennies?  Or is it possible they just do a lousy job of removing flash and trash from the engine parts before bolting everything together, and the trash lodges in the lifters? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2020, 09:48:41 AM »

Find it doubtful that any factory service spec will give guidance that changing suspect engine internal parts should be done while leaving the old oil in the engine. 

Agreed. Change the oil.

GM lifters agreed but they are working against 90lb seat springs with valves just as heavy as the CVO. Better geometry, mild lobes. The M8 has 140lb cumulative pressure seat stock, CVO 110 165#@ 1.835 and spring rate of 441#
Eyes go to lifters and as Jerry states crud gets trapped in the lifters. It is the best oil filter, problem is when junk gets in there there is no way out and the motor will sound like hell until the lifters are changed.

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2020, 09:53:40 AM »

Agreed. Change the oil.

GM lifters agreed but they are working against 90lb seat springs with valves just as heavy as the CVO. Better geometry, mild lobes. The M8 has 140lb cumulative pressure seat stock, CVO 110 165#@ 1.835 and spring rate of 441#
Eyes go to lifters and as Jerry states crud gets trapped in the lifters. It is the best oil filter, problem is when junk gets in there there is no way out and the motor will sound like hell until the lifters are changed.
Didn’t H-D issues a upgraded oil filter for the M8?

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2020, 09:56:21 AM »

Didn’t H-D issues a upgraded oil filter for the M8?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2020, 10:25:22 AM »

The new design oil filter does not help. This is a system design problem. 5µ is a nominal number not absolute. Have a look at the system flow diagram if you are interested. I have not seen that for the M8 but I am sure it is in the SM, or at least it should be.

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2020, 10:32:46 AM »

The new design oil filter does not help. This is a system design problem. 5µ is a nominal number not absolute. Have a look at the system flow diagram if you are interested. I have not seen that for the M8 but I am sure it is in the SM, or at least it should be.
Talk to the service manager and he refuses to change the oil in it , and I asked shouldn’t that fall under the warranty of putting the two front lifters in it! He stated no and ask again if I wanted to do the 1k service with less then 600 miles on while the bike was there and I said no.... he told me well it ready for you to pick up then.

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »

Talk to the service manager and he refuses to change the oil in it , and I asked shouldn’t that fall under the warranty of putting the two front lifters in it! He stated no and ask again if I wanted to do the 1k service with less then 600 miles on while the bike was there and I said no.... he told me well it ready for you to pick up then.

What dealership, do I know not to ever go there if I’m traveling

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »

What dealership, do I know not to ever go there if I’m traveling

^ what He said!

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »

Change the oil and filter yourself, move on. The lifters at such early age are either defective from inception or are getting crap in them from dirty assembly.

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »

^ what He said!

Nashville area

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »

^ what He said!

In Nashville

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.