Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles  (Read 14716 times)

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Engine had very bad tapping noise in it at 544 miles
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »

Change the oil and filter yourself, move on. The lifters at such early age are either defective from inception or are getting crap in them from dirty assembly.

And, save the receipts!    :2vrolijk_21:

Cheers,
Smoketown

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2020, 01:26:47 PM »

I can’t believe what I’m reading!!!!! The oil and filter 100% be replaced when changing out lifters.... What the F planet are some of these techs from... Get it in writing that they didn’t change the oil and filter and do it yourself... And I would buy it online before giving them anymore money...

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2020, 01:29:47 PM »

I can’t believe what I’m reading!!!!! The oil and filter 100% be replaced when changing out lifters.... What the F planet are some of these techs from... Get it in writing that they didn’t change the oil and filter and do it yourself... And I would buy it online before giving them anymore money...
Will it void the factory warranty if I change it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »

dont think it says any where that a HD dealer has to change your oil or the warranty is voided... and i feel the 1k service is bull sh!t , a oil change is not out of line but the rest is not needed. side note my 13 SERG had more oil related failures than any bike i ever owned and i let the "PROS" do most all the services on it, my 16 SERGU i have done every oil change/service and knock wood... not one issue... 42k miles and counting
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2020, 03:58:47 PM »

dont think it says any where that a HD dealer has to change your oil or the warranty is voided... and i feel the 1k service is bull sh!t , a oil change is not out of line but the rest is not needed. side note my 13 SERG had more oil related failures than any bike i ever owned and i let the "PROS" do most all the services on it, my 16 SERGU i have done every oil change/service and knock wood... not one issue... 42k miles and counting

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »

There is a law called the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" it does not require that a dealer has to perform the scheduled maintenance, but I would use an oem oil filter and save the receipts, record the date and mileage and its always good to have a service manual. I due all of my maintenance as per when its called for and sometimes even before, I keep a excel spread sheet and log everything I do. So far I haven't had a problem of getting warranty work completed, but really haven't had that much failed.   
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2020, 07:02:25 AM »

In Nashville

There are three Boswell owned dealers in Nashville.  Another Boswell in Cookville TN  Sort of surprised that your being teated like this from them.  I have had great luck with the cookeville store as have friends of mine.  Have met the owner a few times.  Maybe Nashville stores are run different.

Moonshine Harley is the other one near Nashville in Franklin.  Same owners as Fort Walton Beach Harley.  Don't know anything about them.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2020, 08:51:56 AM »

There are three Boswell owned dealers in Nashville.  Another Boswell in Cookville TN  Sort of surprised that your being teated like this from them.  I have had great luck with the cookeville store as have friends of mine.  Have met the owner a few times.  Maybe Nashville stores are run different.

Moonshine Harley is the other one near Nashville in Franklin.  Same owners as Fort Walton Beach Harley.  Don't know anything about them.
Moonshine Harley and Fort Walton Beach has the same owner?!
Did a search and it shows different owners

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »

Am I to understand that they replaced only two of the lifter?

Don’t they come in a set of 4?

Also...how did they determine which 2 lifters were bad?

I apologize if I’m missing something.

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2020, 03:42:59 PM »

Am I to understand that they replaced only two of the lifter?

Don’t they come in a set of 4?

Also...how did they determine which 2 lifters were bad?

I apologize if I’m missing something.
Yes they told the front two that they replaced, so the back two are worn with the cam lobes and the two front two aren’t,wondering have is that going to work? You think they would of replaced all of them!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2020, 04:04:54 PM »

Yes they told the front two that they replaced, so the back two are worn with the cam lobes and the two front two aren’t,wondering have is that going to work? You think they would of replaced all of them!

You or I or most normal people would have.  A dealership and manufacturer that won't even cover the cost of a few quarts of oil when they're doing work that has had to have seen oil contamination....  them....; not a freaking chance. 

I'm taking a break from having a grand old time out in the garage today working on one of my old bikes.  Complete new top end, cams, etc on my old Road Glide.  Your experience is another reason/reinforcement as to why I'm doing that.  Couldn't be persuaded to buy a new bike from MotherHarley.  Doing the work I am doing without buying anymore parts from them than is absolutely necessary.  Wankers.  Cheap wankers at that.

Oh yeah, as I'm putting mine back together I'm actually using all four brand new lifters  :drummer: :huepfenlol2: :drummer: !

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »

this is mine boggling....so they took all four lifters out and inspected them. Then put the two rear ones back in and put new ones in the front!

Now they have two new lifters, unboxed in inventory.... what’s their phone number....I want to call them to see if they will sell me one lifter!   mine boggling!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2020, 06:31:53 PM »

this is mine boggling....so they took all four lifters out and inspected them. Then put the two rear ones back in and put new ones in the front!

Now they have two new lifters, unboxed in inventory.... what’s their phone number....I want to call them to see if they will sell me one lifter!   mine boggling!

The factory doesn't handle lifers the way the aftermarket does.  It's not sets of four.  Individual part numbers.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »

Another option being it is still warranty and you have taken it in so there is a service ticket on it already in the system that was blown off would be go for a ride and thrash the crap out of it till it quits and then call them to come get it.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Terry60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2020, 09:37:34 PM »

Another option being it is still warranty and you have taken it in so there is a service ticket on it already in the system that was blown off would be go for a ride and thrash the crap out of it till it quits and then call them to come get it.
they aren’t willing to do anything for me at all, spent $50k on my bike after my wife brought a freewheeler (2019)and my nephew brought a 2016 cvo street glide .. and still no sense of urgency on my bike . WTF!
Am so over these MF!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 22 queries.