Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 CVO Street Glide - Split Smoked Satin Chrome Front Exhaust Shield  (Read 1683 times)

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim

On returning from the 120 Budapest Rally, I noticed a split in the front exhaust shield. This is not the result of any accident damage and was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem. I have looked at examples of the same model finished in the "normal" chrome, and all seem OK. However I did find an example of an identical bike with the same smoked satin chrome for sale here in the UK, and the dealer helpfully had included an image in the sales listing of the exact area showing the shield. This image shows a split in the same position. So I'm thinking, is this an issue with the material perhaps not coping with heat as well as the other finish.

I hope to attach an image of my shield and that of the sales bike (with filter sock).

Screamin' Al

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
    • CVO3: FLHXSE 2018 Dark Alloy/Black Denim
Re: 2018 CVO Street Glide - Split Smoked Satin Chrome Front Exhaust Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 01:56:05 PM »

Sales Image:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: 2018 CVO Street Glide - Split Smoked Satin Chrome Front Exhaust Shield
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 04:26:37 PM »

On returning from the 120 Budapest Rally, I noticed a split in the front exhaust shield. This is not the result of any accident damage and was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem. I have looked at examples of the same model finished in the "normal" chrome, and all seem OK. However I did find an example of an identical bike with the same smoked satin chrome for sale here in the UK, and the dealer helpfully had included an image in the sales listing of the exact area showing the shield. This image shows a split in the same position. So I'm thinking, is this an issue with the material perhaps not coping with heat as well as the other finish.

I hope to attach an image of my shield and that of the sales bike (with filter sock).

My 2019 limited has the same crack in the same place. It’s not the first time I’ve seen that.
FWIW, mine  cracked the first 6 months and it’s still the same today with 73k miles on the bike.

I’d say a metal fatigue issue.

HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.