Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Andrews 37G or Zippers 575  (Read 13016 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Andrews 37G or Zippers 575
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 01:46:35 PM »

The Zipper's 575 is just under the maxium lift for the stock springs, so it's good to go. The Freedom YB 14's are a little less lift, so even a bit easier on the springs, but the difference is not significant.  Both produce similar numbers and are excellent choices.  The Freedom comes in a bit later, but holds on a little longer than the Zippers, so it really boils down to a matter of where you like to shift.  A feller' can't go wrong with one of these cams.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »

se 264,flow the heads,50 mil injection

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »

se 264,flow the heads,50 mil injection

That would be the worst choice anyone could make for these motors!

Gear Driven cams only in my bikes!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 07:57:22 PM »

dc why do you think that is a bad idea? just would like your opinion

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 09:57:18 PM »

First off they are chain driven. That right there puts them out of the running for any of my bikes. Second if you use that cam you will have nothing but problems unless you up the compression and use a different set of heads.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

gilbos440rt

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 02:40:47 PM »

Hello all, my first post here so bear with me. Has any one tried the Head Quarters 0039G in a 103? I'm getting ready to do a 95" with those cams and a T-max and D&D fatcat also a set of big boyz street ported 04 heads ( no valve seal trouble) My bike is an 05 Road Glide that I really like, this is with me coming off a dual plug solid lifter Shovelhead I bought new in 83 so it already feels fast   ;)

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »

Good afternoon gilbos440rt,

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE.

It'll be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread "New Member Introduction"
with a pic of your bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Best regards
 :vrolijk_26:  Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 06:35:45 AM »

I am still trying to decide which to go with.  I see dyno charts for the 575 cams and they tend to have a low amount of torque in the 1800 to 2500 rpm area.  Sometimes they have less than the cams they replace. I would like to compare the Andrews 37G in this area.  I know the 575's probably make more torque in the mid and upper range.  I think that if I cannot increase the torque in the low range, maybe I should just buy a new cam chain tensioner and stay with the stock cams.  Am I expecting too much?  This is a lot of money to spend and I need to know that I won't be disappointed with the low rpm rideability.  When I am driving on roads other than interstates, I tend to keep my rpms around the 1800 to 2500 range.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 08:04:58 AM »

At anything less than 2000 rpms with any cam you're lugging the motor, IMHO.  So, then, you're talking about a concern within an extremely narrow 500 rpm band between 2000 and 2500 rpm on a motor that has a much broader 3500 - 4000 rpm running range?  I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. :confused5:

Attached is my dyno sheet before and after my 575s and other mods.

Blue line: stock cams, Scremin' Eagle air cleaner, Screamin' Eagle one-piece slip-ons, and Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 ECM calibration

Red line: 575 gear-drive cams, Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, Rinehart true dual exhaust, Feuling oil pump and lifters, Zipper's pushrods, and custom Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner program

In the graph, there is little improvement in the 2000 - 2500 rpm range you're concerned about, but I can tell you the bike feels much better in the 2000 - 3000 range than before the work was done.  The bike is much more responsive and motors along much more happily than before in that range, so much so, that I am probably going to do a 6-speed transmission this winter just because the bike performs so much better in the lower end now than it did stock.  And, as the graph depicts, you better be holding on at 3000 rpm and beyond!  If you are motoring along at 3 grand and crack the throttle wide open, you will get air under the front tire in either 1st or 2nd gear.  It is just extremely strong running and fun to ride in that area above 3000 rpm!

So, go ahead and stick with those stock cams! :2vrolijk_21:  If you don't do the 575s, I guess you'll never know what you're missing! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: :oops:

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 09:13:21 AM »

At anything less than 2000 rpms with any cam you're lugging the motor, IMHO.  So, then, you're talking about a concern within an extremely narrow 500 rpm band between 2000 and 2500 rpm on a motor that has a much broader 3500 - 4000 rpm running range?  I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. :confused5:

Attached is my dyno sheet before and after my 575s and other mods.

Blue line: stock cams, Scremin' Eagle air cleaner, Screamin' Eagle one-piece slip-ons, and Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 ECM calibration

Red line: 575 gear-drive cams, Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, Rinehart true dual exhaust, Feuling oil pump and lifters, Zipper's pushrods, and custom Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner program

In the graph, there is little improvement in the 2000 - 2500 rpm range you're concerned about, but I can tell you the bike feels much better in the 2000 - 3000 range than before the work was done.  The bike is much more responsive and motors along much more happily than before in that range, so much so, that I am probably going to do a 6-speed transmission this winter just because the bike performs so much better in the lower end now than it did stock.  And, as the graph depicts, you better be holding on at 3000 rpm and beyond!  If you are motoring along at 3 grand and crack the throttle wide open, you will get air under the front tire in either 1st or 2nd gear.  It is just extremely strong running and fun to ride in that area above 3000 rpm!

So, go ahead and stick with those stock cams! :2vrolijk_21:  If you don't do the 575s, I guess you'll never know what you're missing! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: :oops:

Brian,
couldn't agree more abouth the 575 cams. although they are not a panacea for performance the midrange with full 2 up riding loads the midrange torque is undeniable. On aside note, I have same set up as you minus RH TD( V&H TD with slip ons) switch to PCIII(changed from SERT could not find a tuner that could dial it in)and numbers are HP 91 and torque 101. I know the guy at Bumpus appears to be a magician, but are the V&H really limiting the torque number for the cam that much? John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I know it seems unreasonable to worry about such a small rpm range.  A lot of my riding is in this rang.  I'm glad to hear how happy you are with the 575's.  I probably will end up getting them, I just wanted to hear how happy people are with the low range since I have seen good numbers on several dyno chart that had lower numbers at the 2000 to 2500 rpm range than the stock cams had.

Thanks again
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »

Brian,
couldn't agree more abouth the 575 cams. although they are not a panacea for performance the midrange with full 2 up riding loads the midrange torque is undeniable. On aside note, I have same set up as you minus RH TD( V&H TD with slip ons) switch to PCIII(changed from SERT could not find a tuner that could dial it in)and numbers are HP 91 and torque 101. I know the guy at Bumpus appears to be a magician, but are the V&H really limiting the torque number for the cam that much? John

John, your numbers are more like what we've seen with stock bikes that have just air cleaner and exhaust mods.  Did you have a baseline run done before the mods so you can compare the increase?  It could just be that you had the bike on a pessimistic dyno and that the actual increase you got with the cams is right in line with everyone, or almost everyone, else and that the numbers would be higher on another dyno.  I probably wouldn't get too hung up on the lower than normal numbers as long as the bike is running good and feels stronger than before you did the cams.

Also, if it's buggin' ya, you could see if my theory is correct by having a baseline run done on another dyno.  It'd be a lot cheaper than throwing a set of Rineharts at it first. :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:57:57 PM by 103tHunDer »

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 08:50:07 PM »

John, your numbers are more like what we've seen with stock bikes that have just air cleaner and exhaust mods.  Did you have a baseline run done before the mods so you can compare the increase?  It could just be that you had the bike on a pessimistic dyno and that the actual increase you got with the cams is right in line with everyone, or almost everyone, else and that the numbers would be higher on another dyno.  I probably wouldn't get too hung up on the lower than normal numbers as long as the bike is running good and feels stronger than before you did the cams.

Also, if it's buggin' ya, you could see if my theory is correct by having a baseline run done on another dyno.  It'd be a lot cheaper than throwing a set of Rineharts at it first. :2vrolijk_21:

Brian,
When i put SE AC, SERT, and V&H slip ons the dyno was 87HP and 93 Torque, I have had re dynoed twice after VH TD, cam changes. first with SERT was 82HP and 95 torque, and finally was convinced that nobody could dial in a SERT put on PCIII with above numbers. It does run better since retuned with PCIII but I guess like you said maybe its a guy thing the numbers ( you know like mines bigger than yours kind of thing). But sometimes I wonder if the enemy of good is better and should just ride and enjoy instead of fixating on numbers.  I guess what I really need is to find a primo tuner ( like Bumpus) and let them play with it see what its got and put the issue to bed ( maybe a ride to Memphis is in my future!) thanks for the help, JOHN
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 08:56:51 PM »

John,
Most important thing is does it run better then before mods? Dyno's are so different, unless you are running on the same dyno/same time (temp/humidity/etc) as so and so that has higher numbers then you, then you really can't compare them to each other. If you feel you have more power then before mods, and your bike is running good then enjoy it. If you get caught up on the numbers thing and not running on the same dyno at the same time then you are doing yourself an injustice.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »

Beagle has a set of Hookers that might be offered up cheaply to help out..... :nervous:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.