Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Top end "clacking" sound  (Read 53006 times)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: Top end "clacking" sound
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »

The rapping sound is caused by the short piston skirts of the 110 Engine. Harley will tell you it is normal. I just got out the first 70 miles of the season on my 09 Roadglide and it also raps from 2800-3200. Just another noise to get use to.

If anyone comes up with a fix let us know.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

I got one......................... WFO.  :D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 02:37:07 PM »

Welcome to the world of wonderful Harley noises. You will get used to it.

Unfortunately, they make all manner of noises.  The trick is in figuring out which ones really are normal, and which ones are signalling impending doom.  When all noises cease, call your road service number 'cause the sucker's broke.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE³
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »

Brad
Get louder pipes. 
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 11:40:54 PM »

I had the first service done this saturday and the engine noise issue was documented. The mechanic took it for a 15 minute ride on back roads, four lane and in-town traffic. When I asked what he thought, he said my noises aren't unusual at all and thought that mine was quieter than some other bikes, 88's and 96's included. He explained that a lot of people changing from a non-fairing bike have the same complaint because the sound resonates behind the fairing. I guess that would explain why my Fatboy was always noisier when I wore my 3/4 helmet with a face shield. It still wasn't as noisy as this bike though.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »

Last weekend my wife, who is usually, "What ear-piercing screeching sound?" asked, "What is that banging noise when we go slow?" after the year's first ride on the SERK.  I don't think this engine is long for this world.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »

I own an '08 FXDSE2 and an '09 SERG and the top end noise in both motors is loud, albeit different.  The Dyna exhibits fairly typical valve train noise. You're aware of it but its not disruptive  The Road Glide is much louder and is sort of embarrassing.  I laughed when the tech drove it and pronounced it within 'acceptable tolerance'.  Complete BS.

Just After Dawn

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 11:00:34 PM »

I own a 2009 SERG. I now have 3900 miles on it. I had Harley do the first service at 508 miles. I told them then that I thought it had an excessive amount of lifter/rocker-arm noise. They looked at the main chain and said it was about two clicks too tight. Then they said to put some more miles on it and see if it changes. It didn’t help. I get the lifter clacking worse after the engine has been ran 50 plus miles. You pull up to a stop light with other Harley riders and you can hear it over the pipes on other bikes. Oil pressure is good. I changed to Amsoil as I am a dealer with no help. I own another 110 bike however it’s a 110B and is an 07. It doesn’t make that much noise although you can hear it. I’ve been turning wrenches for 30 plus years on other equipment and this is top end rocker-arm clatter. I thought maybe the lifters were not pumped up all the way. Well it’s at the dealer now and they say Harley has no record of this problem yet so they don’t know where to start. The mechanic said it is not normal and is going to start taking it apart at the top and work his way down. He hopes he can find the issue and fix it. Me too.  I’ll keep you guys posted as the problem continues.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 07:26:11 AM »

"Harley has no record of the problem"!  That's a good one.

The first time mine was in there was, "Definitely a noise in there".  When they couldn't find anything actually flying around inside the engine it became "normal".  That's the way it is with the MOCO.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »

Egultrac,
Have you eliminated the catalytic converter and re-mapped it yet ? My bike still has some noise but it's a lot quieter since I did that.

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »

The rapping sound is caused by the short piston skirts of the 110 Engine. Harley will tell you it is normal. I just got out the first 70 miles of the season on my 09 Roadglide and it also raps from 2800-3200. Just another noise to get use to.

Brad

I had the exact same noise on my '09 FLTRSE3. If you can't live with the clatter, the fix is to reach into your wallet and purchase new Axtell jugs and pistons.  :2vrolijk_21: Mine are currently being installed. FTF
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

TaxmanHog

• FLHRSEI.ORG
    • Old Web Site
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 09:50:38 PM »

it would be odd to hear of the 09 hitting since those are preclearanced rocker boxes
now from the factory.  it is only a few bolts and you can have the top off and take a looksy if you are so inclined.   Are you sure it is coming from the top end and not a piston type of slap that you hear from say 2600 starting to 3400 and really noticable when you do it as a slower accelerate?

IIRC, someone posted a thread ON this forum showing the spots where the suspected clearances problem is and showed how/where to custom tool it with a dremel tool.
If so, could some one point me to the thread?

My 2007 now with 24,000+ miles, has been making the rocker box rattle noise since day one. :nixweiss:
2007 FLHTCHSE-2
2006 VRXSE Actively Drag Racing 2011 to Present.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »

IIRC, someone posted a thread ON this forum showing the spots where the suspected clearances problem is and showed how/where to custom tool it with a dremel tool.
If so, could some one point me to the thread?

My 2007 now with 24,000+ miles, has been making the rocker box rattle noise since day one. :nixweiss:
See if this is the thread you're speaking of - AJ's 3rd gasket set

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TaxmanHog

• FLHRSEI.ORG
    • Old Web Site
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:26 AM »

See if this is the thread you're speaking of - AJ's 3rd gasket set

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Thanks Fired00d,  I did not see this one before, it is quite comprehensive!
I eventually came across the following:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=30047.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21583.0
2007 FLHTCHSE-2
2006 VRXSE Actively Drag Racing 2011 to Present.

Chicago-Spike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »

Well, add me to the list of the clacking, rattle-can engine noise. Sounds to me like a 72 Pinto with bad lifters. I also was told it is normal noise when I stopped by the Missoula Montana HD dealer because it just started to make that noise on the trip I just got back from. 5000 miles in 11 days from Chicago out to Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana and ride around the Rockies for a few days. Am I happy with the noise and that explaination? No, so I am going to ride the crap out of it and if it dies on me, it's covered. Either trade it in on a standard Ultra or they fix it  :nixweiss:
AMA Life Member
2009 CVO Ultra in Twilight Blue & Silver

PattiB

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »

Can anyone tell me why my 07 SE Roadking 110 does not make the raddle noise at 2800-3200 rpm but my 09 SE Road Glide does? If it is piston slap it should be noisey also being both 110 engines. I would like to know what the problem is for sure so i can fix it. Thanks for any help. Roger
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.