Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: INPUT ON CAMS AND PISTONS ETC>>>>>  (Read 5517 times)

05screamin

• Love my FLSTFSE
  • FIRST DYNO RUN

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: still to come
    • CVO3: still to come
INPUT ON CAMS AND PISTONS ETC>>>>>
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »

Hello all.  I'm new to the site, and fairly new to CVO owner.  I have a 2005 SE Fatboy.  I took it in to local HD shop for 10k mile service.  I motioned to the service manger that the it seemed to me that the bike was using oil a little more then i hear it should.  They informed me later that day that they found the valve seals to be bad and needed to be replaced.  I have extended warranty, so its covered.  Then I hear that they found the one of the connecting rod bearings is bad, and the rod sticks and has no "freeplay" at all.  Then the next call says the shaft to the oil pump is burned and scarred a bit  :nixweiss:.  Long story short  The hole motor will be rebuilt under warranty!! :huepfenjump3:    I'm thinking this is the best time to do some upgrades :bananarock: At this time I'm looking at SE 257 cams, 10.5:1 pistons, having the crank welded, installing compression releases, and might as well diamond cut the cylinders and heads.
I am just wondering if SE 257 cams are the ones i want?
Will I have any problems with running "pump" gas with the 10.5:1 pistons?
AND IS THERE ANY OTHER INTERNAL MOTOR ITEMS I SHOULD THINK ABOUT UPGRADING AT THIS TIME, SINCE I DO NOT PLAN ON PULLING IT APART FOR A WHILE?  ( FINGERS CROSSED)
The last Dyno run showed me at 99.11 MAX TORQUE   and 94.04 MAX POWER.  ( what ballpark should i be in after the pistons and cams?)
the bike is stock 103"se, with SE heavy breather and Vance Hines BIG STAGGER exhaust and power commander.   

ANYSUGGESTIONS?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: INPUT ON CAMS AND PISTONS ETC>>>>>
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »

What is the number of the pistons you will use? I was not aware you could get 10.5 pistons for this open chamber motor.
Welding the crank???? Will they have it trued also? What about balancing?
There are better cams but this one is by no means a slouch.

Some of what you are doing falls into the "repair / reliability and smooth running" bucket and the rest "performance enhancements"
As far as the heads do you think just replacing the seals will fix them. The guides are likely loose and the best of seals will not last long with that going on. Have them show you if they say the guides are fine. With everything cleaned put a valve in the hole open it .100 or so and move it side to side. Feel wobble?

What is it you want to accomplish? Tell us how you ride and your goals.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »

Hello all.  I'm new to the site, and fairly new to CVO owner.  I have a 2005 SE Fatboy.  I took it in to local HD shop for 10k mile service.  I motioned to the service manger that the it seemed to me that the bike was using oil a little more then i hear it should.  They informed me later that day that they found the valve seals to be bad and needed to be replaced.  I have extended warranty, so its covered.  Then I hear that they found the one of the connecting rod bearings is bad, and the rod sticks and has no "freeplay" at all.  Then the next call says the shaft to the oil pump is burned and scarred a bit  :nixweiss:.  Long story short  The hole motor will be rebuilt under warranty!! :huepfenjump3:    I'm thinking this is the best time to do some upgrades :bananarock: At this time I'm looking at SE 257 cams, 10.5:1 pistons, having the crank welded, installing compression releases, and might as well diamond cut the cylinders and heads.
I am just wondering if SE 257 cams are the ones i want?
Will I have any problems with running "pump" gas with the 10.5:1 pistons?
AND IS THERE ANY OTHER INTERNAL MOTOR ITEMS I SHOULD THINK ABOUT UPGRADING AT THIS TIME, SINCE I DO NOT PLAN ON PULLING IT APART FOR A WHILE?  ( FINGERS CROSSED)
The last Dyno run showed me at 99.11 MAX TORQUE   and 94.04 MAX POWER.  ( what ballpark should i be in after the pistons and cams?)
the bike is stock 103"se, with SE heavy breather and Vance Hines BIG STAGGER exhaust and power commander.   

ANYSUGGESTIONS?

With a set of good* heads and a Wood 6,(at 95" or 98") the delivery and peak numbers will absolutely pummel, the combo they are proposing.
That 257 ain't what you want. Trust me on that one.
Scott

Kingkruzer

• Be American, Buy American

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »

I don't know how it would match with the pistons, but my '03 103 has 211 cams with SE race tuner, heavy breather and Bassani pipes. A few hours on the Dyno improved power from 86 to 94 peak. 6-8 hp more over the whole rpm range without falling off at the end like stock, but more importantly 93 ft. lbs. @ 4000 rpm before, and 108.2@3300 after, the new curve towering over old curve. Also much better throttle response. Kick A :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
17 FLHTKSE and 03 FXSTDSE

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »

I would run what they say but the Wood 8 would be my choice and some mild headwork. The CVO 103 has a nice set of heads that wakes up real easy with some not too evasive mods. I'd be real interested in the part number of the pistons they propose as the SE 103" CVO 10.5 pistons are discontinued.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »

05Screamin, I would use caution regarding cylinder pressure. You could get detonation without the right combo of parts and that much compression. I had an Evo with SE Heads and SE pistons that was suppose to yield 10:5 to one compression. I ended up with about 210 lbs of cylinder pressure and unless I used 100 Octane it pinged alot. (100 Octane is $7.58 a gallon where I live, but who wants to pay $38.00 to fill your tank) Just my imput based on past mistakes. Good Luck with your build. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »

Very different animal here the chambers are 98CC to begin with

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:49 PM »

05 Screamin,

My suggestion to you would be to go with the crank being welded, SE Cam plate, 99b lifters, flat top pistons, send your heads down to X porter, go with a 570 S&S cam ..

A guy I know just did this build with Sach's heads and his 103 is making 117 tq / 112 hp on an 09 FLHX FBW.  He can smoke the tire if he wants to in first and 2nd gear and is just enjoying the hell out of it, the only other mod I would suggest is looking to have your throttlebody which is a 43mm opened up to 48/49 or buy a 49/51 mm throttlebody and use your stock injectors.

The build was done by Arnold at millers custom parts in Daytona beach on us 1 and his bike is at 9.8 to 1.  This is the third build like this done recently here in the daytona area and all the guys are thrilled to death.   The bikes are reasonably quiet, your not beating the hell out of the valve train with heavy ramps and the bikes get up and go.  You wont have pinging problems and you wont have to worry about too much compression, the motor / build should last you good long time.

Just a suggestion / combo that works well.  *** Edited to remove Hippo build since that is a 95 buid not a 103. and different cc heads ***

Best of luck with your build.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:36:44 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:46:07 AM »

Very different animal here the chambers are 98CC to begin with

Plus I don't think thats corrected CR with the cams taken into account, just the pistons.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »

For clarification
The "Hippo" build was done on 95" motors with SE MCR heads which are 78cc nominal.
The CVO 103 has a 98cc head with flat top pistons.
Here is one with my heads
97" 9.9/1 570g cams MCR SE heads fixed
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:55:59 AM by Deweysheads »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »

Plus I don't think thats corrected CR with the cams taken into account, just the pistons.

You are correct that is not corrected, he put in compression releases, but says he really doesnt need em.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »

Dewey,

Curve looks nice and all, but dont see how it is pertinent to the OP since it is not a 103 and as you stated the heads are 98cc vs. 78 as well as a little higher compression.  Not comparing apples to apples. 

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »

I agree but you mentioned the "Hippo build" and that is not what you are showing.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »

:nixweiss:    :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.