Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas line revision  (Read 1667 times)

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
Gas line revision
« on: February 24, 2006, 07:37:05 AM »

Got my 05 CVO ElectraGlide back from the dealer after having a 6 speed installed and valve seals replaced.   Took it out while at the dealer for a test ride and upon returning, found a gas leak that appeared to be coming from the tank fitting.   They said yeah, they do that on occassion and all that needs done is to unplug the quick dis-connect fitting and snap it back in place.  They did that and said that cured the problem.

I got the bike home and started it the other day for a quick warm up and to take it out before Daytona to make sure all was well.  Ran into the house for the coat, back in 30 seconds, gasoline all over the floor. Checked and it appeared to be coming from the tank fitting again.  This will not leak unless the ignition is on and the fuel pump running to pressurize the line.

The hose in question runs from the tank to the inlet side of the injectors, about 7 inches long or so and the injector side is higher than the tank fitting.

To make a long story short, the leak was from the injector side and running down hill to the tank fitting.  It takes all of two seconds to pull this line.  Raise the chrome piece on the tank,,,pull down and its off.  Look at the other end under the tank.  There is a small button there, press button and pull, the line is now off.  No gasoline leaked when I did this however the engine had cooled off and I had rags close by just in case.  It is recommended that you remove the fuel pump fuse and start the bike and run the fuel out of the lines and to release the possible pressure build up.

My line appeared to be of a hard plastic that was shrunk onto the barbs for the fittings, no clamps of any kind.  The replacement line is a new version that is a rubber hose, larger in diameter than the crap plastic line, with clamps on both ends.

The new line has I believe an A letter after the part number that superceded the original part.  After seeing the original line, no way would I run that piece knowing what I know now.  I am just amazed that it lasted as long as it did without leaking while on the road.  Needless to say,,,,a leak there, blowing on the back cylinder at road speed would not be a good thing.

The part was 35 bucks and covered under waranty.  I would highly suggest if you have the bike in for service, try and convince them this is a part you would like to have replaced for safety reasons. I am amazed this has not been a re-call issue.

Tom

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
Re: Gas line revision
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:21:08 AM »

Hi Tom, I had reason to look at the same piece on my '05 SEEG and like you was amazed at the "push to fit" arrangement of the high pressure line to the injectors

I guess it makes for quick assembly in the factory but a hose and clip arrangement would be a lot more secure.

Cheers

Dave

If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:30:30 AM »

Tom and Dave,

The problem with the H-D fuel line isn't due to the type of fitting - the same concept has been used for more than 20 years in automotive fuel lines, air conditioning refrigerant lines, power steering lines, and some coolant lines.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 09:17:29 AM »

I agree with your comments Jerry.  There was no problem with this line until it was removed when the tank came off for the valve seal work. Upon assembly, the line was probably bent a little causing it to leak at the injector end, between the fitting and the barbs.

My point being, the material used for the line itself, semi-hard plastic.

I would really be interested to know why the superceeded part is now a rubber line with clamps.  Both ends are the same, just the line was changed to rubber with clamps.  Interesting.

Tom

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »

You also have one other option for the fuel line.  Rather than the stock black line can use the braided 63020-04.  The application card will say Dyna only.  But the fittings, length and pressure rating are the same.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 12:56:01 PM »

You also have one other option for the fuel line.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:02:51 PM »

Thank you Twolane [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I always suspected it would work, but the goofy dealers always tell me no. And I'm like why not, whats the difference? They just say No, wait for touring line to arrive. I put on my own Russell braided line w/proper hex fasteners and the service manager told me I must go back to OEM hose or a mishap might take place down the road from high fuel line pressure.

Now I'm gonna go get one.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 01:56:49 PM »

Hey Don,

What is the cigarette lighter thingy in there for.   I see you mounted it with what looks to be a computer power adapter on the backside of it and i see what looks to be a battery tender line off the cigarette plugin black piece.

Could you enlighten us a bit to what you have done there and brackets and such.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 09:07:27 PM »

Hey Don,

What is the cigarette lighter thingy in there for.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 09:10:36 PM by twolanerider »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 09:17:46 PM »

Thanks Don for the explaination and part numbers.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.