Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: twin cam gear drives  (Read 2101 times)

gocatgoracin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
twin cam gear drives
« on: October 16, 2006, 04:34:14 PM »

My primary tensioner broke at 29,000 miles, (what a joke), I am considering doing it right and going with the aftermarket gear drive cams, I really want the cams to be as close to stock as possible since I love the way the motor performs, how can I find out the spec of the cams I have in the motor now to see if the after market guys can have something compariable? What is the best on new cams? Who builds the best most dependable stuff? Which way should I go, it is alot of $ and I want to do it once and be able to ride this bike trouble free to 100,000 miles, is that even realistic? It's a 2002 FLHRSEI Thanks

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: twin cam gear drives
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 04:51:17 PM »

I am not positive but I believe that the 02 came with the  SE203 cams. Andrews has 37G cam which has very close specs to the 203. As far as the gear drive goes S&S owns the patent on the gear drive so you only have one choice there.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:54:12 PM »

My primary tensioner broke at 29,000 miles, (what a joke), I am considering doing it right and going with the aftermarket gear drive cams, I really want the cams to be as close to stock as possible since I love the way the motor performs, how can I find out the spec of the cams I have in the motor now to see if the after market guys can have something compariable? What is the best on new cams? Who builds the best most dependable stuff? Which way should I go, it is alot of $ and I want to do it once and be able to ride this bike trouble free to 100,000 miles, is that even realistic? It's a 2002 FLHRSEI Thanks
Don't just limit yourself to going w/something "close to stock as possible". I can understand your point about rideability/dependability, but if these are your concerns you can do this and gain some HP/TQ by upgrading a little. You are on the right track by going to gear drives to get rid of the cam chain tensioner/failure issue, and by going gear drive you will gain some HP/TQ. When I was looking for cams I was in the similar situation I wanted to allieviate the tensioners most of all, and if I could get more HP/TQ that would be a plus.

I first started my research by talking to "wrenches" and finding out the maximum I could go w/lift on cams w/o doing any headwork (valve spring issues). I then started looking at S&S, Andrews, and Zippers to see what they offered in the limits that I had. Luckily for me at the same time I was looking Zippers (along w/Freedom Cycle's) came out w/cams specifically designed for the 103 ci motors, and I went w/the Zippers package. You may want to contact both of these companies (Zippers & Freedom Cycle's) and see what they recommend for what you desire. Good luck.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »

Can't tell you which is better but I have the Freedom cams and I'm very happy with them.  The idle is still good, getting 105 HP & 116 Torque, but the best part is that the torque comes in a LOT earlier.  The bike is a lot more rideable with a lot less downshifting.  Getting better gas mileage as well...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hogasm

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:35:42 PM »

Don't just limit yourself to going w/something "close to stock as possible". I can understand your point about rideability/dependability, but if these are your concerns you can do this and gain some HP/TQ by upgrading a little. You are on the right track by going to gear drives to get rid of the cam chain tensioner/failure issue, and by going gear drive you will gain some HP/TQ. When I was looking for cams I was in the similar situation I wanted to allieviate the tensioners most of all, and if I could get more HP/TQ that would be a plus.

I first started my research by talking to "wrenches" and finding out the maximum I could go w/lift on cams w/o doing any headwork (valve spring issues). I then started looking at S&S, Andrews, and Zippers to see what they offered in the limits that I had. Luckily for me at the same time I was looking Zippers (along w/Freedom Cycle's) came out w/cams specifically designed for the 103 ci motors, and I went w/the Zippers package. You may want to contact both of these companies (Zippers & Freedom Cycle's) and see what they recommend for what you desire. Good luck.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
If you are going to spend the money you might as gain something from it.

crshnbrn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 09:03:41 PM »

The most expensive aspect of converting to gear-driven cams is the gearset.  Andrews offers "hybrid" cams that utilize H-D's hydraulic tensioners, roller chains & sprockets, plain-bearing cam support plate, and higher-volume oil pump used in 2006 Dyna's and all 2007 Twincams.  The cost for the parts is virtually the same, and the webbing on the inside of the cam support plate will not have to be relieved to clear the outer gear on the rear cam.

Gear-drive cam gears can be noisy depending on fit & gear tooth finish.  If you decide to go gear-driven, make sure to order them from Andrews.  They will come in S&S boxes due to patenting, but they have good quality control.

Your bike came with S/E-203 cams.  The specs are in the S/E catalog.
S/E-203 cams are dual profile with less lift on the exhaust.  I have never seen another set of cams with a very similar profile.

Check out the Andrews web site at http://www.andrewsproducts.com

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.