Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: New 117 M8 ticking - is it a time bomb?  (Read 19836 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: New 117 M8 ticking - is it a time bomb?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 03:29:24 AM »

One of the key reasons I bought the 117 was because of how much quieter than the 110 the 117 was, and how much cooler it ran.

I opted to leave it 100% stock because the bike was going to reside at the dealer for 9 months after purchase and I didn't want anyone monkeying around with it. (Even though it was on display upstairs)

Once I picked the bike up no issues (Thus far) but with stock exhaust I do note a little bit of a tick I did not note when I first bought it.

7300 miles and no major issues other than those Damn boom 2 speakers.

Time will tell I guess.. I'm waiting for it to blow up.. and it will.

:soapbox:

Bike is early production, no issues with sumping yet.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 04:35:33 PM »

2018 CVO RG
6300 MILES
Stag 4 since new Sumped!
Engine oil temperature 340 ! Shut down engine no oil on dipstick!oil showing in exhaust!  Loss power!Harley sending engineers to look Boston ma.

Will advise when I get info!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2019, 02:44:13 AM »

So my new RG is a ticking machine.  From the day I bought it it’s been ticking...sounds like valvetrain to me, but of course the dealer says it’s normal, it’ll quiet down after the 1K service, they all do that, the M8 is inherently noisy, etc.

Bottom line - it’s getting annoying, it’s no worse but it’s no better, either.  Just had the 1K done and the tech said it’s normal.  I don’t know if I’m just paranoid because of the lifter stories online or if I really need to start pushing to get someone higher up the food chain to give it a listen.  Doesn’t seem to be temp related, and it’s most noticeable at around 2,000-2,500 steady cruise or slight acceleration.  It quiets down under heavier throttle.  It seems a bit noisier than my older 103, but that one had louder pipes and an intake, so maybe I just didn’t notice it?

Anyone else have any noise issues?  I’ve told the dealer that if it IS a lifter issue, it’s a helluva lot cheaper and easier to fix now than after the mill grenades.

Thoughts?

Two things to look at, spark plug boot not all the way on one of the 4 plugs causing the spark to jump which makes a TICK, and a loose compression release will also admit a TICK. Harley sent out a bulletin to the dealers on this so called TICK.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

actionbill

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »

Posting  this as a FYI in case any of you find this helpful.
I bought a 2019 ultra limited CVO the 1st week of sept,2019. went back to dealer next day after hearing what sounded like marbles in the top end of the engine. Mind you, the bike was running fine. The tech listened to it and said give it til after break in and then let him listen again. Took it in for the first oli chane a week later with 1000 miles on it. He called me next day and said he does think there is a problem. upon tear down and inspection I was told the front piston had been narrower at it's bottom that at top and the noise was the piston slapping cylinder wall on it's way up the cylinder. it took 3 weeks (due to parts shortages) but he replaced both cylinders and pistons. The engine sounds and runs great now. I had him replace header and mufflers. install pro street and smart tuner as well. I'm not "gettin on it" heavily yet because it needs another break in period due to the new top end parts but It's looking like it will be amazing. I love this thing but not very happy with HD corp. This bike went to 2 dealers before i got it. first HD passed it with this problem. At least 2 maybe 3 dealers let it go with the noise and my dealer (which shall remain nameless) didn't want to lend me a bike after selling me a defective $43000 bike. Then I was also  told i would be rid of the catalytic converter if i just replaced my mufflers. That made no sense to me but I stupidly believed  it. Then they called to say they couldn't drill my header to replace to 12mm bung with the 18"mm because the header would crack around the drilled out hole. Soooooo another $400 out of pocket!!! Then even tho being paid by HD to repair the engine (which included taking header off) they found it neccessary  to charge me for installing the new one.

In my oppinion a $43000 bike SHOULD NOT have a single inferior part on it PERIOD!!! I also found the CAT in the original header NOT the muffler where they told me it was!

Moral of the story? Don't believe everything the sales people tell you. They are selling, The technicians know much more accurately.

Happy riding and keep shinny side up ppl.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »

My new CVO RG I bought new July 19th of this year has ticked bad since day 1!!! Dealer of course says it’s normal!! LOL!!! I have owned lots of bikes and know when something definitely does not sound right, also started the transmission- Primary transfer last week too!! Still ask myself sometimes why I handed them almost 45,000 dollars cash for so many issues!!! I have decided to have Hillside do the 128 big bore kit and the SS oil pump and cam plate, screw the warranty!!!! At least my bike will be getting worked on by a known motor guy who I trust and don’t mind spending my money with!!! I will have him check the entire bike out before I get it back.... And I absolutely love my bike when it’s running fine, does everything I need in a motorcycle, but the headache of being unreliable so far... I will keep you posted on what he finds or says about the ticking problem, He has nothing to hide because he doesn’t work for the MOCO..

joe98

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »

Actionbill & Scotman,

Sorry to hear about both your problems.  You’re absolutely correct that this should’ve never happened with the Moco’s flagship bikes.   What’s even more frustrating and disappointing is when the service department tries to pawn it off as” normal “. It’s no different when a person brings there car or truck in for service and you get it back “ no fault found “. or could not replicate problem “.   Really sad when a person drops that kinda of coin on a bike and gets treated like a piece of $hit.  I don’t own an M8 CVO, I picked up a 2012 CVO Street Glide, that was pretty much brand new as the guy who bought it brand new was a exotic car collector, motorcycles weren’t his cup of tea.   I’m still nervous about the 110” lifter failures & other issues but so far so good.  Got the extended warranty so hopefully if something does happen it’ll be covered.   Hope everything works out for both of you and all of the other M8 CVO owners.   Cheers 🍻

actionbill

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »

THX JOE, SUCH IS LIFE!
       I only really wanted to share the story because someone else might have like symptoms as my new engine did and this may help them get a handle on it. The spouting off a bit was just a bonus. Hahahaha! Venting u know. Good luck with your CVO.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »

What I’ve found was the dealers won’t mess with a little tick or what we think, there has to be failure to be corrected. I get it but sometimes a lil common sense (which isn’t too common) goes a long way. I’m sure there are good dealers out there but from my experience not in my neck of the woods.

good luck
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.