Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Harley moving jobs to Europe  (Read 12042 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Harley moving jobs to Europe
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »

these horses left the barn years ago & trying to close the barn door now has nothing to do with getting them back, just means you need to turn on a light.

I'm not tracking your metaphor.
Leave the light on and hope the horses find their way back and come home?
Meaning, make it "friendlier" for businesses to want to return home to make motorcycles and other things.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »

I'm not tracking your metaphor.
Leave the light on and hope the horses find their way back and come home?
Meaning, make it "friendlier" for businesses to want to return home to make motorcycles and other things.

Damn, now I had to read my own post.   ;D

It's dark in that barn already, with the door closed will be darker.  Turn on a light, shine a light on the situation, and yeah, maybe if the horses see the light they will come home or the owner will decide sitting in a barn & bitching about lost horses is not accomplishing anything.

We can as a country pass laws & write regulations to make it easier for companies to do more business here, with products made here.  Because the problem goes back to the 60's in various industries (and a little beyond that for others but the early 60s are a good benchmark), doubtful we could ever get all that business back.  If we selectively target industries and components, the manufacturing segment will grow.  Of course that is government picking winners and losers & no matter which party is in power when that happens, there will be graft, corruption, and favoritism. Other countries it is the same deal - they pick and choose winners/losers & penalize their trade partners to the extent they can get away with it. So should we, in some cases we do, in others we are Uncle Sam the Idiot trade partner, historically.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2018, 08:28:01 PM »

I've often thought that myself.

But why is it that folks get upset when the Motorcycle says Harley, but is made overseas, yet never bat an eye when the T-shirt that says Harley is also made overseas? Same with the leathers, boots, sunglasses and all that?

That is why I don’t buy HD clothing. I wanted to replace the HD money clip I lost.  Went to Barnett’s HD in El Paso and all of the clips were made in China. Went online and found one made by the Amish for the same price and better quality.

The only HD clothing I own are the chaps and leather jacket that I wear and they are American made.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »

really do not care what the reason for making harleys overseas are! i just know it makes me feel less and less likely to purchase another one. :(

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2018, 11:10:17 PM »

really do not care what the reason for making harleys overseas are! i just know it makes me feel less and less likely to purchase another one. :(

The high price and low quality are what’s turning me off.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »

The high price and low quality are what’s turning me off.

Now there's a statement we can all agree with...… sadly  :(
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »

In six months (or less) when those threatened tariffs don't materialize, how much does anyone want to bet that Harley won't change the plans to move production elsewhere?  It's just convenient for them and others to blame the tariff threat for something they've been planning anyway.

Even now, before any threatened tariff is added by the USA, exports to the EU are taxed heavily.  Ask anyone over there how much they  pay for a Harley and compare that price to what the same model sells for in this country after allowing for currency valuations.  That's part of what the current administration is talking about when they say the playing field is not level.  If we truly had free and fair trade, the only difference should be in things like the higher freight cost to ship bikes to Europe versus the US, and any special equipment requirements.  These days there aren't many major differences, just minor things like lighting regulations and perhaps some noise regulations.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »

In six months (or less) when those threatened tariffs don't materialize, how much does anyone want to bet that Harley won't change the plans to move production elsewhere?  It's just convenient for them and others to blame the tariff threat for something they've been planning anyway.

Even now, before any threatened tariff is added by the USA, exports to the EU are taxed heavily.  Ask anyone over there how much they  pay for a Harley and compare that price to what the same model sells for in this country after allowing for currency valuations.  That's part of what the current administration is talking about when they say the playing field is not level.  If we truly had free and fair trade, the only difference should be in things like the higher freight cost to ship bikes to Europe versus the US, and any special equipment requirements.  These days there aren't many major differences, just minor things like lighting regulations and perhaps some noise regulations.

Jerry

I agree Jerry. 

In 6 months when those threats don't materialize we will still be living in 2018, we will still be living in a global economy.

A global economy that the USA is a major player in, but not a dictator of. 

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »

I agree Jerry. 

In 6 months when those threats don't materialize we will still be living in 2018, we will still be living in a global economy.

A global economy that the USA is a major player in, but not a dictator of.

I agree as well. The administration is 100% correct.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2018, 07:05:35 PM »

trump does not like harleys being made overseas! if, this is to political for the site moderators please remove and forgive me at least once. thanks smoke!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:08:08 PM by smkymtnboy »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2018, 08:12:51 PM »

I agree as well. The administration is 100% correct.

Good luck with that part! 

Dutch Eagle

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »

I'm guessing Polaris doesn't export any of their products to the EU?

Yes they do.  They sell Indians over here for the last couple of years. And they give the Slingshot a try.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Dutch Eagle

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »

Absolutely a good move especially when you consider the tariffs that were already in place for shipping to Europe.  Just ask anyone in Europe  that has purchased anything made in America even prior to 2016.

As for the lie I agree as well some people tend to see everything as a negative and have blinders on when it comes to the truth.

For cars and motorcycles: it  depends on CO2 emissions. The higher emmissions, the higher taxes. For any brand, no matter where it is produced or where it is coming from. For instance: Buying a Tesla over here is reletivaly  cheap. For such a premium expensive car that is. Assembled here in Holland by the way, to avoid even more import/export taxes.

Although Harley sales over here is about equal to the numbers in the US, it is not such a popular brand over here. When I am in the US, I am amazed by the numbers of Harleys I see over there. An Harley over here is exclusive and expensive. Riders prefer BMW, Triumph and Ducati besides Japanese brands.

American muscle cars are unaffordable here. For instance, Ford Mustang is available here with a small 4 cylinder engine to make it more affordable.

I drive a Mercedes Benz ML350 which is a German brand and has a Made in the USA tag on it. I am pretty sure that MB will ramp up production of smaller European models like the C class pretty fast in their Alabama facilities when the US will charge those import cars more.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

FXDFSE

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2018, 09:07:21 PM »

Don't kid yourselves,  Matt and Michelle will be moving all production to Thailand to get margin dollars. They hate Trump and Thailand will pay all tooling and capital costs in addition to cheap labor.  HD needs to get new management to hopefully get back to be an American icon.  They want to crush the unions and they do not care about you other than getting you to keep buying their products and collecting their millions in pay.  Time will tell that this is the final chapter to a company we all loved.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.