Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 50 amp breaker problems  (Read 1515 times)

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
50 amp breaker problems
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »

I have a 2003 roadglide was a 95 now a 103 When I first got the bike it had a 40 amp breaker which was recalled and replaced with a 50 amp fine until last year then started to open shutting me down. I recently had to get service on a trip to Arizona and it popped while the mechanic had it on a test ride.  He replaced it with a new one now as I rode today after work it popped again.  I am reading stuff from other people that say this is fairly common and it keeps happening to them as well.  Does anyone know what the cause is or if there is a fix?

Thank you
John A. Gonzales

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 50 amp breaker problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »

I have a 2003 roadglide was a 95 now a 103 When I first got the bike it had a 40 amp breaker which was recalled and replaced with a 50 amp fine until last year then started to open shutting me down. I recently had to get service on a trip to Arizona and it popped while the mechanic had it on a test ride.  He replaced it with a new one now as I rode today after work it popped again.  I am reading stuff from other people that say this is fairly common and it keeps happening to them as well.  Does anyone know what the cause is or if there is a fix?

Thank you
John A. Gonzales
That much of a repetitive failure is beyond the norm for the service replacements.  If you want to isolate whatever stock HD might be supplying from what you can easily get elsewhere go to any decent auto parts store and get a new one.  Likely will have stock by Buss and it'll be as good as anything your going to get.

You can't discount the possibility that something is causing it to kick.  Especially with the frequency of failure you describe.  While I'd try to eliminate that possiblity before anything other than just swapping in another breaker you do have one decent option.  You can eliminate the breaker by splicing in a maxi-fuse to replace it.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »

I can't seem to find any shorts or anything else when it does it it is usually in rush  hour traffic and the bike is getting a little warm.  when I googled this I find that there are several riders with 2003 models having the exact same issue.  I almost have a temptation to put a 60 amp breaker just to try it but I don't know if thats a salution.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »

I can't seem to find any shorts or anything else when it does it it is usually in rush  hour traffic and the bike is getting a little warm.  when I googled this I find that there are several riders with 2003 models having the exact same issue.  I almost have a temptation to put a 60 amp breaker just to try it but I don't know if thats a salution.

Please don't.  A good breaker that's properly sized won't fail if there's no other problem.  There was a problem with the breakers Harley used.  That (and expense and ease of service) is likely what brought about the change to Maxi Fuses in 04 or 05.

If you've got a weak breaker (or suspect you do) replace it with a good Buss part from the parts store.  I've probably got a spare or two setting around if you need one.  On the off chance there is some transient problem (charging sytem?) putting in an oversized breaker is only going to allow the possibility of fried harness or melted connectors.  If multiple breakers keep having the same problem, however, it's time to look elsewhere for the problem.

harleycharlie1992

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »

aw, hell!! put a 5/16 bolt across those terminals and look for the smoke, you'll find the problem!!!

(only kidding!! hope you find the problem)

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »

True.  I have checked and checked can't find the problem. I am begining to think the harley breakers are junk. I will have to check the fuses like you mentioned if this persists.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »

I often use a fine needle and insert it through the insulation of a wire, much like if you were giving it a "shot". I then use small alligator clips to attach to the needles. This way I can check each load carrying electrical circuit for its amperage draw. This can be accomplished with or without the engine running and I will check both ways during troubleshooting. It is unlikely that you getting a "bad" breaker each time you replace it and more likely you have one (or more) circuits drawing an excessive amount of current.  Another method is to add electrical loads one at a time and measure the total amperage output as each load is added.  Be it something in the lighting, sound system, gauges, etc. is causing your breaker to open.
Jesus is Lord

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 08:10:14 PM »

I will try that.  But the thing is it only does it when there is a lot of heat like in phoenix or in rush hour traffice.  Any other time it won't happen.

Later
John

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »

Remember the rule, as temperature increases so does resistance increase. Higher resistance with a constant voltage results in higher amperage draw. Ohm's law.
Jesus is Lord

Page created in 0.595 seconds with 25 queries.