Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with 2012 SERG cb,xm install.  (Read 2948 times)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
Help with 2012 SERG cb,xm install.
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »

My buddy just bought the blue serg and wants to install the cb and xm from his other bike. Can any one point me in the right direction for this? Thanks.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Help with 2012 SERG cb,xm install.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »

Fireguy, since you want the CB and XM to go into a '12, I moved the thread to the '12 board.  More facts would help.  I assume you know how to get into both fairings to remove the cb and xm Since you include the cb, is it to come out of an Ultra?  If so, you'll need either an overlay wiring harness or an utra harness to accommodate the cb and xm addition to the SERG C.  You'll also need the Ultra dash if you want to have cb access that way.  Otherwise, it's a straight forward install.  I know others have done it so you might want to use the search function for more info.  Hope this helps. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »

I remember seeing something about the 2010 and newer bikes having issue with adding cb's and xm with the wiring harness. Mine was a plug and play, has there been a change since then?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:52:09 PM by Fireguy »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »

HD lists both the XM and CB as a "no fit" on the FLTRXSE, as well as for the SESG2/3 models.  In the latter case, this is primarily due to the wiring harness inside the fairing lacking the 6B connector found on other models that is used by the non-Ultra Overlay Harness, 70169-06A, for both accessory modules.  The supplying of the 6B connector on the SESG2/3 models is well-documented on this forum--suggested search terms:  "6B connector."  The "no fit" for the FLTRXSE is probably due to the absence of the 6B connector and the solution offered for the SESG2/3 is probably equally effective on the FLTRXSE.

I suggest in the absence of a definitive answer here, your buddy buy/borrow the 2012 Touring Model HD service manual and the FLTRXSE supplement.  With those, he can confirm what he will need to supply that HD omitted on his bike.

Also, as an alternative to replacing the console for a "standard" add-on CB installation, he should consider HD's alternative kit that doesn't require the replacement of the console; HD p/n 77108-09A.  Due to the underlying "no fit" for CB, he'll also find that HD lists this kit as a "no fit" for the FLTRXSE.

Bottom line:  Your buddy needs to confirm if the bike has the 6B connector; preferably from HD's wiring diagram for the bike; as well as confirming the same/difference of the wiring on the 27B connector to the radio--the wiring diagrams for the non-CVO FLTR in the Touring model SM will allow him to i.d. and difference with the 27B connector on his bike.

Carl

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »

Thanks Carl. I will forward this to him.

jonsack

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »

I just did this to my skunk. I don't think there is room for both the cb and the xm radio as the iPod interface is where the cb radio would be installed. You will need a different bracket for the xm antenna. I have an extra one I can sell to you. I used the non ultra overlay harness. The 2012 serg does not have the 6b connector so I spliced the 6a connector wires into the audio harness on the bike from the plug that is disconnected from the back of the radio and replaced by the overlay harness. Finally I had to add the 3 iPod wires to the overlay harness plug that fits into the back of the radio from the one that it replaces. I used a wiring diagram from the workshop manual and followed the wire colors. I also added the Harley hidden antenna for the radio in the fairing elimination the on on the
 left rear of the bike. Cleans it up a lot. Everything works great! No reprogramming required.
Its really not that difficult!
Cheers, Jon.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:31:52 AM »

I just did this to my skunk. I don't think there is room for both the cb and the xm radio as the iPod interface is where the cb radio would be installed. You will need a different bracket for the xm antenna. I have an extra one I can sell to you. I used the non ultra overlay harness. The 2012 serg does not have the 6b connector so I spliced the 6a connector wires into the audio harness on the bike from the plug that is disconnected from the back of the radio and replaced by the overlay harness. Finally I had to add the 3 iPod wires to the overlay harness plug that fits into the back of the radio from the one that it replaces. I used a wiring diagram from the workshop manual and followed the wire colors. I also added the Harley hidden antenna for the radio in the fairing elimination the on on the
 left rear of the bike. Cleans it up a lot. Everything works great! No reprogramming required.
Its really not that difficult!
Cheers, Jon.

Thanks Jon.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.