Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Windshield mod?  (Read 8198 times)

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
Windshield mod?
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »

Ok did my first couple of highway rides on my 13 SERG. Man the windshield is worthless.  At 70 MPH i felt like  bobble head. My glasses shook so much I couldn't see. Needless to say the windshield search is on , hundred of post later seem like the Cee Baily rises to the top. But man all of these taller windshield (15" recommended, I'm 5'10" 31" in seam) seem like they really kill the lines of the bike.

One thought all RG windshields seal at the front lower edge of the fairing. I notice on my K1600 there was a small airspace that relieved pressure and aided airflow (reduced buffetting?). A friend of mine had a V-Strom and based on forum recommendations he drilled a inch and a half hole at the base of the windshield, pressure gone less buffeting. I have no idea how the physics of this works but it seems to. So to the point, has anyone tried this type of mod to  the stock shield ? Any one have any idea why this would work? In reading the posts one of the windshields that seem to work real well on the RG is the Madstad, the Madstad that allows for airflow under the lower front edge of the shield. I don't like the look of that shield but got me thinking.

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Windshield mod?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »

I found the post below on a BMW website that my explain what i am thinking

Windshield turbulence is caused by a pressure and velocity differential between the air behind the windshield and the air hitting the windshield. As the air passes over the top of the windshield the 'vacuum' behind the windshield pulls it down. An oscillation gets set up which causes vortices of air coming off the lip along the boundary between the fast and slow moving air. These vortices detach and move along the air stream, contributing to turbulence. The low frequency booming you hear is these Von Karman vortices hitting you in the head. Here's a nice little video illustrating the effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Karman_Vortex_Street_Off_Cylinder.ogv

also found this

http://www.ehow.com/how_7907775_prevent-karman-vortices-motorcycle-windshields.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:36:36 PM by bostonCVO »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »

Ok did my first couple of highway rides on my 13 SERG. Man the windshield is worthless.  At 70 MPH i felt like  bobble head. My glasses shook so much I couldn't see. Needless to say the windshield search is on , hundred of post later seem like the Cee Baily rises to the top. But man all of these taller windshield (15" recommended, I'm 5'10" 31" in seam) seem like they really kill the lines of the bike.

One thought all RG windshields seal at the front lower edge of the fairing. I notice on my K1600 there was a small airspace that relieved pressure and aided airflow (reduced buffetting?). A friend of mine had a V-Strom and based on forum recommendations he drilled a inch and a half hole at the base of the windshield, pressure gone less buffeting. I have no idea how the physics of this works but it seems to. So to the point, has anyone tried this type of mod to  the stock shield ? Any one have any idea why this would work? In reading the posts one of the windshields that seem to work real well on the RG is the Madstad, the Madstad that allows for airflow under the lower front edge of the shield. I don't like the look of that shield but got me thinking.

It's an old idea that's been available on various bike shields for many years (just not on a stock Harley shield).  In basic terms what occurs is a vacuum forms directly behind the windshield, and air tumbles in from the sides, above, and below to fill that vacuum.  That air is turbulent, thus the head shaking and buffeting.  For an analogy, think of how a vacuum forms directly behind a van and sucks road debris and dirt onto the back of the van.  One fix is to install an air deflector on the roof that forces air down the back of the van to kill the vacuum.  On a bike windshield having a slot at the base of the shield (high pressure area) that directs air up the inside of the windshield "kills" the vacuum and allows for much smoother airflow.  For this to work well it needs to be properly engineered, with the correct size and angle of the air intake.  Just drilling a couple holes may or may not provide an improvement, and trial and error could get pretty expensive.

Harley is aware of the concept.  I had a small quarter fairing on my '99 FXDX that Harley offered in the catalog, and the shield was set up like I described above.  However, for whatever reason Harley hasn't seen fit to improve the shields they install on their Touring bikes.  In fact, the tiny "looks cool" deflectors they install on Street Glides and most CVO models are actually worse than the larger standard shields in terms of rider comfort and protection.  Never forget, with Harley it's all about style, not function.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:57:08 AM »

I can vouch for the Cee Baileys shield though I think you'll only need the 14".  See here:  Re: SERG AND CVO: VERY GOOD TO ME! NEXT?  The mounting angle of the fairing is slightly different on the newer models but I doubt very much it will make any difference.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:24:38 AM »

You could look at a Clearview shield they even offer an adjustable vent down low near the faring.  I have read where some like it even if it looks like it belongs on an import bike. They have a good return policy where you could try the shield out and return it if you don't like it as long as you leave the film on the shield.
http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=9

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »

You should already have the flaps on the crash bar, I highly recommend that you install the "dog dish" (wind deflector) under the triple trees, before you start shuffling windshields
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »

I'm not sure if the RG Custom comes with these:  http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fltr-wind-deflector-kit

If not, they help.  But nothing is going to help a windshield that is simply too short. Having owned both a batwing bike and an RG, I can say that windshield height on a RG is absolutely critical to alleviate buffeting.

The Cee Glide by Cee Bailey mounts differently, so there is a small gap between the bottom of the shield and the fairing (you don't use the rubber gasket) which also helps reduce the pressure differential.  Regardless, you MUST get the height right.  It's one of those function over form things...only you can decide which of the two is more important.

The last one I had on the SERGU was a Clearview, finally getting the height right for me, and it worked like a charm.  I had the Cee Glide as well, but it was too tall for me, so I sold it.  Both are excellent products.  Measure three times and order once.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »

Pssssst............

Freedom Shields.. ;)

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »

I am watching a stock shield on ebay if it sells cheap enough . I am going to try cutting a pressure relief hole/slot in the bottom front and see what happens. In the mean time I am going to get the dog dish, the bike did come with the plastic deflectors and they are on. Other than that leaning toward the Cee Baylee. 14"

20 gauge

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: 07 FXDSE2
    • CVO3: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »

Not considered a REAL roadglide owner till your garage has 3 windshields in storage.

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »

Greg can you look over the 14" CB?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »

Greg can you look over the 14" CB?

Yes, I can look over it and do.  It is also not so dark that you cannot look through it if you need.   (5'11" -  32" inseam)

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »

check out the MAKO from LongRideShields.com been using this for over a year and it works and looks pretty good
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »

I agree the Mako looks pretty good.

Tele

• dream as if you'll live for ever
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »

Hi 2cents worth I gave up on the windscreens left it stock an bought a shoe full face helmet designed for upright riding and Wala no buffeting and I am 6'2 32instep bike looks as nature intended stock.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »

I know that sometimes form over function as so many have said, ends up being what we do.

The MadStad windshield system is not maybe the best looking windshield, but based on the discussion here and on the SERG forum, it does work.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2136/.fI've

I've attached a PDF from MadStad that goes pretty much like has been explained here about the vacuum behind etc.  Take a look...

For my riding right now on my '09 SERG, I have a Cee Baileys Cee Glide and it seems to work better for me than a stock height RG standard windshield that I rode with for the first couple years.

I think there is a thread on the SERG forum, but I couldn't find it and just posted this up for information only.  Some of the new SERG guys may not have been around when this stuff was posted.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

jcd520

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »

Hi 2cents worth I gave up on the windscreens left it stock an bought a shoe full face helmet designed for upright riding and Wala no buffeting and I am 6'2 32instep bike looks as nature intended stock.

I tried my Shoei 3/4 open face and get the same result-----------its totally acceptable , but mostly I use  a 1/2 helmet or none at all and the buffeting is totally horrible. Also the stock stereo is not usable at highway speeds with the 3/4 helmet.......so its either more stereo or more windshield , or both.

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »

My .02
I'm 6'3'' and have tried the, Stocker, KW 16 or 15. Whichever it is, same height Windvest and got Rattled to brain trauma with each and everyone of them.
A few days ago I ordered the HD 6'' Black and what a Joker of a smile I had from ear to ear, I love it. Can't see how I've managed to put on 3K with those other POS's...
2013 SERG Longhorn Burnt Orange
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
C&C custom gel seat, pillion and tour pack rest.
Buky custom made these 12's x 1'&1/2
Custom paint done by Doug Starbuck in Riverside CA.

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »

I have the 14" Cee Bailey of order. I that does not work may be I will try going lower and see if lees windshield creates less vacuum and less turbulence

jcd520

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »

My .02
I'm 6'3'' and have tried the, Stocker, KW 16 or 15. Whichever it is, same height Windvest and got Rattled to brain trauma with each and everyone of them.
A few days ago I ordered the HD 6'' Black and what a Joker of a smile I had from ear to ear, I love it. Can't see how I've managed to put on 3K with those other POS's...

Just want to be sure I read this right----------------Are you saying  you went to a shorter , 6" , little shield and there is no buffeting ?????? Do you have lower fairings on your bike ? What else? I am dealing with this as we speak and trying to get it fixed with the least amount of expenditure, hopefully without going through 10 windshields. I am 6'3" with 38" inseam(tall) . Actually I love this bike but I have been examining the windflow for about 10 days now and it seems lots of wind comes from below as well as from the little cutouts on the sides of the stock 12" HD dark grey the bike came with. I know its trial and error but I can't help but think the proper shield in addition to some lowers would remedy the buffeting. It beats my ears to death at anything over 60 and worse if its a windy day. Can't hear the stereo at all. I have a batwing bike and it was a very simple fix. I run that shield at 10.5 inches from the center screw on the fairing to the top of the shield and its perfect.

jcd520

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »

Ok, FWIW ------------------I read the post above about the physics of vacuums forming in the cockpit ------------
so I went to the local Ace Hardware this morning and bought some 1/4" thick rubber fender washers , removed the stock HD 12" dark grey windshield , replaced the stock rubber washers with the new ones I bought, left off the stock gasket and reinstalled the windshield. This left about a 1/4 inch space between the windshield and the fairing (it actually looked very nice without that gasket) and went for a ride . It made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
Thought this might help someone --------------Im going to keep tinkering with this idea while I wait on my Ceebaileys 15. I'll keep posting if I come up with something that works.

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »

Ok, FWIW ------------------I read the post above about the physics of vacuums forming in the cockpit ------------
so I went to the local Ace Hardware this morning and bought some 1/4" thick rubber fender washers , removed the stock HD 12" dark grey windshield , replaced the stock rubber washers with the new ones I bought, left off the stock gasket and reinstalled the windshield. This left about a 1/4 inch space between the windshield and the fairing (it actually looked very nice without that gasket) and went for a ride . It made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
Thought this might help someone --------------Im going to keep tinkering with this idea while I wait on my Ceebaileys 15. I'll keep posting if I come up with something that works.
Jc,
I HIGHLY doubt that the CeeBaileys is going to be the solution that were looking for, As slightly taller guys, in this situation I wish I was tall like Horse Jockeys :)
Anyway, Let me tell you, I rode on PCH for a few minutes in traffic and when i got onto the interstate I was bracing for another failure and what happened?
It was like a new bike and the entire dynamics has changed with the 6'er, I'll post the part # when I find it and it was only 129.00 from the Stealer.
Anyone interested in my 3 others Before mentioned? LOL
I Don't think I'll sell those to anyone over 6'
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »

Also the handling is like butter now, cut through curves and the maneuverability is outstanding, the bike seemed to now be in its center gravity in proper balance.
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams

Tele

• dream as if you'll live for ever
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 03:20:53 AM »

Hi all there wouldn't be a chance of a photo of your bike with the 6er on it cause I've been thinkin the same thing. If you think about it if you ride a softail with out a windshield there is no buffeting at all so it would stand to reason if you are a tall rider and you reduce the height of the screen then you would be in air not turbulence created by restrictions from the taller screen I'm going to give this a go thanks for the comformation   

jcd520

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »

On page 314 of the HD accessories catalog there is a picture of both the 5" and the 6" Harley offerings.
Also if this works there is a picture of a 9" windsplitter and a 7" windsplitter on page 310 and 311, ------------Stock on 2012 /2013 is 12"windsplitter.
It has occurred to me that the windsplitter does about as much harm as good. They look cool , no doubt but I know for sure lots of air comes by your head from the little cutouts on the side of the windshield as I have been monitoring where the air is coming from for about two weeks now.
I suppose to see if the theory of shorter is better , you could just take the stocker off and go for a ride and see if its better or worse for you. Im going to try that in the next day or two just to see what happens.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »

im 6.0 and went with a 12 inch LRS mako big improvement , it dont look as good as the stock sheild but works a lot better. my girl says her glasses dont jump aroud any more. plus they offer forum member pricing also. my 2 cents
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »

The shorter is better thing only works if it's so short, or you're so tall, that your entire upper shoulders, neck, and head are out "in the wind" so are not subjected to the turbulence behind the windshield.  Kinda defeats the purpose of the windshield, IMO.

There are three options: Ride the bike with your head bobbling around like one of those things people put on the hat rack of their cars; Get one shorter so that your entire neck/head are totally exposed to the wind flow (and eat bugs, rocks, rain, and other road debris); Get a windshield that is the proper height for YOU by measuring carefully.

It is a decision about function over form, period.  You are much further back from the shield on a RG, so windshield height is much more critical in eliminating turbulence.  A full face or flip face helmet will help matters as well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »

I'll post a pic later tonight on my ride, it makes it look more like a Killer Shark than before :)
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »

One more...
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 09:42:07 PM »

My .02

The '09 SERG came stock with the 6", the guy I bought it from had a 8" KlockWorks on it (he included the stock windshield and pipes).

A friend of mine gave me a 12" WindSplitter, which made a significant improvement over the KW (I like the looks too), then I installed the flaps (the '09 came with the dog dish) which made a huge improvement for me, but "The Ball & Chain" says it's still not as good as the '05 SEEG.

'Am going to install the vented lowers as soon as they come back from Gunslinger (already have the '10 and later fairing brackets)

I'll see how it is for a while, then on your recommendation I will try the stock 6" shield.

I am 6'5" w/ 34" inseam

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »

+ The Visability is outstanding with the 6" also the handling is unbelievable.
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams

bostonCVO

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »

Ok tried the 14inch Cee Bailey round no relief still can't drive over 60. Went to Harley parts demo day at the local dealer tried a 15 inch wind splitter better, but still not good. Starting to think I bought the wrong bike the only way to make it drivable it to make it ugly.

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »

Ok tried the 14inch Cee Bailey round no relief still can't drive over 60. Went to Harley parts demo day at the local dealer tried a 15 inch wind splitter better, but still not good. Starting to think I bought the wrong bike the only way to make it drivable it to make it ugly.

Ugly?
I like mine Ugly :)
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.