Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson officially spins off new electric bicycle company  (Read 3931 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.

Well, since the motorcycle business is not going very well:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Harley-Davidson officially spins off new electric bicycle company
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »

Interesting. 

No answers to the Power? Battery Capacity? Price? questions. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »

Initial price point is projected to be $33,846 plus $895 PDI and $500 dealer docs fee with $90 upcharge for nitrogen for the tires.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 03:38:45 PM »

Initial price point is projected to be $33,846 plus $895 PDI and $500 dealer docs fee with $90 upcharge for nitrogen for the tires.

LMAO but for the fact you're probably right!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mark

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 04:31:16 PM »

I don’t want to be the Negative Nancy here, but if I wanted an electric bike, I’d buy from an established bicycle manufacturer, like Trek, Specialized, etc.  What happens when HD stops making these and you need a part?  Plus, I can’t imagine what these will cost compared to the competition.   

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »

And if you don't get your air from a dealer it will void the warranty

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 07:39:20 PM »

And if you don't get your air from a dealer it will void the warranty

True.  And we forgot to mention the "Neighborhood Compliance Requirement for Nitrogen Usage."  The NCRNU stipulates that if you don't use Harley branded nitrogen (HA or Hot Air) your warranty is voided as is the warranty of everyone in your neighborhood; for all bicycles, motorcycles, refrigerators and toaster ovens.  It is a broadly applied regimen.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 07:10:51 AM »

Sneak peak info from the grandson of the Harley pool guy, who runs sweeps out a used bicycle shop in Des Moines... 

All rumors on the nitrogen are verifiably true, because they were on the internet & read.

Some current electric bike brands will allow throttle assist up to 28 mph or more.  The Harley will be Speed Limited to 14 mph.  Or 10 mph for the non CVO option. Weight will be 214 pounds, a tad heavier than the average electric bike.  Range will be 5-6 miles under power, with the key words here being "under power."  Turning radius will be just under 20 feet.

There is a GPS option for an additional $2599. based on the award winning, customer acclaimed, all around perfect GTS system that is considered Best in Field by the HD folks that approved the GTS specs for their dino powered bikes. The rumor that the jiffy stand will also be fully electrically powered is under investigation but doubtful because it would cut battery life by 50%.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 07:15:16 AM »

I don’t want to be the Negative Nancy here, but if I wanted an electric bike, I’d buy from an established bicycle manufacturer, like Trek, Specialized, etc.  What happens when HD stops making these and you need a part?  Plus, I can’t imagine what these will cost compared to the competition.

All very good points, Mark.

I'll ask the question. 

Why? 

Because we all know just how well the MoCo does when it ventures into realms they are not accustom too.  I'm guessing this is why there's no money for a redesigned touring frame and/or they decided to drop 5 or more models from the line-up.  Gotta use that development money for these new-fangled doo-dads...

....and you kids stay off my lawn...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 07:17:26 AM by Haird »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 07:21:56 AM »

It's voodoo business,

When no one wants to, or can afford to buy the overpriced under-engineered motorcycles you have to look at other options. So now in addition to shirts, hats, bangles and trinkets, the customers who cannot afford an HD can afford "the next best thing" an HD bicycle.

Nothing says "2020" like an HD bicycle.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »

First actual publicly available model of the new bicycle will be the, "Buell-Aermacchi Vintage Edition."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »

It appears to be a collector's item.  It's not practical or functional where most ebike owners are concerned.

We have a couple of fat tire ebikes that we ride here in the desert.....fenders, suspension, speedometer/odometer, battery gauge, head light/tailight, luggage rack, etc.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mark

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »

All very good points, Mark.

I'll ask the question. 

Why? 

Because we all know just how well the MoCo does when it ventures into realms they are not accustom too.  I'm guessing this is why there's no money for a redesigned touring frame and/or they decided to drop 5 or more models from the line-up.  Gotta use that development money for these new-fangled doo-dads...

....and you kids stay off my lawn...
I am truly baffled by the executive team running HD...the old adage “fiddling while Rome burns” comes to mind.  An overpriced under performing electric motorcycle that won’t sell, a naked sport bike (apparently canceled), an adventure bike, and now an electric bicycle.  Stick with what you know and work to improve it.  There’s a reason we don’t see Ford making golf carts or Apple making kitchen appliances.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »

It appears to be a collector's item.  It's not practical or functional where most ebike owners are concerned.

We have a couple of fat tire ebikes that we ride here in the desert.....fenders, suspension, speedometer/odometer, battery gauge, head light/tailight, luggage rack, etc.
What's the brand name  JC?
The "TAZMUN"

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.