Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sena Cavalry Helmet --- Anyone Have Firsthand Experience  (Read 4871 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Sena Cavalry Helmet --- Anyone Have Firsthand Experience
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »

It's time for a new lid.  I really like the LS2 helmets just for their latch so had decided on the LS2 Rebellion for a new half helmet.  Then stumbled in to the Sena Cavalry.  All the electronics on onboard and well integrated.  I just find it hard to immediately believe that a brim mounted noise cancelling mic is going to work as well as the company and the trade rags suggest.  So if anyone has any firsthand experience please share.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Re: Sena Cavalry Helmet --- Anyone Have Firsthand Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »

I bought and installed the whole Sena Freewire and Calvary helmet.  Paid the shop 100 bucks to install the connectors/adaptor cable under the fairing (2014 CVO Ultra Limited)  The whole thing was sposeed to pair flawlessly with the infotainment unit and be able to use the Harley stuff (phone, navigation, voice commands etc) Bluetooth with no wires!  IT DOESN'T!  It paired and worked great with another Calvary helmet and worked great as an intercom.  The speaker is good the mic at anything over 30 mph SUX!!!  I made the shop take it all back and they gave me a refund less the service work for the install.  The SENA techs don't know their Azz from their elbow about this product.  It was released way too early.  This is jus my $.02
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »

While I haven't used either helmet and my opinion is just that, I would say it may be a bit early when it comes to the technology with the Calvary. Depending on how much you use bike's infotainment system, the Calvary seems very limited when integrating it into the bike. And I'm the first one to point out my lack of knowledge when it comes to Bluetooth but, while I don't like the cord hanging from my helmet, for now it lends itself better for infotainment on the bike.
I think the moco will come out with something that will allow the Bluetooth connection with sena products relatively soon as it is obvious they are losing customers to sena. Riders don't want to be tethered to the cord and for some it's not a bother having some functions running through the infotainment system and others in the helmet. For me the LS2 gives the more important features.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »

I bought and installed the whole Sena Freewire and Calvary helmet.  Paid the shop 100 bucks to install the connectors/adaptor cable under the fairing (2014 CVO Ultra Limited)  The whole thing was sposeed to pair flawlessly with the infotainment unit and be able to use the Harley stuff (phone, navigation, voice commands etc) Bluetooth with no wires!  IT DOESN'T!  It paired and worked great with another Calvary helmet and worked great as an intercom.  The speaker is good the mic at anything over 30 mph SUX!!!  I made the shop take it all back and they gave me a refund less the service work for the install.  The SENA techs don't know their Azz from their elbow about this product.  It was released way too early.  This is jus my $.02

Not sure what install might have been required as the Cavalry is piece that comes with the com and electronics pre-installed.  It's an integrated unit out of the box.  For me the integration to the Infotainment system is irrelevant also.  The mic's effectiveness at anything above in town speeds I'm very interested in though.  That is precisely the type field information I was hoping for.  Thanks.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »

While I haven't used either helmet and my opinion is just that, I would say it may be a bit early when it comes to the technology with the Calvary. Depending on how much you use bike's infotainment system, the Calvary seems very limited when integrating it into the bike. And I'm the first one to point out my lack of knowledge when it comes to Bluetooth but, while I don't like the cord hanging from my helmet, for now it lends itself better for infotainment on the bike.
I think the moco will come out with something that will allow the Bluetooth connection with sena products relatively soon as it is obvious they are losing customers to sena. Riders don't want to be tethered to the cord and for some it's not a bother having some functions running through the infotainment system and others in the helmet. For me the LS2 gives the more important features.

Thanks for the time to offer the input.  No current concern with future industry trend and competition though.  Potential purchase is now so how the product is actually functioning in the field currently is the interest.  Thanks.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »

Not sure what install might have been required as the Cavalry is piece that comes with the com and electronics pre-installed.  It's an integrated unit out of the box.  For me the integration to the Infotainment system is irrelevant also.  The mic's effectiveness at anything above in town speeds I'm very interested in though.  That is precisely the type field information I was hoping for.  Thanks.
If you gonna jus use it to bluetooth to your phone or another Calvary the speakers were as good as the HD headset.  The mic worked better with out the Harley interface (Freewire unit) but not nearly as well as the HD boom mic.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »

If you gonna jus use it to bluetooth to your phone or another Calvary the speakers were as good as the HD headset.  The mic worked better with out the Harley interface (Freewire unit) but not nearly as well as the HD boom mic.

For my uses would only be paired with another helmet or the phone or the GPS unit. The more I think about it the more I'm probably going to go with decent helmet without the com's. 

I've had those helmets in the past and use the functions sparingly. I just don't want to be bothered when I'm on the bike. Plus I really like the flip down eye protection on a couple of others that this one doesn't offer. Probably going with my first choice and just ordering that LS2 Rebellion.

Paulie60

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »

if you want to use this headset/helmet and access the infonaut system your HD Bike you need to get the Freewire module that interfaces with the boom audio plugged into the cb mountain the bike look at the set up on you tube

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »

My evaluation is very different from some of the other comments, but maybe I am using it differently. I purchased the Cavalry helmet as a bike to bike intercom communicator. Four of us have the helmet and it has performed amazingly well. I actually thought that the remote speakers and mike would be useless at highway speeds, but we have all been very happy with the speech quality, clarity and ease of communication at interstate speeds and I do not use the ear cups!

I have a 2014 Road King CVO so I do not have an infotainment system and really have no desire for one so I cannot comment on the performance if that is important to you. What I can say is the rare times I use my phone and listen to music through the bluetooth connection it has worked very well. Even more amazing is when I receive a phone call, the caller cannot believe I am on a bike and the call is so clear.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »

if you want to use this headset/helmet and access the infonaut system your HD Bike you need to get the Freewire module that interfaces with the boom audio plugged into the cb mountain the bike look at the set up on you tube

Keep in mind that this thread started before the 2018 model release.  The Sena Freewire system does have limitations.  However, the new Harley WHIM will connect to the Sena Calvary helmet and will function well with the Infotainment system
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »

I spoke to a sena rep at my local HD shop the other day. He mentioned that they are introducing a version 2 of the Calvary helmet this coming spring and he expected it to come with the 20S format. I purchased the whim and 20S evo and am very happy with it.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

TriDan

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »

I've got one.  Rode with the Sena Freewire and now have a bluetooth module in the bike that allows for helmet connection.

I love the helmet for pretty much all speeds for everything BUT talking.

The mic is basically worthless above about 45MPH.  I don't bother trying any more, even leaning into the windshield doesn't help.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »

For my uses would only be paired with another helmet or the phone or the GPS unit. The more I think about it the more I'm probably going to go with decent helmet without the com's. 

I've had those helmets in the past and use the functions sparingly. I just don't want to be bothered when I'm on the bike. Plus I really like the flip down eye protection on a couple of others that this one doesn't offer. Probably going with my first choice and just ordering that LS2 Rebellion.

Don, what did you finally do on helmet? Did you try the Cavalry or did you go another route
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »

Don, what did you finally do on helmet? Did you try the Cavalry or did you go another route

I ended up talking myself out of what was, for me, the unnecessary electronics in a helmet.  Went with the LS2 Rebellion.  Better coverage than most half helmets.  Effective venting; which doesn't exist in most half helmets.  It's also got drop down sunshade that I quickly came to really like.  Was the only lid I rode with after getting it last year.  Turned out to be a keeper.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »

I ended up talking myself out of what was, for me, the unnecessary electronics in a helmet.  Went with the LS2 Rebellion.  Better coverage than most half helmets.  Effective venting; which doesn't exist in most half helmets.  It's also got drop down sunshade that I quickly came to really like.  Was the only lid I rode with after getting it last year.  Turned out to be a keeper.

Thanks Don. Looking for something the wife and I can use for communication at a reasonable price..hoping you had a good review of it
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 24 queries.