Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: '14 Limited leaking coolant again  (Read 8913 times)

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: '14 Limited leaking coolant again
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »

Mien has not leaked any water either or burned any oil! :)   You can really tell the difference in volume when you slow down so it does sound like that feature may not be working. I do know if there a lot of other noise the volume may not drop but I am sure you took that in account.  Sorry to hear you have any issues with your ride. 

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »

Quick update - after taking back to dealer. They found there was an air lock in the system. So simple but so frustrating. Hopefully its the truth!!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »

I hope this has it fixed for you!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »

Quick update - after taking back to dealer. They found there was an air lock in the system. So simple but so frustrating. Hopefully its the truth!!

This is the same place that said running it without coolant was OK, right?  So while I hope everything is OK now, don't be too surprised if it isn't.  If there was an air bubble in the system, it was there because they didn't purge any trapped air when they last "worked" on the cooling system.  It's a very simple process.

If you have another dealership within a reasonable distance, you might want to consider trying that service department.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »

They also have problems with Bad or Faulty Radiator Caps a 1 week old bike had a bad cap ???
DND

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:40 PM »

Interesting that there isn't any kind of error code if the coolant is low. I thought I saw something about that but I am sure my old mind was playing tricks. I may try to find time to look tonight.  I do think the coolant should be checked but under normal conditions (no leaks) I would think twice a year is plenty. I do a pretty good inspection at least once a month and major inspection every year. I rider her almost every day including in the winter unless it is raining so I like to make sure she is safe and reliable. I can't have anything that is not reliable.
I'm sorry you have this problem and hope you get it resolved soon but I don't think anyone buys a HD for reliability but we all sure hope for that.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »

Never assume that Harley has your back, you could find out the hard way they really don't. 

I'm not familiar with all the details of the system, but I don't remember seeing anything about a coolant level sensor.  And once the coolant is lost, you won't get a meaningful temperature reading from the coolant temperature sensor either.  You have to have the sensor immersed in coolant for it to work properly.  The same thing is true of the temperature gauge in cars and trucks.

I think it would be a very good idea to make a quick check of the coolant level part of a pre-ride inspection, along with things like checking tires and all lights.

Jerry
Good advice. When I had liquid cooled bikes I always made that a part of my pre-ride check. On my old VTX it was just a matter of looking at a translucent reservoir hidden ahead of the rear wheel.  That bike did leak coolant when it was new, so it isn't just Harley. Of course a quick turn on a hose clamp and it never leaked another drop. Wasn't quite tight enough from the factory. I also had a Vulcan 1600 that was liquid cooled. It never leaked any, but did leak gear oil from the final drive (shaft drive). My experience with that service dept. was a lot like the OP's Harley "tech." Had it back twice and neither time did the rear wheel stay clean for more than a mile. Could have really been dangerous. Can you say Lemon Law? In the end, a good mechanic fixed it in twenty minutes.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »

Good advice. When I had liquid cooled bikes I always made that a part of my pre-ride check. On my old VTX it was just a matter of looking at a translucent reservoir hidden ahead of the rear wheel.  That bike did leak coolant when it was new, so it isn't just Harley. Of course a quick turn on a hose clamp and it never leaked another drop. Wasn't quite tight enough from the factory. I also had a Vulcan 1600 that was liquid cooled. It never leaked any, but did leak gear oil from the final drive (shaft drive). My experience with that service dept. was a lot like the OP's Harley "tech." Had it back twice and neither time did the rear wheel stay clean for more than a mile. Could have really been dangerous. Can you say Lemon Law? In the end, a good mechanic fixed it in twenty minutes.
BTW I traded that Vulcan on a 2010 Heritage that I rode for over five years and almost thirty thousand miles and the only problem was cracked saddle bags that the ESP covered. So sometimes Harleys are reliable (and sometimes they are not). All of my bikes have given me some kind of minor trouble, but for the most part I've been lucky.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.