Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bike will not start  (Read 1976 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
bike will not start
« on: April 26, 2023, 08:34:55 PM »

I have a friend that has a 2007 FLHTCU, it is not a CVO but I figured you guys could still help.

The bike would not start, cranked over but no spark or fuel. He took the bike to a dealer and after 6 weeks they are telling him that he needs a new ECM and they can order one but it will not be in until july of 2024!! Over a year wait for an ECM for a 2007 bike! He was going to purchase a used ECM off ebay but the dealer is telling him that it will not work in his bike because ECM's are bike specific. I call BS on that one.

His question to me that I am passing along to you smart fellas. Can he purchase a used ECM off ebay and be ok or does he need to have the ECM flashed by the dealer to make a used one work in his bike? Are there after market options for an ecm?

Thanks in advance for all the tips!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: bike will not start
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:17:32 PM »

I would start with the crank sensor, as long as all fuses and relays are good.
But if it is the ECM I would buy a ThunderMax,  maybe a indy that sells them will agree to  confirm the bike starts before he buys it.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 07:30:34 AM »

I would start with the crank sensor, as long as all fuses and relays are good.
But if it is the ECM I would buy a ThunderMax,  maybe a indy that sells them will agree to  confirm the bike starts before he buys it.

I will pass this along to him, I know initially the dealer thought it was just a sensor but now they say it isnt. Thank you for the info!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 12:56:47 PM »

If the problem is actually an ECM the ECM and the TSSM are electronically paired.  There is, however, a handlebar switch controlled process to mate an ECM and TSSM that don't know each other.  It's a pain in the ass but it can be done.  If your buddy does go that way just tell him to search eBay for a listing that have an ECM and a TSSM from the same bike. I've seen them listed that way with some regularity.

The Thundermax option suggested is also a consideration.  I'm not a huge fan but, if an ECM is the problem, it would get him going and would do so without to be concerned with TSSM pairing. 

As was also mentioned, don't discount the various other sensors, connectors, etc.  It's worthwhile to look inside the ECM and its plug for bent pins, green crusties, etc.  The cam position sensor is a moderately common failure item and it will often fail without throwing codes.  So when you're wondering the easiest thing to do is just throw one in and cross your fingers.  Even better pull the sensor and make sure it's not all gooped over first.

Good luck.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 02:11:52 PM »

If the problem is actually an ECM the ECM and the TSSM are electronically paired.  There is, however, a handlebar switch controlled process to mate an ECM and TSSM that don't know each other.  It's a pain in the ass but it can be done.  If your buddy does go that way just tell him to search eBay for a listing that have an ECM and a TSSM from the same bike. I've seen them listed that way with some regularity.

The Thundermax option suggested is also a consideration.  I'm not a huge fan but, if an ECM is the problem, it would get him going and would do so without to be concerned with TSSM pairing. 

As was also mentioned, don't discount the various other sensors, connectors, etc.  It's worthwhile to look inside the ECM and its plug for bent pins, green crusties, etc.  The cam position sensor is a moderately common failure item and it will often fail without throwing codes.  So when you're wondering the easiest thing to do is just throw one in and cross your fingers.  Even better pull the sensor and make sure it's not all gooped over first.

What is the TSSM? This dealer he is at was once a very good dealer but I am not so sure that they are any longer. Personnel turnover and a totally new philosophy took over about 10 years ago and it went down hill fast. I quit doing business there about 7 years ago, maybe it has improved since then but not likely.

Thanks for the info!

Good luck.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 05:19:46 PM »

What is the TSSM? This dealer he is at was once a very good dealer but I am not so sure that they are any longer. Personnel turnover and a totally new philosophy took over about 10 years ago and it went down hill fast. I quit doing business there about 7 years ago, maybe it has improved since then but not likely.

Thanks for the info!

TSSM is the Turn Signal and Security Module.  It's also the bank angle sensor.  But for purposes of discussion now it's the alarm module.  Using HD parts it electronically pairs with the ECM.  If it isn't happy the bike won't run as the alarm is triggered. 

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.