Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Harley moving jobs to Europe  (Read 12050 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Harley moving jobs to Europe
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »

Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

By Nathaniel Meyersohn June 25, 2018: 8:30 AM ET
Harley-Davidson is already taking a hit in the trade fight between President Trump and European allies.

The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

The EU is imposing tariffs on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.
For motorcycles, the EU is raising its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said. Harley is not raising prices for customers. The company said it will take a hit of $30 million to $45 million for the rest of this year.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Harley moving jobs to Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »

I don't think that will help sales.
Bill

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »

Well I guess they could give up 2k out of 7or8k profit :huepfenjump3:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »

Saw that article earlier this morning Simon.  Notice nowhere does it say the jobs/production are moving to Europe.  Only says that production will move to a place not impacted so badly by European tariffs.  Many labor markets are in countries that don't pay high EU tariffs.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »

Saw that article earlier this morning Simon.  Notice nowhere does it say the jobs/production are moving to Europe.  Only says that production will move to a place not impacted so badly by European tariffs.  Many labor markets are in countries that don't pay high EU tariffs.

Ok. Apparently that excludes production in America.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 04:14:46 PM »

Financially it's a smart move for the MoCo. By building overseas they can avoid the trade tariffs and make the company more money. And by employing foreign workers they may build a better relationship with foreign governments as they no doubt will have to pay fees, licensing, taxes and all that. If the MoCo is able to, they should move production to a poor 3rd world country where labor is really cheap, and there are few if any enforced restrictions on industrial waste. A Harley made in Pakistan and sent to Europe does not bear the same trade tariff as one made in the USA. They can pay pennies on the dollar for day labor, and dump waste without fear of environmental reprisals.

We might benefit too. With cheaper wages, no unions, and no EPA guidelines perhaps the cost of the bikes and parts might come down a bit. Or the profit could go to those at the top.

The only folks getting the short end of the deal are the American workers who may lose their jobs and the communities that depend on their income. I'm not saying it's right, but I guess that's what comes with it.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »

Financially it's a smart move for the MoCo. By building overseas they can avoid the trade tariffs and make the company more money. And by employing foreign workers they may build a better relationship with foreign governments as they no doubt will have to pay fees, licensing, taxes and all that. If the MoCo is able to, they should move production to a poor 3rd world country where labor is really cheap, and there are few if any enforced restrictions on industrial waste. A Harley made in Pakistan and sent to Europe does not bear the same trade tariff as one made in the USA. They can pay pennies on the dollar for day labor, and dump waste without fear of environmental reprisals.

We might benefit too. With cheaper wages, no unions, and no EPA guidelines perhaps the cost of the bikes and parts might come down a bit. Or the profit could go to those at the top.

The only folks getting the short end of the deal are the American workers who may lose their jobs and the communities that depend on their income. I'm not saying it's right, but I guess that's what comes with it.

Unemployment

The U.S. Unemployment Rate Is Now the Lowest It's Been This Century. ... The jobless rate fell to 3.9%, the lowest since December 2000, after six months at 4.1%.

Job Openings

On the last business day of April, the job openings level was little changed but reached a new series
high of 6.7 million. The series began in December 2000. The job openings rate was 4.3 percent in April
2018. The number of job openings was little changed for total private and for government. Job openings
increased in durable goods manufacturing (+33,000) and information (+26,000) but decreased in finance
and insurance (-84,000). The number of job openings was little changed in all four regions.

Personal Observations on Jobs

I was driving the backcountry roads of Missouri and Kansas my last trip. Lots of "Jobs Available" signs on gas stations, convenience stores, and small manufacturing plants. I'm sure any displaced workers can find a job if they really want one, maybe even two jobs since a lot of jobs these days are part-time to reduce the burden of benefits costs on employers.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »

Unemployment

The U.S. Unemployment Rate Is Now the Lowest It's Been This Century. ... The jobless rate fell to 3.9%, the lowest since December 2000, after six months at 4.1%.

Job Openings

On the last business day of April, the job openings level was little changed but reached a new series
high of 6.7 million. The series began in December 2000. The job openings rate was 4.3 percent in April
2018. The number of job openings was little changed for total private and for government. Job openings
increased in durable goods manufacturing (+33,000) and information (+26,000) but decreased in finance
and insurance (-84,000). The number of job openings was little changed in all four regions.

Personal Observations on Jobs

I was driving the backcountry roads of Missouri and Kansas my last trip. Lots of "Jobs Available" signs on gas stations, convenience stores, and small manufacturing plants. I'm sure any displaced workers can find a job if they really want one, maybe even two jobs since a lot of jobs these days are part-time to reduce the burden of benefits costs on employers.

That's good to know, I'm sure any workers who get displaced will be glad to hear that.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 05:11:29 PM »

The official unemployment numbers are very misleading, since they only count people who are actively seeking employment.  It's easy to figure out who is supposedly "actively seeking employment" when those people are collecting unemployment benefits.  Once the benefits run out, people don't have much incentive to keep reporting to the local unemployment office and they usually don't get counted.  The other part that government statistics don't reflect is how many people are under-employed.  That would include people who only found part time jobs, or people who had to settle for a job paying much less than they made before.  And then we have those who just don't want a job.  An excellent example is the 30 year old leech in the news recently because his parents went to court to have him evicted from their house.  Think about all those families you know who have adult children still living at home.  If you want to look at statistics, don't just look at the highly inaccurate unemployment rate, also look at the participation rate.

My point is that government statistics paint a much too rosy picture.  Reality is that the middle class in this country is shrinking, and that 75%-80% of the total wealth is now controlled by the top 10% of the population.  The bottom 50% basically has no wealth, as they live from paycheck to paycheck and have nothing or next to nothing saved.  All of this is in stark contrast to the economics of this nation back in the 1950's through 1970's, when anyone who wanted a job could easily get one and real wages and buying power were rising.  We can thank the policies that off-shored the good well paid manufacturing jobs and replaced them with low wage service jobs for much of this change.

Btw, I also see lots of signs advertising jobs.  None are for jobs that pay wages that would actually support a family.  The spoiled youngsters of today aren't getting jobs while in high school like most of us older folks did, so there are tons of fast food jobs and wait staff jobs available.  There are plenty of minimum wage laborer type jobs as well, but you have to compete with the illegals for those.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:16:26 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »

The bottom 50% basically has no wealth, as they live from paycheck to paycheck and have nothing or next to nothing saved.  All of this is in stark contrast to the economics of this nation back in the 1950's through 1970's, when anyone who wanted a job could easily get one and real wages and buying power were rising.  We can thank the policies that off-shored the good well paid manufacturing jobs and replaced them with low wage service jobs for much of this change.

Always a shameful thing to hear no doubt. But as for the MoCo, given the current situation on trade, they are doing the smart thing to keep the company making money. I heard somewhere that trade wars are good, so who knows, this may be the start of something terrific. The company will survive, regardless if they use workers here, or overseas. And who knows, maybe with Germans assembling the bikes and running engineering quality controls, perhaps there won't be as many catastrophic engine failures.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »

Well said!
The official unemployment numbers are very misleading, since they only count people who are actively seeking employment.  It's easy to figure out who is supposedly "actively seeking employment" when those people are collecting unemployment benefits.  Once the benefits run out, people don't have much incentive to keep reporting to the local unemployment office and they usually don't get counted.  The other part that government statistics don't reflect is how many people are under-employed.  That would include people who only found part time jobs, or people who had to settle for a job paying much less than they made before.  And then we have those who just don't want a job.  An excellent example is the 30 year old leech in the news recently because his parents went to court to have him evicted from their house.  Think about all those families you know who have adult children still living at home.  If you want to look at statistics, don't just look at the highly inaccurate unemployment rate, also look at the participation rate.

My point is that government statistics paint a much too rosy picture.  Reality is that the middle class in this country is shrinking, and that 75%-80% of the total wealth is now controlled by the top 10% of the population.  The bottom 50% basically has no wealth, as they live from paycheck to paycheck and have nothing or next to nothing saved.  All of this is in stark contrast to the economics of this nation back in the 1950's through 1970's, when anyone who wanted a job could easily get one and real wages and buying power were rising.  We can thank the policies that off-shored the good well paid manufacturing jobs and replaced them with low wage service jobs for much of this change.

Btw, I also see lots of signs advertising jobs.  None are for jobs that pay wages that would actually support a family.  The spoiled youngsters of today aren't getting jobs while in high school like most of us older folks did, so there are tons of fast food jobs and wait staff jobs available.  There are plenty of minimum wage laborer type jobs as well, but you have to compete with the illegals for those.

Jerry
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »

They have been wanting to move production overseas for a long time.  Gives them an easy out to do so without getting a lot of criticism.  Pretty soon the bikes will be label with made in XXX (fill-in the blank(not USA)) with some parts made in the USA.  Also gives them in increase in profit that the shareholders and management want (bigger bonuses).

Sad to see the way greed has shaped the world.  Like the Good Book says, "the love of money is the root of all evil."

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »

They have been wanting to move production overseas for a long time.  Gives them an easy out to do so without getting a lot of criticism.  Pretty soon the bikes will be label with made in XXX (fill-in the blank(not USA)) with some parts made in the USA.  Also gives them in increase in profit that the shareholders and management want (bigger bonuses).

Sad to see the way greed has shaped the world.  Like the Good Book says, "the love of money is the root of all evil."

:oops: :nixweiss:

Well put. Like I said, it's a good move for the MoCo. It is in essence, capitalism at it's finest. And like the previous poster said, if any workers get laid off, there is a plethora of minimum wage, no benefits jobs for them to choose from.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »

Let’s not forget an all together dynamic. All those extraordinarily highly paid UAW union members aren’t going to run out to get those one of those minimum wage jobs until they’re kids are starving because of their pride meanwhile, the MOCO can reset wages in Europe at a much lower rate. It’s quite a win win situation.

It might be a great time to buy some stock.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:59:06 PM by King Glide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.