Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: "Importing" Cigars  (Read 1681 times)

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
"Importing" Cigars
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »

OK - there has to be a few cigar guys in this crowd -  we are traveling to Jamaica in a few weeks and was wondering if its possible to buy some Cuban cigars there and bring them back as gifts for friends who smoke?? 

How strict are they in customs?  Could they even tell where the cigars where made??

Thanks!
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

Sean M Cary

Re: "Importing" Cigars
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »

OK - there has to be a few cigar guys in this crowd -  we are traveling to Jamaica in a few weeks and was wondering if its possible to buy some Cuban cigars there and bring them back as gifts for friends who smoke?? 

How strict are they in customs?  Could they even tell where the cigars where made??

Thanks!

check the ATF page, the rules changed in '05 - not worth it...  Even possessing them now is illegal.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »

I did bring back a single hand of cigars (pack of 5) from down south a couple of years ago,  the customs guy actually picked them up from my briefcase (I was the lucky one who got stopped), looked and set them down in the pile of "cleared" stuff.  I got lucky,  but I don't know how close they look these days.  I wouldn't take the chance.......

Beags.
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »

Not worth the risk anymore. You could remove the bands and say they aren't Cuban if they ask but they are still likely to confiscate them. Had a friend who got put through the mill for 3 hours when he tried to bring some back. Just enjoy several while you are out of the country.

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »

Don't forget for those traveling north that Cuban cigars are available here in Canada as well.  Can't smoke anywhere but you can buy them  :nixweiss:

For example, here is a list of Cuban cigars available at a store here in town......
 http://www.beanstreamcarts.com/stores/oldmorristobacconist/group.asp?GroupID=2523&c=0&ust=NgjEf0V8R6IBiGMrGkRFqISNRuDTc%2DeVwUpH1ZbvXKXklzdKPJxIzYfVs2o8ZoercTe%2DPgA
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:09:51 AM by BT »
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 06:01:23 AM »

Here's a little thing I do when faced with this dilemma. Cuban shmuban. Cubans offer nothing more than any other good quality cigar. It's just that they are restricted that makes them attractive. Like Coors east of the Mississippi  years ago. I won't drink a Coors if you paid me.
So, when traveling abroad, I might have a cuban or 2 but it will not replace my Dominicans. My Fav is a CAO Crillollo. best all around smoke. I can get Cuban Cohibas here on the black market for 250.00 a box, but why.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:27:46 AM »

so whats the official charge in the us on possession of cuban cigars?

got to burn tje evidence.  :drink:...

prolly ok to posses counterfeits from china.

nevermind

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:32:48 AM »

Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515, (Revised September 30, 2004) are administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations can go as high as $1 million for corporations, and $250,000 for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison. In addition, civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation can be imposed by OFAC.
The Forbidden Fruit

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:35:31 AM »

Here are some examples:

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $5,425.50 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between November 2004 and May 2006, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $1,014 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between December 2003 and April 2006, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntary disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $1,000 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between January 2005 and December 2005, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $830 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between January 2005 and June 2006, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $562.50 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between December 2004 and March 2005, on three occasions, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:07:13 AM by Capo »

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:55:24 AM »

Look out for fakes in Jamaica, better off smoking the ganja there.

When you get back check your retailer look for Greycliff Gran Cru....there is something about them if you love a cubano puro, if you have been lucky and got through a real Cuban that did not run sideways or refused to draw, the Gran cru will deliver but will smoke perfectly. I find Cuban cigars too mild for me but a good one has a tingle that can't be hard to beat, the Cru does.

Most of the best smokes being produced now are from Nicaragua and Honduras, rollers are there are from Cuba, growers and the blend masters.  Look for a Jesus Fuegos, the creator of the the rocky vintage blend, amazing is all I can say.  Have a nice trip, I have not been acosted for a box, unlabled coming back from the "Bahamas".

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »

Here are some examples:

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $5,425.50 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between November 2004 and May 2006, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $1,014 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between December 2003 and April 2006, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntary disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $1,000 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between January 2005 and December 2005, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $830 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between January 2005 and June 2006, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban-origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.

One individual has agreed to a settlement totaling $562.50 for allegedly dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national had an interest: Between December 2004 and March 2005, on three occasions, the individual allegedly purchased Cuban origin cigars offered for sale on the Internet. The individual did not voluntarily disclose this matter to OFAC.

Holy Chit
You get in more hooch for smoking a Cuban cigar than alot of those wallstreet p@#kerheads will get for fleecing the american people :confused5:
Rob

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 02:37:43 PM »

so whats the official charge in the us on possession of cuban cigars?

got to burn tje evidence.  :drink:...

prolly ok to posses counterfeits from china.

nevermind

TN

Nothing, selling them for a profit is not a good idea, especially if you have a tobacco licence, but having them in your possession is not a crime. Bringing them into the country is also a no-no. Customs will sieze the package, send you a letter and you forfeit the cigars. If you chose to fight customs, you are looking @ Federal time if you lose. They are happy to have gotten the gars. I even considered becoming a customs agent for this very reason.  ;D Flying back into the US with them on you, they will take em in most cases. Removing the bands and box that says "Cuba' on it would most likely get you a pass.

Diplomats coming back from cuba and cuban nationals (like their soccer team etc.) are allowed to bring up to 50 cigars with them when entering the U.S. for their own personal use.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »

Diplomats coming back from cuba and cuban nationals (like their soccer team etc.) are allowed to bring up to 50 cigars with them when entering the U.S. for their own personal use.

pretty sure that changed in 05...might want to check before you attempt it.  I read it back then, it was no possession, consumption - nada.  Maybe it changed back, but never saw that.

Cuban's aren't even that good to start with - a Padron or a Fuente stick for stick other then the exceptional one from time to time will beat a Cuban down anyway.  More hype then fact.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »

We have an accord, cuban more hype than substance...but a good trinidad fundadore...mmmm

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »

check the ATF page, the rules changed in '05 - not worth it...  Even possessing them now is illegal.

stupid ATF.
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »

Thanks!

Mi amigo Monty......don't pay attention to those stupid rules.....I have brought cuban cigars from El Salvador and Colombia and not problem.......ask Miker & RobMay......... ;D

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »

They are not nor cannot be enforced.
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »

Mi amigo Monty......don't pay attention to those stupid rules.....I have brought cuban cigars from El Salvador and Colombia and not problem.......ask Miker & RobMay......... ;D

Trinidad Fundadores...Trinidad Fundadores...Trinidad Fundadores...Trinidad Fundadores...Trinidad Fundadores...

:D :D ;) :-*
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.