Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2  (Read 2030 times)

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

I have just finished putting a 2009 Crossbones front end onto my 2008 FXSTSSE2.

My CVO front end was bent , and was an $8,300 "dealer repair" job here in Australia.

From a 10MPH bingle with no damage to tank of front fender ?

I found a 2011 Softail telescopic front end "new bike take-off". All the parts required but never made the move , "too hard basket..."

So I started looking for a used Crossbones front end , lots sold in Australia , not so the FXSTSSE2 CVO Springer , they were always a rare beast.

A used Crossbones front turns up after waiting 4 months+ where a guy was building ( a rather nice !) Custom bike with black upside down forks yada yada..

Not quite a 100% bolt on. I used the OEM CVO front fender and Mag wheel. Had to make spacers for the Crossbones/CVO Springer combo axle/fender mounting system.

I printed off all the exploded diagrams for Crossbones and 2008 CVO Springer with part numbers from Ronnie's HD , how useful were they. Probably 50%+ of the part numbers were "matching" between the 2008 CVO Springer and the Crossbones , quite reassuring. Diagrams showed me which parts would interchange.

Forks are now all Gloss Black of course , not Black Diamond rigid fork with Chrome Springer fork , but I reused as much of the CVO Chrome hardware as I could.

Also had to use the Crossbones top tree , quite a different shape. Bike now has "more rake" than a stock CVO Springer , looks quite good. First ride tomorrow and we'll see how I fared rebuilding the Springer spring setups , here's hoping for a good outcome.

So in short it can be done ! Just a bit labour intensive is all !

No illegitimi carborundum

ultrarider123

Re: Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

Let me be the first to congratulate and supply the familiar phrase......(before and after....please)...

:worthless:

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Crossbones front end onto 2008 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 06:26:06 PM »

Let me be the first to congratulate and supply the familiar phrase......(before and after....please)...

:worthless:
X2

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 24 queries.