Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HD lithium battery  (Read 2201 times)

navyret2001

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

HD lithium battery
« on: June 22, 2019, 04:52:44 PM »

Just installed, dealer, HD lithium ion battery in my 2016 CVO limited about a week ago, today stopped by stealership to NOW be told the battery might possibly fail. Was told that a rep from the battery manufacturer is saying battery was not designed to stand up to the heat and vibration of a big Harley???!!! It's original design was for golf carts and such. Was further explained that some wire that runs from the test light on top of battery will/could possibly short making the battery "dead" and impossible to jump start. I have not seen or heard of any issues so far and that the issue is a random failure so Harley Is not going to fess up or go public....yet. Any of you good folks heard or experienced anything

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: HD lithium battery
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 05:39:12 PM »

Hadn't heard/read anything about this problem... interesting. :nixweiss:

So.... did they take the battery back and provide you with a new (non lithium) battery and refund any $$ difference in price?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:29:31 AM »

I was considering buying one of those.  I couldn't justify the price in my head, so I went for a standard battery. I hope they make it right for you.    Stuart.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »

Sadly, these days there are plenty of people who lack scruples and unfortunately many of them sell stuff of poor or worse quality as well as stuff that is not suited for the claimed purpose.  The lithium ion battery market is littered with all sorts of products that are misrepresented, counterfeit, unsafe, you name it.  I find it kind of enlightening that good old H-D was so eager to jump into the very high price battery market (as opposed to their regular overpriced batteries) that they jumped onto a product that isn't even designed to be used in a motorcycle. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.  Are these OK for a motorcycle???    That and the cost made me go with a standard battery.     Stuart   :nixweiss:

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 11:17:30 AM »

I really think this whole subject needs a little more investigation. "A rep from the battery manufacturer said" , well who was this guy and what company did he represent? Why was he in this particular Harley store? This may be true but it also may not.
Sounds a little generic like one of those "A buddy knows a guy who heard a.... stories"  Maybe not but so far it, to me, it has no real meaning. And I have no intention of ever buying one of those batteries for my bike, just hate to see a story get out of hand like "Fake News"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »

I really think this whole subject needs a little more investigation. "A rep from the battery manufacturer said" , well who was this guy and what company did he represent? Why was he in this particular Harley store? This may be true but it also may not.
Sounds a little generic like one of those "A buddy knows a guy who heard a.... stories"  Maybe not but so far it, to me, it has no real meaning. And I have no intention of ever buying one of those batteries for my bike, just hate to see a story get out of hand like "Fake News"

x2.  Well said.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

navyret2001

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »

Fired00d no sir not yet guess they are waiting and also I did not request a replacement or refund...yet. CVOdon, sir I'm not going to take the time to re-tale a "story" or puke up "fake news" just to have something to post. I don't post much in the first place but have seen this site actually cares what happens with each other's Harley and most offer good advise and sources to fix issues. The rep in question was from the supplier/manufacturer and spoke directly to the owner who relayed the conversation to me... the owner was equally concerned. With that said you can chose to believe what you want and responded in kind, that is your right, but I won't play. To the rest of you ride safe and continue to help and take care of each other.

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 09:57:28 AM »

I put one in my 15 and have had no problems at all. In fact, it starts better without that little hesitation.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »

FWIW..... just did a search for "Harley Lithium Ion Battery Issue" and could not find anything not related to selling the batteries or the standard reviews.  Does not mean it is not out there though.

I need a battery for one of my bikes now but I also believe these are too expensive.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »

I am very sceptical of these batteries. You are paying a premuim for the HD branding when for the same price or close to it you can get one from other manufactures in either the 600 or 700+ amp range.

Personally if, and that is a huge "if" I was going to spend that much green on a battery it would be from one of the companies whos bread and butter is making these types of batteries. Not just to get one because it comes in black and orange

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »

A couple of things that I learned about lithium ion batteries.
-The battery will drain down faster than the AMG type.  Your alarm could drain the battery in 5-10 day.  Battery tender is required or you must remove all parasite drain (if parasite drain is eliminated, the battery will keep its charge for over a year) while storing.
-If the lithium battery is allowed to drain to low....it might not take a charge again. This happened to me and the lithium approved battery tender would not bring it back. Luckily, my old 10 amp charger did wake it up. Just a couple 5 sec hits with the charger then the battery would take the charge from the tender.
-NOCO who makes the harley’s booster/jump starter says that their model is not to be used on lithium battery. I have asked Harley if their jump starter could be used on their lithium battery and the reply I got was “I see no reason why not.”
-When I was in colorado last month, it got down in the 30s and it took few tries to start the bike. Each time I tried the battery got stronger.  Just turning on the ignition does not have enough amp draw to warm the battery up.

I’ve had mine for a year and would have probably purchased the harley brand if it was available. I ended with WPS Western Power Sports Featherweight.

Puts and takes on both types....do your research with a battery manufacturer. Lithium battery are to new to rely on HD.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:01:52 PM by Cat Eye »

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 09:29:29 AM »

Taking into account what CAT EYE wrote, even if priced the same I would not get one, but that is just me.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »

Taking into account what CAT EYE wrote, even if priced the same I would not get one, but that is just me.

X2. It seems that the cons out weigh the pros.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 04:12:16 PM »

So apparently the OP knows who the supplier/manufacturer is? Why not share that with us? That way we could do further research into why this company is manufacturing/packaging and selling to a company as large as HD something they think doesn't work? A situation like this could ruin the battery company if this is true. Because if a problem does exist, HD will not be the one taking the fall. It would be this ghost battery manufacturing company.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 25 queries.