Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone tryed Progressive 940's + Drop in Fork Lowering System?  (Read 2528 times)

5.56mm

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 BLK #919

Looking for lowering my FLHTCUSE5.  Anyone tryed those?

5.56mm

• Full CVO Member

Re: Anyone tryed Progressive 940's + Drop in Fork Lowering System?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »

And those?

dgsmith

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »

I would like to know also except I would like the lowering cartrige shock for the front and 940's on the rear.

fast96

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Mako Shark
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »

I put the cartridges in they are extremely good and i installed the 940s in last week and put 300 miles on them and no more tryin to throw me off the bike on big bumps and 2 up riding way smoother over the bumps you can however feel the road alot more and i like that! Chris :coolblue:
Any day Racin or Ridin is better than workin!

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »

I put the cartridges in they are extremely good and i installed the 940s in last week and put 300 miles on them and no more tryin to throw me off the bike on big bumps and 2 up riding way smoother over the bumps you can however feel the road alot more and i like that! Chris :coolblue:

did you drop the progressive monotubes in the fork. If so, did you go with the standard height 2500 or the -1 2501 model  I have the 2500 ready to be installed on my 2009 cvo road glide.  Just looking for post purchase reinforcement. Happy that your happy with the mods
thanks
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

5.56mm

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:07:38 PM »

Thanks fast96 for the feedback!   :2vrolijk_21:

fast96

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Mako Shark
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »

I went with the 2 inch drop and like it it rides a little more firm but you can realy get into corners harder with alot more confidence and i like the ride of the 940s they seem to be again a little firm but i realy like being able to feel the road better! Chris :coolblue:
Any day Racin or Ridin is better than workin!

jonandflo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »

Don't drop the two inch lower in "drop in " set into your CVO forks without talking to Progressive. These were designed for the standard touring suspension bikes, but the CVO bikes come with the HD 1" lowering kit installed which includes a 1" drop return spring in the lower damper. A better solution is the progressive kit for two inch lowering that includes the new lower cartridge. If you do go ahead with the drop in kit on a CVO you will need to add about 1.25 to 1.5" of PVC spacer above the compression spring to prevent the forks from bottoming out. There are no instructions included with the "drop in" kits that address the use of these in CVO bikes! I learned the hard way!

5.56mm

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »

I learned the hard way!

What happened exactly?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »

First, I wouldn't consider lowering the front end two inches, for both practicality and safety reasons.  But if for some crazy reason I decided I wanted to give up a lot of ground clearance and scrape a lot of parts, I'd at least lower the rear the same amount as the front so I wouldn't totally screw up the geometry (rake and trail).

Second, not all CVO's come with lowered suspensions.  For instance, the Ultra's have the standard length shocks and forks.  But the comment about checking first is a good one.  Throwing the wrong components in the legs and buttoning everything back up is definitely not a great idea.  And don't automatically assume the guy selling you the parts knows what you have, I've heard several mention totally incorrect information they received from sales folks at the various suspension companies and retailers, and even totally bogus information from (gasp!) the guy at the Harley shop. 

When the SEEG's came out, Harley made it very clear that both the front and rear had been lowered 1" with parts from the accessory catalog.  Since that time, they have been less and less clear about the suspensions on the CVO's, and before I made a change that could cause a high speed stability issue, I would want to be very certain what I was starting out with and the compatibility of the proposed change. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »

I just installed the monotubes 1” lower (3 spacers, no lower spring).  Haven’t put any miles on them yet, but they look like they would be 100% better.  Had the 940s 12” on for a few hundred miles and they feel much better than the stock air 13”.  Not as stiff as some people think and much better at smoothing out big bumps. 

After only 6K miles the stock fork oil looked like molasses.  I wish the kit told you to replace the bottom 6mm fork bolt and copper seal washer.  I also had a fork stick in the triple tree and had to let it soak with Kroil Oil overnight before I tapped it loose with a ½” extension. Thanks to a CVO member for the tip.  Hope this helps. 
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.