Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3000 mile ride  (Read 1125 times)

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
3000 mile ride
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:22:19 PM »

Me and two buddies went on a short jaunt the weekend after memorial day this year. We left Thursday evening after we got off work. Rode about 250 miles. Got up Friday and road thru NM mountains--Red River N.M, Taos, Chama, thru Pagosa Spings to Durango. Saturday up Hwy 550 thru Ouray, Ridgeway, ate lunch in Telluride, then on to Moab and had time to explore Arches Nat'l Park and surrounding area before going on nice nite ride. Sunday was the hardest day. Road north out of Moab at 8:00 a.m., headed west, then south and ended un going thru Bryce, Zion Nat'l parks, over Dam at Lake Powell. (I think the signs said we were 70 miles from Las Vegas and 50 miles from north rim of Grand Canyon.) We had reservations for Sun. nite in Chama N.M. Had to haul a$$ across norther AZ. ,wide open. Got into Farmington N.M.around 10:30 and ate at Sonic. Only 90-100 miles to Chama! Only problem it was very dark thru winding mountain roads w/ giant elk and mule deer all over the road. Had to ride 15-20 mph. Plus it was freezing cold. Had to stop and put FXRG gear on because teeth were chattering. Pulled into Chama at 4:00 a.m. (20 hours total-counting stops- and 750+ miles later out of Moab) Got up Monday morning and left at 8:00 a.m. Had to detour because a N.M state trooper had hit a cow (dont know if it was a cow elk or a cow cow) the nite before and he was ejected from his patrol car (not wearing his seat belt) and two other cars ran over him. He was killed. So road was shut down for investigation. After detour, ate lunch in Santa Fe and then own to Tucumcari and back home 16 hours and 650+ miles later. Road about 3000 miles total. Oh, by the way. we had to stop and rest for 30 minutes just 15 miles from home (started seeing things that weren't really there!) Great trip and lots of fun. Next year I think we will take an extra day. You reach 50 and you dont seem as young as you once did. Yeah, we had to work the next day too.
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 3000 mile ride
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »

Me and two buddies went on a short jaunt the weekend after memorial day this year.....
Wow!! :o Thanks for the warning I know to pack the "Monkey Butt Powder" if you ever ask me if I want to go on a long ride. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] You sound like the perfect riding partner for my husband and I to ride with.  We often ride 400-600 miles just goin - that a way, and people that ride with us bail over and over.  They get to 150 and start looking for a room.  Oh well, sounds like you had a fantastic time.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 11:22:29 PM »

They get to 150 and start looking for a room.  

Geez, it takes that long just to get settled in the seat for the day....  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] .

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 07:12:31 AM »

or start thinkin about a breakfast stop
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.