Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: White Stuff In Oil?  (Read 3047 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
White Stuff In Oil?
« on: January 01, 2005, 11:40:54 PM »

I changed the oil today and noticed a thick white substance in and around the oil fill tube. [smiley=confused.gif] Attached is a couple of pics. Any ideas what this is??? I though maybe a by-product of the Syn3 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
Re: White Stuff In Oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 11:41:29 PM »

And Another Pic.

Thanks [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

mfgreen

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 11:55:56 PM »

Looks like good ole h20.   condensation is what you have... miscible in any oil......change oil more often is one solution.  Have that stuff analysed in a lab is another.
Mike

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 01:01:35 AM »

Yuck!  I've heard 'em talk about this on other boards but have never seen it personally.  From what I understand MFG is right: condensation.  How far have you ridden the bike the last few times?  Far enough to get it good and hot?  If so, maybe the thermostat in the oil cooler is stuck open and not allowing the oil to get to full operating temp during your rides.  How did the oil look in the drainpan?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 01:23:42 AM »

Forgot to add that this is the bikes 1st oil change. It has just under 1000 miles.

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 09:51:14 AM »

A possibility, without asking where you park the bike, is that your bike is forming condensation by being parked in the sun and being allowed to cool thus forming a little condensation each day.  You may just have to ride more to keep this from happening or park in a completely shaded area.  I know it is going to be terrible having to ride all of the time, such is life.
Mike

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 11:42:39 AM »

Yuck!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 11:45:30 AM »

A possibility, without asking where you park the bike, is that your bike is forming condensation by being parked in the sun and being allowed to cool thus forming a little condensation each day.

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 11:49:43 AM »

The last few times have been pretty short, about 5 minutes or so. Its been raining here a lot the last few weeks. The oil in the pan was not milky at all, it looked normal, not very dirty at all.

That sounds about right.  Generally, with an air-cooled motor, you will not see any evidence of condensation in the pan.  Mostly this Milky stuff will appear in higher surfaces where the condensation forms.  Clean it out and change the oil and filter.  You are good to go.  FYI if you do not clean it, oxides will form and cause degradation to the metal.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 12:05:42 PM »

The parked is parked in the garage most all of the time. The stuff seems to be most heavily consentrated in and around the filler tube where the vent line from the cases enters.

I can't wait to get out more, just waiting for some dryer roads!!!

Believe it or not, it's kind of typical in this area.  It's condensation if it's only in the throat and not in the body of oil itself.  This little bit you get should evaporate if you're riding fifteen or twenty minutes at a time.  Even letting your bike sit and idle in the garage until the motor is very warm (hot) then go for your ride will help a lot, too.  I first noticed this phenomonon four or five bikes ago, on a shovel head that I had and did my research back then to learn about it.  Over the years, I've read several articles about it, too.  Nothing to worry about as long as it is evaporating during your rides.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 01:05:18 AM »

Thanks for all the info. I'll clean the spout out and be sure to ride more. Once again this site has proven to be a great source of info!!!

oddfirejeep

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 08:50:55 PM »

Howdy,

I have an 04 FLHTCSE, and a 04 Buell XB9S. The first time I changed oil on the Buell I had a very similar look in the primary case. I also agree with eveyone else that it is codensation in the system and it will work out with regular maintenance. One other thought was some possibility of assembly lube being present for the first oil change? I would not worry if you ride the bike and change the oil regular I'll bet it is gone on the next change..            

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 10:09:27 PM »

I'll bet it is gone on the next change..

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 08:22:08 AM »

hd-dude next time you go for a ride when you get home and park the bike pull the oil filler cap off and let it vent that will get rid of the condensation problem in the filler neck(the moisture is just tring to get out).  I put a tag on the throttle to remind me to close it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 09:57:32 AM »

hd-dude next time you go for a ride when you get home and park the bike pull the oil filler cap off and let it vent that will get rid of the condensation problem in the filler neck(the moisture is just tring to get out).

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 03:01:38 PM »

hd-dude next time you go for a ride when you get home and park the bike pull the oil filler cap off and let it vent that will get rid of the condensation problem in the filler neck(the moisture is just tring to get out).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Riddin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »

This problem showed up on my FXDWG3 around 12K miles.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 10:34:07 PM by Ridden »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 08:33:25 AM »

JC what I was suggesting is that when he gets home and the motor is hot to remove the filler plug and let the motor/oil bag vent the trapped moisture and when it cools reinstall the plug.  I've heard alot of FX people talk about water in the tranny all of them think its the vent as well.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 09:26:47 AM »

JC what I was suggesting is that when he gets home and the motor is hot to remove the filler plug and let the motor/oil bag vent the trapped moisture and when it cools reinstall the plug.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:32:07 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.