Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble  (Read 14457 times)

boiler

• FLHRSEI.ORG
High Speed Wobble
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »

Has anyone experianced (or know of someone who has ) a high speed weave aka high speed wobble aka tank slapper with their bike? Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
Re: High Speed Wobble
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 06:54:03 PM »

Yes...tire pressures first...then make sure the bike is aligned....(see shop manual) then proper neck bearing adjustment .."fall away" (see shop manual).  When you are sure all is well..invest in either a True-Trac  or Ridestr8 . Do a search here.  Both are devices that keep the rear tire from steering the bike since our baggers are not anchored for side to side deflection in the rear.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:18:20 PM »

This one has been around before and the opinions were somewhat varied - one that I kinda felt had some credence was (even it sounds crazy and totally contrary to nature) to relax your grip on the bars and allow the wobble to decline naturally rather than trying to "tough it out" and end up having the bike spit you off.

There's various stories about class actions and the Highway Patrol guy who was killed etc etc but ultimately the vast majority of SEEG riders do not encounter this phenomenon so it's always going to be difficult to pinpoint a cause and therefore a cure.

One guy I personally spoke to (and respect) had experienced a total loss of control with an '05 SEEG
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 09:31:07 PM »

.................................................So what's the answer?

I guess it's got to be a mix of tyres, pressures, loading, suspension settings, screen height, experience of rider, road surface, weather/wind conditions, - you name it - it can affect how the bike responds to the inputs.

In my experience with FLH series Harleys - the heavier loaded they are the better they handle.

I ride 2 up with luggage and tow a trailer - never had a problem (ok ok - touch wood - I know)

I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer to a problem that does not manifest itself in every bike or is even consistently repeatable

I'm sure there will be others who have differing views however - Ride str8 and the other gizmo kinda depend on the uncertainty (and the discussion it provokes on sites like this and HTT) to generate sales - so isn't it going to be in their interest to foster this kind of doubt in people's minds?

There - I don't think I've answered the question - but I feel better.

Cheers

Dave
Dave,

I agree, there doesn't seem to be any one particular fix that anyone has been able to identify and verify.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »

[highlight]In the meantime I'll stick to 10 over the limit for normal riding, and limit my triple digit blasts to straight line riding, hopefully out of sight of the local constables. [/highlight]

Sage advice indeed.... and ya might just live long enough to get another SE  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:54:58 PM by SEULTRA »

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 11:04:35 PM »

This has been a constant problem with my 04 SEEG and is getting worse.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 01:13:32 AM »

You can use the search feature.......I think there's probably two or three threads on this subject. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 08:57:20 AM »

Check your motor mounts,  especially the front one.

_Beagle [smiley=cherry.gif]
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »

I second the mount suggestion.  Also, has anyone tried a steering damper on one of these things?  It's a pretty common item on sport bikes with steep fork angles.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 12:00:07 PM »

I second the mount suggestion.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 05:01:27 PM »

I second the mount suggestion.
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »

ive always felt more of a bounce then bounce wobble-up /down wobble wobble. i stiffened the shocks way up and this seems to stop the initial onset of that first bounce or dip that starts all that!

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »

My bike has had a weave on the high speed sweepers since it was new. I tightened the neck bearings, that helped some. I added a ride str8, that helped. Last week I was standing beside my bike when I started it and the engine seemed to jump quite a bit. I took it in and the front motor mount was broken. I had the new one put in and I can't believe how bad it shakes the bike at idle. I talked to a friend of mine who had the same problem on his ultra, and he noticed when his motor mount was replaced his bike shook a lot more at idle.
  Now I'm wondering if that front motor mount has been weak since the bike was new and broken for who knows how long, (the bike has 21000 mi).
  I know that the engine is held in alignment by the heim joints but I wonder if that weak/broken front mount contributed to my weave problems?
  I know that the new mount is a new design, maybe it's a lot stiffer than the old design. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
MObe

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 10:07:38 PM »

Found this old post on a JP Cycles rider forum, another vote for front end geometry being the root cause:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 10:31:51 PM »

Found this old post on a JP Cycles rider forum, another vote for front end geometry being the root cause:

2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.