Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Changes... Anything to make easier?  (Read 4183 times)

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
Oil Changes... Anything to make easier?
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:12:19 AM »

I was just wondering if anybody has come up with any tricks to make it easier to change the oil on these bikes?  We are having a hard time getting the oil filter off.  It is in a really bad spot with the shifter and wires hanging down in front of it.  Also the manual says the bike will take 3.3 litres of oil, but after changing the oil 2x now the bike has only taken 2.5 litres each time?  This isn't a very good picture, but the oil filter is hiding behind the shifter and just above the chin spoiler.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks   ;D

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
Re: Oil Changes... Anything to make easier?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:23:57 AM »

I use a wrench that I got from eglidegoodies.com.  It works good for my SE Road King.  When you fill up the oil after your oil change are you checking it after starting the bike up to fill the filter?  Also are you checking it warm and leaning on the kick stand?  My Road King always takes right at 4 quarts of oil when I change it.  Also there are trays that slide under the filter to make the oil run past the bike when changing oil.  I use one but always manage to make a small mess anyway.  I have also tried putting a small plastic grocery bag over the filter to catch the oil, end result is I cannot change the oil without making at least a little mess to clean up.  Maybe it's just me.  Brake cleaner works good to remove the mess.  Every two oil changes I take the cover off of my oil Cooler to remove the debris that collects in there partly from the oil mess that I let run there.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

fxdsegrl

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE - Sold :(
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:40:41 AM »

Thank you, there are lots of goodies to look at on that website!  I think the oil change helper will be useful too.  Yes, we are checking the bike warm and on the kickstand.  We called our dealer and they said they always just put in 2 litres and then take the bike out for a bit, then top it up.  The dealer said that the manuals are quite often not accurate?

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »

I push the shifter linkage back with one hand and remove the oil filter with the other.  I have had numerous HD's and always seem to make a small mess during oil changes.  By moving the linkage out of your way it will shift the tranny so don't forget to put it back in neutral before starting it.

I recently did my 1,000 mile and the bike took exactly 3 quarts of oil.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »

Seems a K&N oil filter would work nicely on these machines.  That way you could come in from the front with an open/box end combination wrench to break torque on the filter.  I find preventing the oil mess to be simple.  I slide a Walmart bag under the filter and drape it over the voltage regulator and oil cooler.  Then I slide a 1 gallon freezer bag under the filter, break torque on the filter, spin it off and allow it to drop into the freezer bag along with a majority of the oil, and lift the whole mess away from the bike.  Any residual mess goes onto the Walmart bag.  Then I stuff a shop rag into the oil filter mount, remove the Walmart bag, prep the new filter, remove the rag, and spin the new filter in place.  No mess, but you gotta be careful.  Hope this helps.

BigMo

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 04:34:38 AM »

:-\  Glad I aint the only one. Except when I changed mine the first time, I added just shy of 3qts. after reading the spec. sheet in the manual. Started it ran for a minute or so, then off the lift, and on the stand. Hells bells, I was WAY over full. I had to take my vacuum pump and catch can I use on brake systems and suck it out for quite a while till I got it back on the high side cold on the stick. Sucks to be pulling out high dollar syn. AMSOIL to get it back to normal. I guess the motor sump traps alot more than we thought. Just my whining........

BigMo

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

Here you go....One of the more versital filter wrenchs I have ever used.  Use these to get your existing filter off and then switch to the K&N filter :2vrolijk_21:

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »

To HML, Thanks for the tip on catching the spill removing the oil filter. Can't believe I didn't think of that. I use about a roll of paper towels ever time I change mine. I'll try your way next time. Thanks, KennyC

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.