Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New To Me... New Truck  (Read 1653 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
New To Me... New Truck
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »

Well I've been looking a LOT lately for a toy hauler truck.  Can't afford new, but wanted to have something on the good side to retire with and then ultimately use to pull a 38' to 42' toy hauler.

I found this '12 RAM 3500 diesel with 158k miles on it.  Mostly highway miles as it belonged to a construction company's traveling foreman.  It needs a little TLC interior wise though.  I believe he was at road construction sites and had all the windows down most of the time and the interior is saturated with this tan colored dust, almost the consistency of talcum powder. 

I've cleaned up the back seat and it cleaned up very nicely.  The front seat cushions are in not so good shape.  The passenger's side looks like it had a spill on it and has hardened and the perforations are cracking between the holes.  The driver's seat cushion is just worn quite badly.  But these are just cosmetic items and can be replaced quite easily.

With 158k I wanted a bit more insurance that I had something that would last for my needs.  I bought through a Chrysler dealership so I was able to purchase a Powertrain Plus Protection Plan.  The coverage is basically inside of wheel to wheel front to rear.  I got a 3/year 36k mile plan with a $100/deductible.  Not cheap, but gives me piece of mind and that's worth it for the future.  It's also transferable if I sell to upgrade later.

It's a Laramie with most all the bells and whistles available for '12.  Also '12 is the last year for the NON-DEF trucks for RAM.  It's still all stock.  The owner had a check engine light on in ND and the dealer there did not do him a great troubleshooting job.  They just threw parts at it.  They replaced the emission's wiring harness along with lots of other items until they found the catalytic converter was the culprit.  They replace that and the problem was gone.  I guess converters are VERY expensive, maybe close to several thousand... ?  So it has a new converter along with the associated wiring harness etc.  Newer Bridgestone tires with aluminum factory wheels.  It has the flip up tow mirrors that go from the pictured horizontal to an out and vertical layout.  Should be good for towing I guess.

It runs great.  I drove it home yesterday afternoon and for about 150 miles in town and freeway at around 75 mph, I averaged 16.2 mpg.  I guess that's pretty good.  It has 3.73 rear gears and it also has the exhaust brake option.  No hitch now.

With the long bed, as I understand it, I will NOT need to have a sliding fifth wheel hitch, correct?  It has an aluminum slatted roll up tonneau cover.

The GVWR is 12,300#.  Not like the new dually models at 14,000#, but should do okay for my needs.  I read a review of the '12 and said that it can tow around 23k#.  Does that sound about right?

Here it is.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ultrarider123

Re: New To Me... New Truck
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »

Very nice acquisition, Dan.  Great color combo and, from the outside, it appears to be in very good shape.  No DEF is a positive and, from your description, the inside is cleanable so ya done good... :2vrolijk_21:

It's the platinum in the catalytic converter that makes them so expensive and I didn't know they put them on diesels?  My 1998 2500 Cummins didn't have one so musta been after that when they began installing.

The warranty is a good idea...hope the truck gives you lots of good, trouble free miles... ;D

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »

Nice but I don't see Ford on it....LOL
Bill

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »

Nice but I don't see Ford on it....LOL
:nixweiss:

The wife and I drove to Bowling Green KY last weekend to test drive a couple '17 Ford F350's. One SRW and the other a DRW one ton.

They were both branded title trucks, fresh water flood trucks. The SRW crew cab was white with 79k miles Lariat. It had tons of options. It was stock and was said to have had water on the floors, no higher. It drove good and the wasn't $36,500 for it.

The DRW is dark blue metallic and has 27k and is also a Lariat. It had leather, but didn't even come with heated seats. Aftermarket heated pads had been installed. This one was a full submersion. It was a full delete with tuner and it ran VERY GOOD. It has 4.10 gears. They want $39k for it.

Both have been gone through with full interior removals and drying out. If anyone is interested I can share info.

If the DRW had been optioned like the SRW white truck, I would probably be driving it right now.

But a non branded title is worth more to me right now.

I ordered new seat cushions from Richmond Upholstery today. Should have them in a week or so. I'll get them installed and the interior will be pretty nice.

Now on to searching for a used toy hauler. I'm not in the market right now, but like the RAM it was a good deal and available now. It's hard to walk in and just buy a used one worth items you want. Well at the price I'm willing to spend anyway.  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 11:44:24 PM »

you will probably never know what a favor you done yourself walking away from both those flood damage vehicles!! :'( :'(

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 08:14:39 PM »

Nice truck. It will service you for many miles. Had a 12 for a while and the only issue I ever had with it was lost a lift pump once. Be glad you didn't buy an early DEF truck. My 14 spent a lot of time at the dealer with DEF system issues
Most great stores start with a bad decision

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 10:28:38 PM »

Nice truck....plenty of life left in that Cummins. Good luck with it.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:39:18 PM »

That full submerged truck, your term, means all the airbag modules were under water. They are just no longer safe as well as the control unit and ALL the sensors. You really did yourself a favor walking away from that. IF you had insured it without disclosing the cause of title brand and level (Actual) of the water, then had a accident or loss, due to the massive cost involved you could have been charged with insurance fraud. Don't laugh, I had a couple cases like that, it was not pretty.
U made a very wise decision.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.