Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Author Topic: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 180656 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

My personal opinion on the subject is that it isn't critical to get every piece of the cat out.  The cylinders do not fire at the same time.  The two header pipes combine into a collector that not only forces the exhaust through the cat it also has to make a 90 degree turn to get to the left side.  The core bit boars a hole through the cat that is exactly the same inner diameter of the exhaust pipe providing a straight shot to the right pipe.  The 90 degree turn for the left pipe is already after the cat. 

Gas, like water and/or electricity, will take the path of least resistance.  I suppose there may be a bit of back-pressure or turbulence if you don't remove everything, but It certainly better than what you have with the cat in the pipe.  And you can't beat the price. 

Jim

I think what you have done is the best that can be done for the dollars involved.
I looked at that option and decided it wasn't the approach I wanted.
I appreciate all your pictures and video's that show what you have done.
After deciding to not drill the cat I just wanted to show that while the drilling would open it up and give you better exhaust flow there would still be restriction in the system.
Using dummy logic I felt that since the 110 was bigger than the 96, it only made sense to me that it could use better flow than a 96 which has no restrictions at all in the header pipe.

Greg

No offense!
The sign of a good man to me, is a man that's anal about his bike.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2008, 04:53:23 PM »

I have a fairly good "in" at my Harley shop and have asked for a 96" header, when they start changing pipes on other bikes.

SBB

Ditto

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »

I think what you have done is the best that can be done for the dollars involved.
I looked at that option and decided it wasn't the approach I wanted.
I appreciate all your pictures and video's that show what you have done.
After deciding to not drill the cat I just wanted to show that while the drilling would open it up and give you better exhaust flow there would still be restriction in the system.
Using dummy logic I felt that since the 110 was bigger than the 96, it only made sense to me that it could use better flow than a 96 which has no restrictions at all in the header pipe.

The CAM's are the limiting factor after the cat and exhaust is opened up.  The 110 engine cannot push more air than what the 2" pipe can carry (2" is the ID of the pipe where it connects to the exhaust port).  The small amount of cat remaining in the collector is not a problem.  The coring drill bit also makes the surface smooth as silk.  We tested this quite a bit on the dyno and compared results to other 110's they had tuned that never had cats.  I was right up with the best of them. 

Of course, everyone has an opinion on exhaust.  At the end of the day it is what sounds and feels good to you is what matters. 

Enjoy! 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »

Had to rework the mounting bracket under the transmission to shim out the header about a 1/2".
That translated to the inch I needed for clearance at the rear axil.
The 09's are wider at the rear than the previous years.
Like a dumba$$ I just assumed everything would fit perfectly.
It didn't, but with a little help it does now.

:2vrolijk_21:

Ummm... I guess you can disregard my question about this in the other thread. :oops: ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »

IMHO, swapping the original headers on the 110 with 96 headers is the cleanest option but coring a 1.6 or 1.5 inch hole in the cat would be so close to a clean pipe in air volume that you would have to have a very sophisticated ass to be able to tell the difference in performance between the two.  The pressure in the headers would decrease substantially with both options, as would the heat, while the airflow increased.  With the cat hole, the velocity of the air would be faster but I think the air volume would be damn close.  With the cat hole and Fullsacs, the slightly higher pressure in the header might be just the right amount of back pressure.  Don't have experience with that, tho.

This is almost a classic air flow / velocity / volume challenge..

I plan on coring and then moving on but I am not anal.  I am a "big picture" guy caught in a detail world.

Road hog
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »

IMHO, swapping the original headers on the 110 with 96 headers is the cleanest option but coring a 1.6 or 1.5 inch hole in the cat would be so close to a clean pipe in air volume that you would have to have a very sophisticated ass to be able to tell the difference in performance between the two.  The pressure in the headers would decrease substantially with both options, as would the heat, while the airflow increased.  With the cat hole, the velocity of the air would be faster but I think the air volume would be damn close.  With the cat hole and Fullsacs, the slightly higher pressure in the header might be just the right amount of back pressure.  Don't have experience with that, tho.

Well said Road Hog.  The 1.6" coring bit is the diameter of the core when removed.  The outside diameter of the bit is an exact match to the ID of the pipe.  It takes every bit of cat out inside of the right pipe.  The slight piece left in the collector is a minute amount.  It was undetectable on the Dyno.  We compared my results to many different 110" engines with various exhaust configurations.  Back pressure is also a good thing.  It helps the engine with torque.  Torque is king when you are at max gross weight and want to pass someone. 

That said, however, if someone wants to buy a 96" non-cat header and then wants to go through the hassle to install it then go for it.  Personally I just don't think it is worth the cost/hassle.  It is a lot of work to remove the entire exhaust system and replace it with virtually the exact same thing when the only objective is to remove a minute amount of remaining cat material.  At that point after market headers would seem to be a better choice. 

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2008, 10:36:37 AM »

No argument at all Jim. You've got a couple of bucks in a core bit et. al. Iffn you can get a 96" header right, meaning basically nothing, then you still have the old one just in case. More than likely though the old one just joins the pile of discarded exhausts taking up room in the attic. It's all good.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »

a friend of mine did this today. :coolblue: it’s not for the faint of heart. the info bout using a ratchet tie dow strap is the chits.
afterwords looking in the collector you can see half of the front pipe. how bout a fulsac 2” in left and 1.75 in right?

definitely cooler

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

ultracobbie

• Full CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 105th Anniversary
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust / Charcoal Slate
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »

Just finished removing mine.  Now it has some rumble when I put the Samson Rolled Thunder mufflers back on her.  I definetly like the looks of the original mufflers better than most others I've seen so I ordered the Fullsac 2 1/4" baffles and they should be here Monday or Tuesday.  :apple:

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »

Well said Road Hog.  The 1.6" coring bit is the diameter of the core when removed.  The outside diameter of the bit is an exact match to the ID of the pipe.  It takes every bit of cat out inside of the right pipe.  The slight piece left in the collector is a minute amount.  It was undetectable on the Dyno.  We compared my results to many different 110" engines with various exhaust configurations.  Back pressure is also a good thing.  It helps the engine with torque.  Torque is king when you are at max gross weight and want to pass someone. 

That said, however, if someone wants to buy a 96" non-cat header and then wants to go through the hassle to install it then go for it.  Personally I just don't think it is worth the cost/hassle.  It is a lot of work to remove the entire exhaust system and replace it with virtually the exact same thing when the only objective is to remove a minute amount of remaining cat material.  At that point after market headers would seem to be a better choice. 

Jim,

They didn't have any 1.6 bits when I did mine so I ordered a 1.5, Having said that, i'd sure like to get that last .100 out of the pipe, probally won't  make a hell of a lot of difference, but the obsessive compulsive,perfectionist in me says gotta have it out.....wonder if I could sneak a 1.625 carbide hole saw in there and finish it off...not sure if that will work and may have to buy two or three of them but at least I'd have it all out...Any other ideas??? Thanks Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »

a friend of mine did this today. :coolblue: it’s not for the faint of heart. the info bout using a ratchet tie dow strap is the chits.
afterwords looking in the collector you can see half of the front pipe. how bout a fulsac 2” in left and 1.75 in right?

definitely cooler

TN I like the way you think. I was wondering the same thing last night. If you restrict the right and open up the left side would the flow be more balanced. Wonder what Steve at Fullsac would think about this idea.

TN

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »

Has anybody located any other sources for the 1.5" or 1.6" core bit.  I've found several places, however none even close to the price at McGills Warehouse.  I don't want to put a lot into doing this in case I end up deciding to replace the pipes completely in the near future.  I would like to give this a shot, along with the Fullsac 2.25".  I can't do much until I find a core bit though.  Anyone?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2008, 05:58:26 PM »

Toolbarn.com

SKU   Item   Qty                                         Price    Total
JD112DCC   1-1/2" Dry Diamond Core Bit    1   List Price: $60.00
                                       Your Price: $36.84    $36.84

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2008, 06:19:12 PM »

That one is 9" long.  Will that be long enough?  I'm assuming that would just mean that I will need to cut the threaded rod to a longer length...as long as the bit is longer than the cat converter itself, I should be fine???

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »

Yes!  It's long enough.  It was nearly identical to the one I got from McGills.  My Cat was 5.125" long.  Some have said theirs was 7" but I have not confirmed that.  You'll be fine.  Don't forget to cool / lube the bit w/ oil or WD 40 from time to time while drilling. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 25 queries.