Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fltrsei & fltrsei2 vs. fltrse3  (Read 3456 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
fltrsei & fltrsei2 vs. fltrse3
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »

I just have to ask and hope I haven't missed this on another thread - if so, I apologize in advance.  I have stayed with my '01 FLTRSEI2 and just turned 49k mi with a trip planned that will take me over 50k by the end of May.  It has been a very reliable bike since I've owned it the past five years (had 16k when I bought it).  The only mechanical modifications/major fixes have been the addition of an SE air cleaner, new style cam tensioners, urethane steering head bushings and a stator replacement. 

I frankly like this bike enough to take her to 100k (one guy in our HOG club actually has a 105k+ on his '00 FLTRSEI) and was wondering from the many of you who upgraded to the '09 what your true and honest opinions are pro and con of the FLTRSEI(2) vs. the FLTRSE3.  What sparked this question in my mind (again) was a I just saw a low mileage FLTRSEI for sale and one of our CVO brethren said he wished he'd kept his.....

Cheers,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: fltrsei & fltrsei2 vs. fltrse3
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »

Seems to me you answered your own question.   :nixweiss:   This is such a subjective question....  Nothing wrong with keeping a dependable steed....

How's this for a plan?     $.02: 

1.  Ride a SERG3 and ask yourself if you really would like it better than what you have. 
            2.  Assess the cost of the new one (and the various mods you would make).
            3.  Think about what else you could do with that cash. 
            4.  Chose.

Either way:  GOOD LUCK!!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »

Thanks Greg for the $.02.  However, first impressions (test rides) are not always 100% accurate or complete.  Kind of like a new car, everyone (mostly anyway) LOVE that new car on the test ride.  I was hoping some of the folks who upgraded to the newer SERG and have ridden them some miles over some time could share their impressions/opinions when thinking back about their SEI(2)s.  thanks again, Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »

I briefly had an '00 SERG and it was a terrific bike. I was very happy w/ it and I'm sure I would be still if I'd kept it. I've got an '09 now and it's an outstanding motorcycle. The power is great and the handling is superb. But it's a hell of a lot of money to upgrade to an '09 and then make it tour worthy. If I had it to do over again I'd still get the new one. Good luck w/ your choice.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:43:59 AM »

Thanks Screamin.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »

The biggest gain is the new frame, oh, and ABS, and six speed. And the 110. And the TBW. And the cool colors. And the bitchin ass end.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »

I briefly had an '00 SERG and it was a terrific bike. I was very happy w/ it and I'm sure I would be still if I'd kept it. I've got an '09 now and it's an outstanding motorcycle. The power is great and the handling is superb. But it's a hell of a lot of money to upgrade to an '09 and then make it tour worthy. If I had it to do over again I'd still get the new one. Good luck w/ your choice.

But it's a hell of a lot of money to upgrade to an '09 and then make it tour worthy.

"and then make it tour worthy", , , What a shame to buy a touring bike, then have to make it tour worthy.

But we all do.  :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »

if $ is an issue, then your on the wrong forum
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »

The biggest gain is the new frame, oh, and ABS, and six speed. And the 110. And the TBW. And the cool colors. And the bitchin ass end.

The new frame does seem to have advantages.  And the ABS certainly can when they have the software right.  The classic SERGs can have (and they really need) a six speed though.  So that's a difference solved only by a Saturday afternoon in the garage.  The 95" is a competent engine that can easily see good numbers.  The TBW is still too often a hazard at worst or a question at best to be considered a benefit.  Colors are subjective as is the ass end.  I still find the seam on the saddlebags wretched.

So there are pros and cons either way.  The classic SERGs can be very competent touring machines.  The eagle in the fairing (to my tastes) is certainly far more dramatic than its line drawing sibling in the new bikes.  Both machines are sweet.  There's no doubt there.  But asking which is better is akin to the girl your with or the cute one across the room.  You can ride home with the one you came with or choose the new one.  Just won't know for awhile if you regret the choice.  Some of us, however, like classic good looks :2vrolijk_21: .

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:04:02 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments.   Guess technology can make a difference in nearly 10 years (frame, ABS, slicker paint jobs, etc.).  I too like Twolanerider, prefer the graphics on the classic SERGs but there is no denying that the new version is very striking.   To Twolanerider's point about power, mine has held its own against mildly modified 96s".  The magazine Baggers recently did a 2-part piece on a 95"  stage 5 upgrade from R&R (www.cart.rrcycles.com) on a carb'd '04 Road King which went from 57.8hp/63.1t to 109.8hp/99.6t - those are very respectable numbers!  I'll think I'll have to see my classic through its 50k birthday and beyond...thanks again, Blue..
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:36:33 AM by BlueSEI2 »

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »

My 00SERG came with everything! I have added highway pegs. Great ride with plenty of power and turns heads wherever I go. No heat issues. No mandatory tune. Best of all it is paid off and doesn't eat. If I ever do go newer, I will just add to the fleet.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »

My 00SERG came with everything! I have added highway pegs. Great ride with plenty of power and turns heads wherever I go. No heat issues. No mandatory tune. Best of all it is paid off and doesn't eat. If I ever do go newer, I will just add to the fleet.
Me Too  :2vrolijk_21: but I already had the highway pegs so I added a bit more chrome  :coolblue: and Diddo I would also add to the stable if and when  :pepper:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »

Same here, mine too has been a trusty steed with MM and all.  Even when the stator shot craps, it had enough in it to limp to the dealer.   Cheers, Blue

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.