Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Fan assisted oil cooler  (Read 16965 times)

PaulLavery

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: Fan assisted oil cooler
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »

Would you care to share the details please??

Not sure what else i can add to my earlier statement, just seemed to be activated most of the time, my last ride was a cold one, 9'C & i noticed the fan was running.

frenchykd

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »

Like what did you have to do to make it fit? Also pics of install?

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

Ditto
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

PaulLavery

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »

Like what did you have to do to make it fit? Also pics of install?

Sorry, haven't even tried it yet, but will post here when its done.

frenchykd

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »

Sorry, haven't even tried it yet, but will post here when its done.

I am a bit confused...You said the fan turned on few times on your last ride and now you are saying you haven't tried it and will post here when its done??

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »

So which is more helpful, a fan on he oil cooler, or fans on the heads?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

frenchykd

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »

Both would be the best thing for an air cooled bike

PaulLavery

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »

I am a bit confused...You said the fan turned on few times on your last ride and now you are saying you haven't tried it and will post here when its done??

Sorry for the confusion, i thought you were referring to fitting the fan on the '18 CVO, it would appear the CVO's come with the fan shroud but no fan & I thought thats what you meant !

With regard to my previous ride I can confirm the fan was on about 90% of the time.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »

I too had to read all of your posts more than once to try to get some clarity Paul.

"With regard to my previous ride I can confirm the fan was on about 90% of the time."

"Previous ride" is alluding to your 2017 CVO Road King I'm assuming, which I believe is a whole different animal than the air cooled 18 CVO's because of a completely different cooling and fan system, correct??

We are all awaiting information soley on the procedure of adding the cooling fan that Jerry so graciously found the part # for and what it exactly entails to complete this procedure on our air/oil cooled models.

Thanks
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2010 Night Rod Special
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

PaulLavery

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 03:22:41 AM »

"Previous ride" is alluding to your 2017 CVO Road King I'm assuming, which I believe is a whole different animal than the air cooled 18 CVO's because of a completely different cooling and fan system, correct??

Yes, 2017 Road King, but not a CVO. As far as cooling is concerned its exactly the same as the 18 CVO Street Glides, fitted with an oil cooler as standard.

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »

I too was confused about this...confirmed it has a fan shroud but no fan. When I ordered the fan only the dealer was a little miffed and said I was ordering the wrong part an it was not returnable. I moved forwarded anyway.
The part ( 26800095) comes with a new shroud, when it came in, it took about 45 minutes to install laying on my back and did not have to disconnect the oil cooler lines!, here is what I did.

1) remove the fan grill by pulling the bottom edge toward the front tire and the top hooks on. Take the two rubber grouments off of the grill, lube them up a little and insert them  into the new shroud fat side out, the lube will help when you re-install the grill.
2) remove the 2 allen bolts above the cooler holding the brain box above it for a little more wiggle room when you drop the cooler down.
3) detach the 3 wiring harnesses holders from the shroud and frame, they are the push in type. Also cut a zippy tie off.
4) unbolt the the 2 T25 bolts that hold the shroud/cooler assy. in place.
5)detach the top of the cooler from the frame and under the brain box, it lifts up and out a T slot
6)pry the right side of the shroud (it wraps around) away from the cooler with a tool, not much force needed.
7) use your thumb to push the left side of the shroud off of the cooler.
8)pull the top of the cooler down as far as possible and slide the old shroud out the top.
9) look at the old shroud, it has a hole in the bottom right corner for one of those wiring harness holders, the new shroud didn't come with the hole.
10) reverse the order, drop the new shroud with fan in from the top and snap the shroud into place where you pried it off.
11)hook the top of the shroud onto the T slot and bolt everything back into place.
12)have the dealership enable the fan in your ECM.
http://photos.ics-telcom.com/FullScreenSlideShow.aspx?gallery=4843126&mt=Photo

The second mouse gets the cheese.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »

FINALLY.... Thank you very much for this highly detailed explanation.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2010 Night Rod Special
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »

Initially the fan was sold as an individual part under that number.  It's nice to see they eventually decided to include the shroud as well.  Still pretty pricey for a fan, but it's still better than shelling out over $300 for the full kit with the cooler.  Thank you for the detailed update CVOFla.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »

I too was confused about this...confirmed it has a fan shroud but no fan. When I ordered the fan only the dealer was a little miffed and said I was ordering the wrong part an it was not returnable. I moved forwarded anyway.
The part ( 26800095) comes with a new shroud, when it came in, it took about 45 minutes to install laying on my back and did not have to disconnect the oil cooler lines!, here is what I did.

1) remove the fan grill by pulling the bottom edge toward the front tire and the top hooks on. Take the two rubber grouments off of the grill, lube them up a little and insert them  into the new shroud fat side out, the lube will help when you re-install the grill.
2) remove the 2 allen bolts above the cooler holding the brain box above it for a little more wiggle room when you drop the cooler down.
3) detach the 3 wiring harnesses holders from the shroud and frame, they are the push in type. Also cut a zippy tie off.
4) unbolt the the 2 T25 bolts that hold the shroud/cooler assy. in place.
5)detach the top of the cooler from the frame and under the brain box, it lifts up and out a T slot
6)pry the right side of the shroud (it wraps around) away from the cooler with a tool, not much force needed.
7) use your thumb to push the left side of the shroud off of the cooler.
8)pull the top of the cooler down as far as possible and slide the old shroud out the top.
9) look at the old shroud, it has a hole in the bottom right corner for one of those wiring harness holders, the new shroud didn't come with the hole.
10) reverse the order, drop the new shroud with fan in from the top and snap the shroud into place where you pried it off.
11)hook the top of the shroud onto the T slot and bolt everything back into place.
12)have the dealership enable the fan in your ECM.
http://photos.ics-telcom.com/FullScreenSlideShow.aspx?gallery=4843126&mt=Photo

Mission almost accomplished thanks to CVOFla, Jerry and others. My new cooling fan is installed but still needs to be flashed.
Just a couple of things that confused ME a little in your instructions CVOFla so I'll add a little clarification. Hope you don't mind.

#1 the words "fan grill" should read "oil cooler cover"
#2 & 5 "brain box" should read "voltage regulator"
#3 "3 wiring harnesses holders from the shroud and the frame, they are" should read "3 pin wiring harness from the back of the voltage regulator, it is" as there is only 1 plug that needs to be dealt with. I didn't need to remove the zip tie either.

This post is certainly NOT meant as criticism, just for clarity to save others from looking for things that weren't there. I could not have accomplished this upgrade without every ones  help!!

Thanks again
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2010 Night Rod Special
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »

Rayson
No disrespect taken, thanks for clairfying my instructions in hopes that it helps others as this forum has helped me many times.

Updated after the flash:
Took mine in for the 1000 mile service and to have the flash performed, they didn't charge me for the flash. After riding then checking the amount of heat it is pulling thru the cooler at a stop, its pretty significant. I highly recommend the upgrade especially if you live in a hot region.

Next upgrade is Ohlins inverted front forks and remote reservoir rear shocks.
The second mouse gets the cheese.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.